Jump to content


Marshawn Lynch E:60 puff piece


  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 BADOLBEELZ

BADOLBEELZ

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

Did anyone see the E:60 segment on Lynch?   Describing his problems with the law, they said "he hit a pedestrian and had his license revoked".......as if he just did something by accident that could happen to anyone and was punished for it?  I guess mentioning that it was a hit and run after a night of partying and that Lynch stonewalled police and never showed any accountability whatsoever and a pittance of remorse might have painted the wrong picture.  LOL ESPN, nice.   Honestly, if the Bills stuck with him thru that nonsense......which they did....they had no business trading him a year later for a mid-round pick....but damn let's not pretend this guy isn't a truly conflicted mess off the field.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ, 29 October 2013 - 10:08 PM.


#2 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,404 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

As a fan, those were some weeks that I was least proud to wear anything bills related.

Whether or not you like lynch, I don't think anyone benefits from pretending he has no history. Blows my mind that so many fans still refer to his off field stuff as "minor run ins with the law" or other various attempts to pretend he was a great guy that had an innocent mishap or two.

#3 pimp 2

pimp 2

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Let he, who is without sin,caste the first stone...ijs!

There maybe other incidents to justify your obvious contempt for the guys off the field antics (please rem these guys are in there early 20's. So don't judge them as some mature adult). But using the hit & run scenario mentioned doesn't merit IMO...have you ever been down there after the bars have emptied out, during that time? The drunks were ridiculous...add in that it was raining as well. Not saying that this justifies hitting someone but navigating through Chippewa with people obviously belligerent as can be, ignoring any rules of the road... I'll say this pedestrian crossings signs or traffic police would've controlled a lot of issues with the public drunkenness, IMO. There were more hit & run incidents & accidents down there during that time than you'll ever know. Lynch's status just happened to work against him.

#4 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,346 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

The piece was well done and showed the struggles Lynch had adjusting to the NFL.  Something I imagine most 20 yr old kids from similar backgrounds face the moment they become millionaires.

#5 BADOLBEELZ

BADOLBEELZ

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:11 AM

View Postpimp 2, on 29 October 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

Let he, who is without sin,caste the first stone...ijs!

There maybe other incidents to justify your obvious contempt for the guys off the field antics (please rem these guys are in there early 20's. So don't judge them as some mature adult). But using the hit & run scenario mentioned doesn't merit IMO...have you ever been down there after the bars have emptied out, during that time? The drunks were ridiculous...add in that it was raining as well. Not saying that this justifies hitting someone but navigating through Chippewa with people obviously belligerent as can be, ignoring any rules of the road... I'll say this pedestrian crossings signs or traffic police would've controlled a lot of issues with the public drunkenness, IMO. There were more hit & run incidents & accidents down there during that time than you'll ever know. Lynch's status just happened to work against him.

I don't really care about his character issues....but I don't think it was reasonable to dance around that in the E:60 piece.   He ran from that hit and run and refused to answer the police when they came to his house soon after the accident because he was driving drunk.  Let's not be naiive.  He just got a DWI hours before going to his own football camp for kids last summer.

#6 dave mcbride

dave mcbride

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

View Postpimp 2, on 29 October 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

Let he, who is without sin,caste the first stone...ijs!

There maybe other incidents to justify your obvious contempt for the guys off the field antics (please rem these guys are in there early 20's. So don't judge them as some mature adult). But using the hit & run scenario mentioned doesn't merit IMO...have you ever been down there after the bars have emptied out, during that time? The drunks were ridiculous...add in that it was raining as well. Not saying that this justifies hitting someone but navigating through Chippewa with people obviously belligerent as can be, ignoring any rules of the road... I'll say this pedestrian crossings signs or traffic police would've controlled a lot of issues with the public drunkenness, IMO. There were more hit & run incidents & accidents down there during that time than you'll ever know. Lynch's status just happened to work against him.

Are you honestly excusing a hit and run??

#7 Beerball

Beerball

    Things happen...

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,458 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

View Postdave mcbride, on 30 October 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

Are you honestly excusing a hit and run??
she was asking for it <_<

#8 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,404 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

View Postdave mcbride, on 30 October 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:



Are you honestly excusing a hit and run??

It was late, they were both drinking. He was young, she was foreign. Things happened - who are we to judge.


#9 MDH

MDH

    My mind is going...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,601 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

View Postdave mcbride, on 30 October 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

Are you honestly excusing a hit and run??

Hey, part of growing into a mature adult is running people over with your car and not stopping to make sure they're okay. Can anybody here honestly say they've never done the same thing?

#10 BADOLBEELZ

BADOLBEELZ

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

View Postjboyst62, on 30 October 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

The piece was well done and showed the struggles Lynch had adjusting to the NFL.  Something I imagine most 20 yr old kids from similar backgrounds face the moment they become millionaires.

I don't think it was very accurate portrayal.   We all know that young people given a lot of money can be a bad combination......but let's be honest.......how many times does the average person drive drunk before they get caught the first time?   I tailgate with a contingent of now AA guys and they will all tell you A LOT.   Perhaps 50-100 times or more in a lot of cases.   Here is a guy who has had a hit and run......with obvious suspicion that he was drunk.......and he is still driving drunk several years later at 25-26 years of age?  And this is still a struggle of adjustment?   Here is the real moral of the story:  Marshawn Lynch is his own worst enemy.   Not the projects, or the Buffalo/Oakland PD.  The same things that guys like pimp 2 are trying to excuse are going to be the things that Lynch is lamenting from his seat in rehab or maybe even in his prison interview with ESPN.   And the sad thing is that he really isn't a thug or anything even close to it, he is just utterly unaccountable for what he does off of the field.  He is still excusing his own behavior which is a bad sign IMO.

#11 first_and_ten

first_and_ten

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostMDH, on 30 October 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Hey, part of growing into a mature adult is running people over with your car and not stopping to make sure they're okay. Can anybody here honestly say they've never done the same thing?

Totally agree. Did she die? NO......anyone who has grown up in Buffalo knows what it's like to hit someone after drinking a few beers.Why is Lynch being singled out?

#12 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,346 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostBADOLBEELZ, on 30 October 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:



I don't think it was very accurate portrayal.   We all know that young people given a lot of money can be a bad combination......but let's be honest.......how many times does the average person drive drunk before they get caught the first time?   I tailgate with a contingent of now AA guys and they will all tell you A LOT.   Perhaps 50-100 times or more in a lot of cases.   Here is a guy who has had a hit and run......with obvious suspicion that he was drunk.......and he is still driving drunk several years later at 25-26 years of age?  And this is still a struggle of adjustment?   Here is the real moral of the story:  Marshawn Lynch is his own worst enemy.   Not the projects, or the Buffalo/Oakland PD.  The same things that guys like pimp 2 are trying to excuse are going to be the things that Lynch is lamenting from his seat in rehab or maybe even in his prison interview with ESPN.   And the sad thing is that he really isn't a thug or anything even close to it, he is just utterly unaccountable for what he does off of the field.  He is still excusing his own behavior which is a bad sign IMO.
cast stones. Glass houses. Blablabla

I don't expect and want anyone to admit how many times they've driven drunk and not get caught but you'd be surprised.

He grew up in a world where right and wrong are different then what you and I may perceive. And even then, you and I probably have different tolerances for that.

#13 BADOLBEELZ

BADOLBEELZ

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

View Postjboyst62, on 30 October 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

cast stones. Glass houses. Blablabla

I don't expect and want anyone to admit how many times they've driven drunk and not get caught but you'd be surprised.

He grew up in a world where right and wrong are different then what you and I may perceive. And even then, you and I probably have different tolerances for that.

Hey, I'm not going to say I don't keep a shovel and a couple bags of lime in the taligate van in the event of such a circumstance.......but as yet I have neither driven drunk or left any of my pedestrian victims for dead.

#14 chris heff

chris heff

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

View Postjboyst62, on 30 October 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

cast stones. Glass houses. Blablabla

I don't expect and want anyone to admit how many times they've driven drunk and not get caught but you'd be surprised.

He grew up in a world where right and wrong are different then what you and I may perceive. And even then, you and I probably have different tolerances for that.
Being an apologist for this type of behavior is exactly the problem. It is why guys like Lynch think they are not accountable. His behavior is stupid and self destructive. It takes a tremendous amount of work to be a professional athlete. It is a way out. Then to jeopardize that with stupidity is absurd.

#15 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,346 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

View Postchris heff, on 30 October 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:


Being an apologist for this type of behavior is exactly the problem. It is why guys like Lynch think they are not accountable. His behavior is stupid and self destructive. It takes a tremendous amount of work to be a professional athlete. It is a way out. Then to jeopardize that with stupidity is absurd.
I am not an apologist at all for this behavior. And to my knowledge Lynch served his punishment and dealtwith all iissues. He is no different then any other DWI/DUI driver.

I am not making excuses for his behavior. In fact I think he owned up to it in the interview. They did not show it all and I am sure more was said but Lynch has grown up.  There are a dime a dozen players in the league like him. That speaks for him and against him.  They can't all be angels and they won't all make the best decisions. That he served his punishment. That he is making his life better, it seems, says all I need to know. He was a troubled youth, a misguided teen and an ignorant young adult. What he is today we can only wait until tomorrow to find out. But much like everyone else in society I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

#16 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,404 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

View Postjboyst62, on 30 October 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

cast stones. Glass houses. Blablabla

I don't expect and want anyone to admit how many times they've driven drunk and not get caught but you'd be surprised.

He grew up in a world where right and wrong are different then what you and I may perceive. And even then, you and I probably have different tolerances for that.

have not driven drunk (despite millions less in resources for transportation), and if i did i like to think i wouldnt split after hitting someone.

i know a lot of people do drive drunk and part of the problem is the "everybody does it" mentality that accompanies it. he made a series of bad choices that night and if his most recent dui arrest is any indication, he didnt learn from it. its unfortunate because he is such a public figure, and such a compelling personality for a lot of people - he could do a lot of great things with his gifts (not saying he doesnt do anything, but it seems the light hasnt come on for him).

View Postjboyst62, on 30 October 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

I am not an apologist at all for this behavior. And to my knowledge Lynch served his punishment and dealtwith all iissues. He is no different then any other DWI/DUI driver.

I am not making excuses for his behavior. In fact I think he owned up to it in the interview. They did not show it all and I am sure more was said but Lynch has grown up.  There are a dime a dozen players in the league like him. That speaks for him and against him.  They can't all be angels and they won't all make the best decisions. That he served his punishment. That he is making his life better, it seems, says all I need to know. He was a troubled youth, a misguided teen and an ignorant young adult. What he is today we can only wait until tomorrow to find out. But much like everyone else in society I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

while i would normally agree on the benefit of the doubt, his pending dui charges coming to trial soon give me a little less empathy for a guy that may have simply made a mistake of a lifetime and turned things around. while my opinion means little in the life of lynch, i dont think hes earning the benefit of the doubt.

#17 BillsFanM.D.

BillsFanM.D.

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

"PUFF" piece about Marshawn?   I thought this was going to be about a weed bust.

#18 BringBackFergy

BringBackFergy

    Eternally Optimistic Some of the Time

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostBADOLBEELZ, on 30 October 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Hey, I'm not going to say I don't keep a shovel and a couple bags of lime in the taligate van in the event of such a circumstance.......but as yet I have neither driven drunk or left any of my pedestrian victims for dead.
Classic

#19 Tu-Toned

Tu-Toned

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostBillsFanM.D., on 30 October 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

"PUFF" piece about Marshawn?   I thought this was going to be about a weed bust.
Me too, you can tell where our minds are.

#20 jumbalaya

jumbalaya

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostBADOLBEELZ, on 29 October 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

Did anyone see the E:60 segment on Lynch?   Describing his problems with the law, they said "he hit a pedestrian and had his license revoked".......as if he just did something by accident that could happen to anyone and was punished for it?  I guess mentioning that it was a hit and run after a night of partying and that Lynch stonewalled police and never showed any accountability whatsoever and a pittance of remorse might have painted the wrong picture.  LOL ESPN, nice.   Honestly, if the Bills stuck with him thru that nonsense......which they did....they had no business trading him a year later for a mid-round pick....but damn let's not pretend this guy isn't a truly conflicted mess off the field.
Get over it.