Jump to content


A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order


  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Bill from NYC

Bill from NYC

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,668 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

1) The drop by Gragg with 6 min. to go in the half really hurt. He did wind up being our leading receiver for the day, but this play killed a drive and he had lots of room to run. Sadly, it might have been Manuel's best pass of the game, however short.

2) Moorman.....what can I say? We all love he guy but he was horrible today and it cost us.

3) I am getting the feeling that if Kiko wasn't on this football team we might be winless.

4) By the way, Byrd impressed me today, and not just with the pick. He was encouraging other defenders, and he smacked Kyle Williams on the head after a good play. In short, he played like he really cared.

5) OK.....EJ was flat out awful today. His stats don't show just how terrible he played. Rookie? Yes. Rusty? Sure. Coming off an injury? True enough, but I admit it, he was bad enough to be concerned. But I DO like it when he runs. He is good at this.

6)Carve your name, carve your name in ice and wind.
  Search for where, search for where the rivers end,
  And where the rivers start.
  Do everything that's in you, that you feel to be your part.
  But never give your love my friend, unto a foolish heart.
  Unto a foolish heart.

7) No bad words for Spiller or Fred. In fact I praise them for hanging tough. The Steelers ganged up on the running game, played to make EJ beat them, and it worked.

8) I am not going to bash Gilmore today. We all saw what we saw. But I would like to hear from those who bash me, sing his almighty praise, and load up the excuse wagon week after week. Hey, what's up?

9) Big time kudos once again to Kyle Williams. The middle held up pretty well under the circumstances. Dareus and Branch both looked very good too.

10) The QB play hurt us just so much that the rest of the team was put at a disadvantage. I know that it's too early to jump to conclusions about EJ, and I am rooting hard for the kid.

11) Hughes can play. I heard the announcer say that he has 6 QB sacks. What a freaking trade!!!

12) OK, so the season is over in early November. There is still time to improve but we will not unless EJ does a complete turnaround. I really hope that he does get better.

13) The OL, imo, played well enough to win. They are not to blame for this mess.

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC, 10 November 2013 - 05:58 PM.


#2 Pitta

Pitta

    RFA

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Another Sunday, another miserable failure for the Buffalo Bills.

#3 marauderswr80

marauderswr80

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

No show Mario....

#4 billsfan714

billsfan714

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

The excuse makers are going to have dig deep to polish this turd of a performance. And you can officially begin draft position and draft talk from this moment.

Edited by billsfan714, 10 November 2013 - 05:10 PM.


#5 marcre

marcre

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

#2...  I'm not sure it's fair or correct to say the punter cost us.  It was really windy.  The terrible QB play cost us.  

Gilmore is still coming back from injury.  Every DB gives up plays.  He's the real deal.

#6 Rubes

Rubes

    The Doctor of Football...is IN

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

I didn't think the playcalling was particularly inspiring, either.

#7 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,365 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

we stunk today.  that's all i am adding.  i have to forgive myself right now because i did not expect any level much today.

oh, and just to throw some fire on some gasoline while people have been fussing about goodwin over graham.  how many bad plays was goodwin involved with today?  i'm not pinning it on him, but he should have come up with more.

Edited by jboyst62, 10 November 2013 - 05:17 PM.


#8 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,419 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

View Postmarauderswr80, on 10 November 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

No show Mario....
lots of double teams

#9 marcre

marcre

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostRubes, on 10 November 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

I didn't think the playcalling was particularly inspiring, either.

I really think the play calling is a product of the QB play.

#10 metzelaars_lives

metzelaars_lives

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

Gilmore was picked on a little today but that doesn't change the way I feel about the pick.  Last week you were singing the praises of Aaron Williams and look how long it took him to develop.  He was the consensus best player in camp all summer and was primed for a breakout season and the injury has undoubtedly set him back.  But yes, he has struggled a little bit the last two weeks.

View Postjboyst62, on 10 November 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

we stunk today.  that's all i am adding.  i have to forgive myself right now because i did not expect any level much today.

oh, and just to throw some fire on some gasoline while people have been fussing about goodwin over graham.  how many bad plays was goodwin involved with today?  i'm not pinning it on him, but he should have come up with more.
Dude I will give Bill in NYC the Gimore thing today (although I didn't mention that earlier this year he was bashing Dareus), but are you really trying to resurrect the Goodwin vs. Graham argument??  Come on man, let it go already.  Graham is going to get cut next season and Goodwin is an incredibly promising rookie.  Where are the WR screens to get him the ball in space?

#11 BADOLBEELZ

BADOLBEELZ

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

View PostCaptain Hindsight, on 10 November 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

lots of double teams

That was definitely the most attention anyone has given Mario.  I expect to see more of the same.  Hughes benefitted from some island opportunities but the Steelers would gladly trade that for taking Mario out of both pass and run defense.  Hughes is never going to be an edge setter in the run game.

View Postmetzelaars_lives, on 10 November 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

Gilmore was picked on a little today but that doesn't change the way I feel about the pick.  Last week you were singing the praises of Aaron Williams and look how long it took him to develop.  He was the consensus best player in camp all summer and was primed for a breakout season and the injury has undoubtedly set him back.  But yes, he has struggled a little bit the last two weeks.


Dude I will give Bill in NYC the Gimore thing today (although I didn't mention that earlier this year he was bashing Dareus), but are you really trying to resurrect the Goodwin vs. Graham argument??  Come on man, let it go already.  Graham is going to get cut next season and Goodwin is an incredibly promising rookie.  Where are the WR screens to get him the ball in space?

I don't think we have to choose sides about whether Gilmore is going to be good or not.   It's just that right now, he is not.  His lack of agility is concerning for a cb.   They just attacked him RELENTLESSLY today.  He is supposed to be a highly focused competitor but today he just looked sluggish and disinterested.  For the guy blaming it on his wrist injury though.......seriously? :lol:

#12 Marv Levy

Marv Levy

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostBill from NYC, on 10 November 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:


6)Carve your name, carve your name in ice and wind.
  Search for where, search for where the rivers end,
  And where the rivers start.
  Do everything that's in you, that you feel to be your part.
  But never give your love my friend, unto a foolish heart.

Nice! Dang i miss Jerry.

#13 BADOLBEELZ

BADOLBEELZ

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostBill from NYC, on 10 November 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

1) The drop by Gragg with 6 min. to go in the half really hurt. He did wind up being our leading receiver for the day, but this play killed a drive and he had lots of room to run. Sadly, it might have been Manuel's best pass of the game, however short.

2) Moorman.....what can I say? We all love he guy but he was horrible today and it cost us.

3) I am getting the feeling that if Kiko wasn't on this football team we might be winless.

4) By the way, Byrd impressed me today, and not just with the pick. He was encouraging other defenders, and he smacked Kyle Williams on the head after a good play. In short, he played like he really cared.

5) OK.....EJ was flat out awful today. His stats don't show just how terrible he played. Rookie? Yes. Rusty? Sure. Coming off an injury? True enough, but I admit it, he was bad enough to be concerned. But I DO like it when he runs. He is good at this.

6)Carve your name, carve your name in ice and wind.
  Search for where, search for where the rivers end,
  And where the rivers start.
  Do everything that's in you, that you feel to be your part.
  But never give your love my friend, unto a foolish heart.
  Unto a foolish heart.

7) No bad words for Spiller or Fred. In fact I praise them for hanging tough. The Steelers ganged up on the running game, played to make EJ beat them, and it worked.

8) I am not going to bash Gilmore today. We all saw what we saw. But I would like to hear from those who bash me, sing his almighty praise, and load up the excuse wagon week after week. Hey, what's up?

9) Big time kudos once again to Kyle Williams. The middle held up pretty well under the circumstances. Dareus and Branch both looked very good too.

10) The QB play hurt us just so much that the rest of the team was put at a disadvantage. I know that it's too early to jump to conclusions about EJ, and I am rooting hard for the kid.

11) Hughes can play. I heard the announcer say that he has 6 QB sacks. What a freaking trade!!!

12) OK, so the season is over in early November. There is still time to improve but we will not unless EJ does a complete turnaround. I really hope that he does get better.

13) The OL, imo, played well enough to win. They are not to blame for this mess.

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EJ looked lik Losman throwing the football today, missing easy throw after easy throw.  I can't stand Gannon and his pronunciation of offense as OW-fence but I think he must hate calling Bills games even more.  Great quarterbacking is a thing of beauty but clueless QB's who hold onto the ball, don't throw the ball until receivers are wide open,  take stupid sacks.......ALL DAY LONG........that has to be brutal for him to watch.

The lack of size in the receiving corps is predictably turning into a problem as the weather makes it harder to push the ball downfield.

#14 OldTimer1960

OldTimer1960

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

View Postmarcre, on 10 November 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

#2...  I'm not sure it's fair or correct to say the punter cost us.  It was really windy.  The terrible QB play cost us.  

Gilmore is still coming back from injury.  Every DB gives up plays.  He's the real deal.

Was it not windy for the QBs too?  Especially with the young (inexperienced and not-so-good) WRs?

I am as concerned with EJ's performance as anyone, but he is young, hasn't played in a month and has no great receivers...

#15 southtampacane

southtampacane

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

Watching Hughes taunt the Steelers after his 2nd sack turned my stomach.  The guy can play a little but we got our asses whipped and the defense was just as culpable as the offense.  Last I checked, 'scoreboard' is still the only thing that matters.

#16 marcre

marcre

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostOldTimer1960, on 10 November 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Was it not windy for the QBs too?  Especially with the young (inexperienced and not-so-good) WRs?

I am as concerned with EJ's performance as anyone, but he is young, hasn't played in a month and has no great receivers...

It was, but it has a lot less of an effect on short passes as opposed to a punt that hangs up in the air.  Even a deep pass to some extent.  

Point is, the QB play was bad.  Punting wasn't an issue to me.  

I said it before, there's no rule that says a person can't play well after missing a month.  Being young and just coming back are excuses.  I'm sick of excuses.  We've been hearing excuses for far too long.  We need better play.

#17 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,365 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

View Postmetzelaars_lives, on 10 November 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

Dude I will give Bill in NYC the Gimore thing today (although I didn't mention that earlier this year he was bashing Dareus), but are you really trying to resurrect the Goodwin vs. Graham argument??  Come on man, let it go already.  Graham is going to get cut next season and Goodwin is an incredibly promising rookie.  Where are the WR screens to get him the ball in space?
I am not going to say a rookie who has spent half of his year injured with various ailments is promising.  I am not saying Graham is any better.  I am saying both are going to be or could be average to above average at best.  If Goodwin is any better then Graham it is not going to be by a measurable amount in the long run. I base this off of his season thus far.  He is not the talent of Amendola or Welker, but he can make big plays.  Both of them play with much better QB's and spend time injured.  Goodwin has fight and he is tough, but in the middle where he is playing he does not have the strength to keep the ball when itis a physical matchup.

It is not a Graham better then Goodwin debate.  It is a Goodwin is not the all star everyone thinks.  Because most of them saying that were talking about Rogers lighting up the league at #3, Kaufman being a factor, and David Nelson being done.

It is my opinion, it may be wrong.  It is my opinion, it may be right.  No one here really knows.  Opinions vary, opinions from fans are about as reliable as something that is not reliable.  So, I am not going to campaign on this belief, but I do not see Graham or Goodwin on the curve I would have thought they would have been on toward development.  Everyone can tell me I am wrong and I could care less...because that is their opinion.

#18 Billshank Redemption

Billshank Redemption

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

I think this is your best summary of the year unfortunately, what an awful game.

#19 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,365 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

View Postmarauderswr80, on 10 November 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

No show Mario....
Yeah, rewatch the game.  Kyle Williams was a factor today because Mario Williams was not.  I think we'll be impressed when grades come out.  MW got beat bad one play not keeping contain, but that will happen.

#20 K-9

K-9

    Long Timer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

View Postjboyst62, on 10 November 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

Yeah, rewatch the game.  Kyle Williams was a factor today because Mario Williams was not.  I think we'll be impressed when grades come out.  MW got beat bad one play not keeping contain, but that will happen.

First time in his 26 games as a Bill that I saw him lose contain on a running play. ONE time. If someone had told me that would be the case when he signed, I would have been thrilled.

GO BILLS!!!