I'm also far from a CFB expert so I'd appreciate everyone's input. I won't quote it so you can quote parts if you like. Here's the text:
I haven't given up on EJ per se, but I haven't seen enough for me to outright dismiss drafting one of the top rated QBs coming out of this draft.
Off the top of my head they have only a few "needs" in the draft:
I'd take a beast WR- big speed guy who can win jump balls. Mike Evans not super fast but a 6'5" beast. There's maybe 5 guys I'd target but doesn't seem to be a Julio or AJ clone out there this year.
I'd take another corner. The gators have two real good guys and there are a lot of p good corners coming out. Again about 5 I'd consider in the first two rounds, and maybe a dozen that are worth a pick in the first four rounds.
I'd definitely look at an interior lineman, altho I don't know enough about the prospects to really make a guess as to who or where they should draft one. Glancing at projections it seems there's about 5 Gs with a top 3 round grade. I'm sensing a trend here.
I'd take a TE, but with what's out there it looks like a big drop off after the first round. However, there's a guy that got kicked off of the ducks for snorting yayo and would be worth a flier. He prob would be in conversation for first TE drafted if not for the drug arrest.
Lastly, I'd like to see another LB picked up. Khalil Mack is the obvious choice, but there seems to be a lot of good talent out there, so I'm thinking maybe they should wait til the second or third day to pick one up.
So, all that considered, unless they can get Mike Evans, I'd pass on a WR in the first. Should be a solid CB available in the second or third, so can pass on CB for the first. First round also too high for a guard IMO, so they can wait on that too.
IMO that leaves only a few options for the Bills first round pick. Evans likely gone by the time they're up, so do they take the top or one of the top TEs? Do they take Mack or CJ Mosely? Or wait and get a more traditional ILB like Skov out of Stanford in the second or third?
I submit Whaley and co. should take a looooooooong look at the glut of QBs that should be there in the first. I don't really have a favorite. I like Bridgewater a lot but he's probably going to the Jags. Don't know that Mariota will translate to the NFL, but I won't outright dismiss him. Manziel has his well documented issues, but talent trumps all. Boyd, McCarron, Murray are all viable options as are the kid from LSU, and Hundley from UCLA.
Since QB is the most important position, and the BIlls don't exactly have any glaring holes that must be addressed in the first round, they should probably grab a QB.
My super duper early mock:
1. QB- I won't put a name here bc it depends how important mobility and the read option are to the Bills. Mettenberger form LSU is safest pick, but isn't mobile at all. Otherwise it's basically a toss up between Mariota (hasn't been asked to win games with his arm), Manziel (immature boozehound), and Hundley (upside upside upside- similar to EJ, has all the tools but isn't the most polished passer).
2. Zach Martin ND- LG. He's actually an LT, but projects to G in the NFL. Should be available at our second round pick.
3. Shane Skov Stanford ILB. He may not be there by round three but if he is I think hell make a perfect compliment to Kiko. If not, I'd go for a corner or TE - Colt Lyerla is the druggie from Oregon I mentioned above. Roberson and Purifoy are the top two CBs at Florida, but they've got another in Jaylen Watkins who could be available too.
4. Deon Belue Bama CB - Assuming they picked up Skov in round three, I want them to take a flier on a guy who was a
5. L'Damian Washington Mizzou WR- 6'4" sub 4.4 40 WR. Already has 9 TDs this year. His stock will probably rise at the combine since he's been timed as fast as 4.30 in the 40 yard dash. But if he's there, I'll take him
6. Asa Watson NCState TE- Ben Watson's little brother. Stand up guy and academic all american.
7. Avery Patterson Ducks FS- Really talented but on the smallish side for a FS which reflects his draft position.
So TBDers, I ask 3.5 (lol) questions:
1. Whether or not you think the Bills should draft a QB in the first, who would you prefer they take if they do?
2. If you don't think they are taking a QB, or shouldn't take a QB, who do you think they should take?
3a. Would you take the draft I laid out here?
3b. Am I just way off with with where I've pegged guys going?
Edited by uncle flap, 14 December 2013 - 03:44 PM.