Jump to content


Looking forward to Pittsburgh


  • Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 TPS

TPS

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

Pittsburgh's defense is 31st against the run; Buffalo's offense is 6th in the run game.  This bodes  well for an away game--more running, less passing.

Pittsburgh's strength on offense is the passing game under Roethlisberger, but they've also given up 31 sacks.  Buffalo's pass-D has improved with Byrd and Gilmore back..

They should be able to win this with either EJ or Lewis at the controls.

#2 eball

eball

    Omar Sly

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,133 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostTPS, on 04 November 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Pittsburgh's defense is 31st against the run; Buffalo's offense is 6th in the run game.  This bodes  well for an away game--more running, less passing.

Pittsburgh's strength on offense is the passing game under Roethlisberger, but they've also given up 31 sacks.  Buffalo's pass-D has improved with Byrd and Gilmore back..

They should be able to win this with either EJ or Lewis at the controls.

There's an argument they "should" have won 7 of their first 9 games.  Two angry teams going into this game -- the difference is one knows they're better than their record and the other is just red-faced with embarrassment.

It goes without saying the Bills need this W or the season can officially be written off (from a playoff perspective) -- but a convincing win would be even more important to give the Bills confidence going into the following week's rematch w/ Gangrene.

#3 Boatdrinks

Boatdrinks

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

SHOULD be, but they won't. We don't match up well with their blitzing defensive scheme (they are still highly rated in total D), and Big Ben will negate our rush as we don't tackle that well in the backfield. A Smith got away several times and Ben is a tougher guy to bring down. I see a 24- 16 type loss.

#4 Wayne Cubed

Wayne Cubed

    TBD's Local Shell Fish

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostBoatdrinks, on 04 November 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

SHOULD be, but they won't. We don't match up well with their blitzing defensive scheme (they are still highly rated in total D), and Big Ben will negate our rush as we don't tackle that well in the backfield. A Smith got away several times and Ben is a tougher guy to bring down. I see a 24- 16 type loss.

First, I don't really think their blitz is working a whole lot this year, considering they only have 13 sacks.

They can blitz all they want, they're giving up 131 yards average running per game at 4.2 yards a carry and 12 rushing TD's. The Bills will just run it down their throat.

#5 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

    No Mercy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,630 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostBoatdrinks, on 04 November 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

SHOULD be, but they won't. We don't match up well with their blitzing defensive scheme (they are still highly rated in total D), and Big Ben will negate our rush as we don't tackle that well in the backfield. A Smith got away several times and Ben is a tougher guy to bring down. I see a 24- 16 type loss.

I agree. I hate this match-up.

#6 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,896 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostWayne Cubed, on 04 November 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

First, I don't really think their blitz is working a whole lot this year, considering they only have 13 sacks.

They can blitz all they want, they're giving up 131 yards average running per game at 4.2 yards a carry and 12 rushing TD's. The Bills will just run it down their throat.
Yeah I see a 55 carry game from our backs again. I wouldn't be surprised if we rushed for 300 yards

#7 Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

    he who smelt it

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

Well, it's better than looking back at Kansas City.

Edited by Captain Caveman, 04 November 2013 - 04:39 PM.


#8 BuffaloBaumer

BuffaloBaumer

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

View PostCaptain Caveman, on 04 November 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

Well, it's better than looking back at Kansas City.

Amen, and to add to that, let's get the win and have a meaningful game vs the Jets. The season dies at 7 losses and we are not there yet.....

#9 Dean Cain

Dean Cain

    DAS AUTO

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

I think a road game anywhere is a tough task. Factor in this happens to be Pittsburgh & I get nervous. Also did I mention we are playing against a QB who has gone to 3 Super Bowls and won 2. I see Tomlin & Labeau embarrassing us in a 31-10 beat down.

#10 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,896 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostBigCountryBills, on 04 November 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

I think a road game anywhere is a tough task. Factor in this happens to be Pittsburgh & I get nervous. Also did I mention we are playing against a QB who has gone to 3 Super Bowls and won 2. I see Tomlin & Labeau embarrassing us in a 31-10 beat down.
You should watch the steelers sometime before sunday. They are bad and old

#11 Boatdrinks

Boatdrinks

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 04 November 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

I agree. I hate this match-up.

Yep. And be prepared as EJM is going to be thrown into the lion's den, so fans will be screaming about him not being better than Lewis, etc. Reality is that this is a guy going into his 6th game that has missed a month. Steelers are probably better than their record indicates, and a bad physical matchup for the Bills.  Expect bumps in the road, folks. Look at the Jets. They beat the Saints, yes, but GS threw for 115 yds and completed all of 8 passes in the win. Bills fans would be ecstatic with the win, but piling on the QB saying the defense bailed him out, etc, and screaming for his benching, no? The previous week he was horrendous in a blowout loss. Yet folks somehow think he is superior to EJM. I'd love to think we beat the Steelers with 115 yards passing, be we're not the Jets D. That team is winning in spite of their QBing. I'm prepared for the inevitible pitfalls, and EJM is still in week 5 development-wise. I expect him to be a little rusty if he's in there.

View PostCaptain Hindsight, on 04 November 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

You should watch the steelers sometime before sunday. They are bad and old

Trouble is, they are physical, they blitz, and we give up fumbles like nobody's business. We ain't so great ourselves.

#12 K-9

K-9

    Long Timer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

Biggest thing I'm worried about is a letdown. It will be a coaching challenge to have these guys up for the game after dominating KC in most aspects of the game yesterday. Perhaps Marrone and Co.'s biggest test as a staff.

GO BILLS!!!

#13 Boatdrinks

Boatdrinks

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostK-9, on 04 November 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Biggest thing I'm worried about is a letdown. It will be a coaching challenge to have these guys up for the game after dominating KC in most aspects of the game yesterday. Perhaps Marrone and Co.'s biggest test as a staff.

GO BILLS!!!

Bills don't play consistently well enough to have a "letdown" by definition, anyways.

#14 kdiggz

kdiggz

    Mayor of Pegulaville

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

I'm scared. These guys are going to be fired up to play on Sunday:

http://www.nfl.com/n...s-on-steelers-d

#15 Kkspike

Kkspike

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

Old and slow.

#16 Dean Cain

Dean Cain

    DAS AUTO

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostCaptain Hindsight, on 04 November 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

You should watch the steelers sometime before sunday. They are bad and old

I watched them tie up New England. They aren't too bad.

#17 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,896 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostBigCountryBills, on 04 November 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

I watched them tie up New England. They aren't too bad.
NE défense has been poor lately. They also then gave up 55 points and 600 yards

They are very beatable

#18 Simon

Simon

    Dirty Player

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,657 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

View Postkdiggz, on 04 November 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

I'm scared. These guys are going to be fired up to play on Sunday:

http://www.nfl.com/n...s-on-steelers-d
He can get as mad as he wants.
But it's not going to change the fact that the Stillers have allowed the talent on their DLine to deteriorate badly and appear to have completely blown the rebuild on their OLine.
These guys are not good in the trenches right now; they're not even adequate at this point. They still have a couple guys scattered around the roster who can play but some uncharacteristically poor franchise decisions over the last few years have really hurt this team, likely both in the short term as well as long.

#19 TPS

TPS

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostBigCountryBills, on 04 November 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

I think a road game anywhere is a tough task. Factor in this happens to be Pittsburgh & I get nervous. Also did I mention we are playing against a QB who has gone to 3 Super Bowls and won 2. I see Tomlin & Labeau embarrassing us in a 31-10 beat down.
Pitt will gear up to stop spiller and FJ, opening up the play-action bombs.  I see the Bills winning this 27-20.

#20 NickelCity

NickelCity

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

God I want this season to still be interesting a month from now.