Jump to content


Marrone defends EJ


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TPS

TPS

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

from BB.com: http://blogs.buffalo...ism-for-manuel/

For the record, I thought EJ and the O was turning the corner in the Cleveland game, so I agree.

#2 over 20 years of fanhood

over 20 years of fanhood

    if at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostTPS, on 13 November 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

from BB.com: http://blogs.buffalo...ism-for-manuel/

For the record, I thought EJ and the O was turning the corner in the Cleveland game, so I agree.

That list is a total suck-fest.  Is that saying Wilson, Big Ben, Flacco, Eli, Rivers, RG3 didn't even make top 10?

I really hate that Geno is above him.

#3 vincec

vincec

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

View Postover 20 years of fanhood, on 13 November 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

That list is a total suck-fest.  Is that saying Wilson, Big Ben, Flacco, Eli, Rivers, RG3 didn't even make top 10?

I really hate that Geno is above him.
Apparently, but it's false.  For example here are RGIII statistics for his first 5 games during his rookie season:

http://espn.go.com/n...ert-griffin-iii

These stats would put him at the top of the list, so it looks like some cherry picking is going on to try and defend Manuel and fake out the public.

Edited by vincec, 13 November 2013 - 06:36 PM.


#4 jaybee

jaybee

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

View Postover 20 years of fanhood, on 13 November 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

I really hate that Geno is above him.

As do I, but cant even begin to argue otherwise. Geno, while inconsistent has made quite a few NFL caliber throws.  I think I can count on one hand the number of NFL throws EJ has made.  Geno is fun to watch.  You know he has the ability to light it up.  EJ?  Well, the next time he lights it up will be his 1st.

Marrone needs to evaluate this kid and let him play wide open the rest of the season.  He needs to know if the kid has even an ounce of potential in this league.  If he was wrong on EJ (I know I certainly was) he needs to take action sooner, rather than later.

My guess is EJ will be a career back-up QB.  Yea, its early to say that but my god he just doesnt look like he belongs.  I hope I can eat a lot of crow on that too, believe me.

#5 reddogblitz

reddogblitz

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

View Postjaybee, on 13 November 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

EJ?  Well, the next time he lights it up will be his 1st.

EJ in fact lit it up the first half vs the Ravens.  20 points in the 1st half.  70+ yards receiving to Woods including a 40 yard TD pass and a 20 yard look in pass.

Yeah, he stunk vs the Steel Curtain.  But that doesn't mean he hasn't done anything good this season.

#6 atlbillsfan1975

atlbillsfan1975

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

So far EJ looks like a guy that should have been picked in the third round.
Now EJ also has the potential to be a guy that could be the next franchise QB.  EJ has all the ability and the presence to be that guy.
I have got to wonder at what point does the fact Hackett is maybe not a good QB coach and OC come into play here?

#7 swnybillsfan

swnybillsfan

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

View Postreddogblitz, on 13 November 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

EJ in fact lit it up the first half vs the Ravens.  20 points in the 1st half.  70+ yards receiving to Woods including a 40 yard TD pass and a 20 yard look in pass.

Yeah, he stunk vs the Steel Curtain.  But that doesn't mean he hasn't done anything good this season.
he was absolutely rotten against the steelers, but that by no means tells us he is a bust. nor does it erase the positives that we have seen from him this season. and i would be really concerned at this point if his coach was not defending him. inconsistent with flashes of talent and one clunker through six starts, let's see what he's got in the next six.

#8 iEat_Phins

iEat_Phins

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Is that list supposed to be the top 10 rookie quarterback ratings through 5 games? If so, then this:

View Postvincec, on 13 November 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Apparently, but it's false.  For example here are RGIII statistics for his first 5 games during his rookie season:

http://espn.go.com/n...ert-griffin-iii

These stats would put him at the top of the list, so it looks like some cherry picking is going on to try and defend Manuel and fake out the public.

I don't know what that article/interview is trying to pull...or maybe I'm misunderstanding something =/

#9 John from Hemet

John from Hemet

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,310 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Dont you know Red?  Its only about his last game.....unless of course he does well this week

#10 RuntheDamnBall

RuntheDamnBall

    GO BILLS

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,968 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

Dick Lebeau has eaten up and confused rookie QBs many times -- and I hesitate to believe that Hackett was prepared for this.  I think EJ played poorly in this game and against the Jets, but I do think he has shown some promise.  Obviously there is just under half a season to play here -- and dude has missed a quarter of it.

The torch and pitchfork crew will always target somebody.

While we're at it, no one wants to talk about how the running game was absolute milquetoast, or how we're not dialing down the pressure on said QB with screens (other than one dropped by Chris Gragg) and slants, but EJ sucks amirite?

#11 matter2003

matter2003

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

View Postjaybee, on 13 November 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

As do I, but cant even begin to argue otherwise. Geno, while inconsistent has made quite a few NFL caliber throws.  I think I can count on one hand the number of NFL throws EJ has made.  Geno is fun to watch.  You know he has the ability to light it up.  EJ?  Well, the next time he lights it up will be his 1st.

Marrone needs to evaluate this kid and let him play wide open the rest of the season.  He needs to know if the kid has even an ounce of potential in this league.  If he was wrong on EJ (I know I certainly was) he needs to take action sooner, rather than later.

My guess is EJ will be a career back-up QB.  Yea, its early to say that but my god he just doesnt look like he belongs.  I hope I can eat a lot of crow on that too, believe me.

EJ seems to have "Trent Edwards Disease", in which he is so afraid of making a mistake, he would rather check the ball down constantly than take a chance of throwing an INT.  Sad part is, he has the arm strength to put the ball into tight spots unlike Edwards.  His footwork definitely needs some work tho, IMHO, its a large part of his poor ball location on throws...

View Postswnybillsfan, on 13 November 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

he was absolutely rotten against the steelers, but that by no means tells us he is a bust. nor does it erase the positives that we have seen from him this season. and i would be really concerned at this point if his coach was not defending him. inconsistent with flashes of talent and one clunker through six starts, let's see what he's got in the next six.

Yeah, I mean Kaepernick has been absolutely dreadful in 3 of their games this year, and Brady has been pretty bad in several as well...

I think part of our issue is we see some good performances by other QBs but then fail to remember the really bad ones

#12 Dibs

Dibs

    Myth Buster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

View Postvincec, on 13 November 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Apparently, but it's false.  For example here are RGIII statistics for his first 5 games during his rookie season:

http://espn.go.com/n...ert-griffin-iii

These stats would put him at the top of the list, so it looks like some cherry picking is going on to try and defend Manuel and fake out the public.

In fairness......and personally I don't think one can look at the stats and make any argument past "you can't call him a bust yet".....putting RG3 on the list provided would still see EJ at #4.

#13 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

View PostDibs, on 13 November 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:



In fairness......and personally I don't think one can look at the stats and make any argument past "you can't call him a bust yet".....putting RG3 on the list provided would still see EJ at #4.

And for all his hype, it'd be pretty close between the two rating wise. Rg3 if you do a simple average of his ratings those 5 weeks he'd be at like 81.

That said, I don't get the chart as is

#14 ganesh

ganesh

    You can do things on a football field that are severely illegal

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:59 AM

View Postatlbillsfan1975, on 13 November 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

So far EJ looks like a guy that should have been picked in the third round.
Now EJ also has the potential to be a guy that could be the next franchise QB.  EJ has all the ability and the presence to be that guy.
I have got to wonder at what point does the fact Hackett is maybe not a good QB coach and OC come into play here?

So far EJ has failed to consistently make his mid-range throws.  I don't think there is any point in blaming the Coach/OC.

#15 Nanker

Nanker

    Blls Nation Unite!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,554 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:05 AM

EJ will not improve on his consistency without the experience gained through multiple game time reps.
His injuries have robbed him of valuable game time and have held his progression back.
He can't afford to miss any more games. The Bills can't afford for him to miss any more games.

#16 Cash

Cash

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

The qualifier on the list the Bills put out is a minimum of 150 attempts, which seems silly and arbitrary.  However, dropping the minimum attempts would also add Matt Ryan & Joe Flacco to the list, and both would slot in below EJ:

http://espn.go.com/b...manuels-defense

Honestly, I think it's pretty meaningless no matter what.  There can't be much of a correlation between a guy's first 5 games and his whole career.  Any five game stretch is way too small a sample to mean anything.

#17 paupmvp1995

paupmvp1995

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

View Postatlbillsfan1975, on 13 November 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

So far EJ looks like a guy that should have been picked in the third round.
Now EJ also has the potential to be a guy that could be the next franchise QB.  EJ has all the ability and the presence to be that guy.
I have got to wonder at what point does the fact Hackett is maybe not a good QB coach and OC come into play here?
Don't be an apologist.  So far EJ looks like a guy who should not have been drafted...period.  What potential have you seen?  He has played scared in every game.  Doesn't want to throw the ball down the field at all.  Doesn't look like he has any confidence in his ability.  And what presence have you seen?  I have seen ZERO emotion from the guy other than when he threw the winner to Stevie against Carolina.  Usually he is sitting on the bench looking at pics of the D and the playbook, and never engaging w his receivers.  

The aura that Thad brought to the field in all his starts was 180 degrees different than EJ.  He at least carries himself like an NFL QB..  At this point, I see more upside from Thad than EJ.  Now that doen't mean he is our savior.  But he has shown a lot  more game than EJ.  If you disagree, you have not been watching the Bills this year.

#18 Stevie Ray

Stevie Ray

    SRV

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

Shades of Donahoe and his PR tactics re the Mike Williams pick over McKinnie. Instead of spending time trying to pacify the masses, how about getting a REAL QB coach to work with him. His footwork and his accuracy ARE NOT IMPROVING and THAT should be the measure when looking at whether patience is warranted or not.

#19 Dragonborn10

Dragonborn10

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Anybody watch Luck against the Rams last weekend...  Let's give it a few more games...  That being said I think I'm done with the Graham experience.

#20 Saint Doug

Saint Doug

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

Sometimes I think the Bills got "cute" in picking EJ, much in the same way they did with Whitner. If you look at EJ's whole body of work in college, he really wasn't spectacular and certainly not the best QB in last year's draft. Geno was, any way you slice it. Sure, Geno may have a bad attitude (which hasn't really surface in the pressure cooker of NY - many people were wrong here. We all predicted he would blow up) and EJ may have all the potential, but the pick was not based on EJ's college career.