Jump to content


32 Observations, week 10

PFF

  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 FeartheLosing

FeartheLosing

    In our prayers

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:44 AM


AFC East

Buffalo Bills: When E.J. Manuel is not blitzed, he has an Accuracy Percentage of 70.3%. When he is blitzed, that drops to 54.5%. That’s a difference of 15.7% which is the second-largest difference in the league.

https://www.profootb...ions-week-10-2/


Interesting read about the AFC East. Wonder if the Bills coaches will work on getting EJ ready for all those Jets blitzes coming this week?


#2 8and8Forever

8and8Forever

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:49 AM

View PostFeartheLosing, on 15 November 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:


AFC East
Buffalo Bills: When E.J. Manuel is not blitzed, he has an Accuracy Percentage of 70.3%. When he is blitzed, that drops to 54.5%. That’s a difference of 15.7% which is the second-largest difference in the league.
https://www.profootb...ions-week-10-2/

Interesting read about the AFC East. Wonder if the Bills coaches will work on getting EJ ready for all those Jets blitzes coming this week?
All this tells me is that we have a rookie QB.   Next.

#3 mead107

mead107

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,039 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:13 AM

And what is Geno' s numbers?

#4 Dibs

Dibs

    Myth Buster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,516 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostFeartheLosing, on 15 November 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:


AFC East
Buffalo Bills: When E.J. Manuel is not blitzed, he has an Accuracy Percentage of 70.3%. When he is blitzed, that drops to 54.5%. That’s a difference of 15.7% which is the second-largest difference in the league.
https://www.profootb...ions-week-10-2/

Interesting read about the AFC East. Wonder if the Bills coaches will work on getting EJ ready for all those Jets blitzes coming this week?

That's a bit of a tease stat.  Who has the largest difference in the league is my question.

#5 Vark

Vark

    UDFA

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

Minnesota Vikings: When Christian Ponder is not blitzed, he had an above average Accuracy Percentage of 76.9%. When he is blitzed, his Accuracy Percentage drops down to 58.8%. That is a difference of 18.1% which is by far the largest in the league.

#6 Dibs

Dibs

    Myth Buster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,516 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostVark, on 15 November 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

Minnesota Vikings: When Christian Ponder is not blitzed, he had an above average Accuracy Percentage of 76.9%. When he is blitzed, his Accuracy Percentage drops down to 58.8%. That is a difference of 18.1% which is by far the largest in the league.

Thanks :thumbsup:

#7 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

    No Mercy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

This stat might be skewed. For example, against the steelers, supposedly they didn't blitz at all, just dropping a ton of guys into coverage. this led to EJ checking down a lot. So maybe he had a higher completion percentage, but the plays were for like 3 yards.

#8 gjnoronh

gjnoronh

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

Also similar idea here:

San Francisco 49ers: When Colin Kaepernick is not under pressure, he has an Accuracy Percentage of 74.7%. When he is under pressure, he has an Accuracy Percentage of 47.0%. That is a difference of 27.6%, which is the largest in the league.



#9 smuvtalker

smuvtalker

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 15 November 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

This stat might be skewed. For example, against the steelers, supposedly they didn't blitz at all, just dropping a ton of guys into coverage. this led to EJ checking down a lot. So maybe he had a higher completion percentage, but the plays were for like 3 yards.

My sentiments exactly.  My personal opinion is that his 70% completion percentage is probably bolstered a bit by his high number of checkdown throws.  I'm no statistician but I'd be hard pressed to believe many of those completed passes are of the intermediate variety.

#10 Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

    RIP Ralph Wilson

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

Also 55% when blitzed doesn't sound like bad percentage.

#11 FeartheLosing

FeartheLosing

    In our prayers

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 15 November 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

This stat might be skewed. For example, against the steelers, supposedly they didn't blitz at all, just dropping a ton of guys into coverage. this led to EJ checking down a lot. So maybe he had a higher completion percentage, but the plays were for like 3 yards.
EJ only attempted 2 deep passing plays all game, one to Stevie deep left, one to Goodwin deep right, and both went incomplete.  Stevie Johnson was targeted 10 times and caught only 3 for 48. Graham was targeted 4 times and caught one pass.  7th round pick TE Chris Gragg was the Bills leading receiver with 4 catches.

Plus, the Steelers scouted out EJ pretty well and all those short passes he likes to throw went nowhere.

The Bills are in serious trouble if EJ is already feeling phantom sackers.

#12 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Mr. Beerball.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,667 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

I want these numbers on Cam Newton.  He is very similar in his tendancies to throw an errant ball when blitzed or moving out of the pocket.

#13 Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

    RIP Ralph Wilson

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

View Postjboyst62, on 15 November 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

I want these numbers on Cam Newton.  He is very similar in his tendancies to throw an errant ball when blitzed or moving out of the pocket.
How is 55% an errant throw when the NFL average for all passes is 60%?

#14 Max997

Max997

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostFeartheLosing, on 15 November 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:


AFC East

Buffalo Bills: When E.J. Manuel is not blitzed, he has an Accuracy Percentage of 70.3%. When he is blitzed, that drops to 54.5%. Thatís a difference of 15.7% which is the second-largest difference in the league.

https://www.profootb...ions-week-10-2/


Interesting read about the AFC East. Wonder if the Bills coaches will work on getting EJ ready for all those Jets blitzes coming this week?


EJ can't handle the blitz which is even more apparent when they are on the road

#15 Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

    RIP Ralph Wilson

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostMax997, on 15 November 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:



EJ can't handle the blitz which is even more apparent when they are on the road
They said 55% not 15%. How does what city the football field is on effect his response to the Blitz?

#16 Kemp2Warlick

Kemp2Warlick

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

https://www.profootb...-bills-week-11/

#17 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 15 November 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

This stat might be skewed. For example, against the steelers, supposedly they didn't blitz at all, just dropping a ton of guys into coverage. this led to EJ checking down a lot. So maybe he had a higher completion percentage, but the plays were for like 3 yards.

yea, without some sort of YPA number attached to it, solely looking at completion percentage can be a tough one.

#18 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

    No Mercy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

From ESPN.com recap:

EJ Manuel was 8-of-9 for 111 yards and two touchdowns when the Jets sent at least five pass rushers. Manuel's first attempt against the blitz was batted down by Muhammad Wilkerson, but he finished 8-for-8 with 34-yard and 43-yard touchdowns.

#19 Hopeful

Hopeful

    clearing the swamp

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 17 November 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

From ESPN.com recap:

EJ Manuel was 8-of-9 for 111 yards and two touchdowns when the Jets sent at least five pass rushers. Manuel's first attempt against the blitz was batted down by Muhammad Wilkerson, but he finished 8-for-8 with 34-yard and 43-yard touchdowns.

Live by the Blitz, die by the Blitz

#20 Ryan L Billz

Ryan L Billz

    Mad Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

View Postjboyst62, on 15 November 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

I want these numbers on Cam Newton.  He is very similar in his tendancies to throw an errant ball when blitzed or moving out of the pocket.

Embrace Cam already ...    Do it for your proud state of NC..

he's a megastud....can't wait til the panthers add a good wideout as Steve smiff is a little long in the tooth but still an animal.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PFF