Jump to content


QB Sneak


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ET1062

ET1062

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

Jeremy White has be preaching doing a QB sneak all season, the percentage of getting a first down in a short yardage situation is 80%.  The Bills had a First and Goal at the One, four QB sneaks in a row and we take a 14 point lead and an undrafted rookie QB in his first NFL start doesn't throw a pick six.  Marrone is being bullheaded by not running this play as he doesn't want to take advice from a radio talk show host in my opinion.  Not doing a QB sneak has now cost us two games this season.  I hope our new analytics guru has a talk with Doug on Monday and tells him this should be our standard play in short yardage situations.

Edited by ET1062, 03 November 2013 - 11:17 PM.


#2 dubs

dubs

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:07 PM

Agreed. 100%.

#3 HoF Watkins

HoF Watkins

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostET1062, on 03 November 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Jeremy White has be preaching doing a QB sneak all season, the percentage of getting a first down in a short yardage situation is 80%.  The Bills had a First and Goal at the One, four QB sneaks in a row and we take a 14 point lead and an undrafted rookie QB in his first NFL start doesn't throw a pick six.  Marrone is being bullheaded by not running this play as he doesn't want to take advice from a radio talk show host in my opinion.  Not doing a QB has now cost us two games this season.  I hope our new analytics guru has a talk with Doug on Monday and tells him should be our standard play in short yardage situations.

Is that the percentage on the goal line?

#4 ET1062

ET1062

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

View PostMarauder, on 03 November 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

Is that the percentage on the goal line?
  Not sure, but it worked for Detroit last week and Miami on Thursday night for TD's.  I honestly can't recall it not working mainly because it is almost never called

Edited by ET1062, 03 November 2013 - 11:14 PM.


#5 Offsides Number 76

Offsides Number 76

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

The Bills absolutely should have tried this at least once, from the spread formation, on that 1st and G.

#6 bbb

bbb

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,729 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:48 AM

My father was yelling at the TV 40+ years ago "Quarterback sneak!"  When they did it - it worked!

Look at how effective Brady has been with it for all this time.

#7 HoF Watkins

HoF Watkins

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:43 AM

No doubt, if they had run a QB sneak and it failed, this board would be lit up with people complaining about it. Am I wrong?

#8 machine gun kelly

machine gun kelly

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:53 AM

We had nothing to lose with Tuel.  If he was hurt, would we really be in worse shape with Flynn?  

I was at a sports bar yelling the same thing.  That play killed us as the Chiefs have no big comebacks.  That is not how they play.  We could have sat on that lead and just kicked field goals in any other possession.  

Although the announcers today would be saying "what's wrong with KC" vs. what the Bills are creating.

#9 drinkTHEkoolaid

drinkTHEkoolaid

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

View Postbbb, on 04 November 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

My father was yelling at the TV 40+ years ago "Quarterback sneak!"  When they did it - it worked!

Look at how effective Brady has been with it for all this time.
4th and 1 with Brady is automatic first down

Just go 4 wide spread the field out, reduce the amount of huge guys all piled up on the line of scrimmage and QB sneak it.

#10 dave mcbride

dave mcbride

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,244 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostMarauder, on 04 November 2013 - 05:43 AM, said:

No doubt, if they had run a QB sneak and it failed, this board would be lit up with people complaining about it. Am I wrong?
No, because most here are smart enough to recognize that it's absolutely the right call.

#11 BuffaloBillsMagic1

BuffaloBillsMagic1

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:13 AM

Bart Starr was turing over inhis grave yesterday and he isn't even dead yet.  Remember Starr/Kramer sneak for TC against Dallas?

#12 gobilz

gobilz

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

even my son runs the sneak in high school .scores every time at the goal line.

#13 bills_fan_in_raleigh

bills_fan_in_raleigh

    Live in Raleigh but Bleed Buffalo Sports

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

plus the sneak works well with a silent count and a simple tap on the center to snap the ball.  this way all the rest of the players are acting like its a normal play with cadence and the QB just falls to one side of center based upon D line gaps.   Works best in spread since one of the gaps over center is usually wider than the other.   If your worried about a QB injury on a sneak I think QBs are more likely injured getting sacked or scrambling in space verus a fall over the center

#14 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    10/8/14 - Welcome to Pegulaville

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,194 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

Spread the defense out and run the QB sneak.

#15 Tintonfallsbillsfan

Tintonfallsbillsfan

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

Marrone said something interesting a few weeks ago "the center and the qb have to be comfortable with it"
Now we have three qb's and never use it , It could mean Wood is not comfortable either with the play or he just hasnt had enough time with the qb to get it right .   At this point there needs to  be some kind of explanation to why they never use it
at this point it would be a tendency breaker and an alomost automatic yard

#16 Webster Guy

Webster Guy

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

The sneak and the screen play are two that we should be working on more in practice.   High percentage plays.

#17 Offsides Number 76

Offsides Number 76

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostTintonfallsbillsfan, on 04 November 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Marrone said something interesting a few weeks ago "the center and the qb have to be comfortable with it"
Now we have three qb's and never use it , It could mean Wood is not comfortable either with the play or he just hasnt had enough time with the qb to get it right .   At this point there needs to  be some kind of explanation to why they never use it
at this point it would be a tendency breaker and an alomost automatic yard

Fair point.

#18 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

    10/8/14 - Welcome to Pegulaville

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,194 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

The Most Unstoppable Play in the NFL

#19 mannc

mannc

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

View Postdave mcbride, on 04 November 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:


No, because most here are smart enough to recognize that it's absolutely the right call.
Thank you.  And the Bills are not the only team to outsmart themselves on the goal line yesterday.  Did anyone see the Chargers' sequence on 1st a goal from the 1 at the end of regulation yesterday?  Never has a team and a coaching staff more deserved to lose a game.

#20 5 Wide

5 Wide

    Saint Doug

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

Even if a sneak gets stuffed.... you lose no yardage.  Some of those running plays at the goal line are losing a yard a pop.  I absolutely HATE the bring in 3 TE's and try to blow them off the ball.  Guess what, KC brings in 3 equally large guys to blow it up.  So now, not only does the RB need to beat the Dline, they can also get stuffed by running into the back of their own guys.

Edited by 5 Wide, 04 November 2013 - 09:12 AM.