Jump to content


"Bad Day in Buffalo" - Grantland Article


  • Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 buffalonian

buffalonian

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Discussing the deaths of two people at the November 15, 2012 Bills v. Dolphins game at the Ralph.

http://www.grantland...falo-bills-game

Edited by buffalonian, 12 December 2013 - 01:24 PM.


#2 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

View Postbuffalonian, on 12 December 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

Discussing the deaths of two people at the November 15, 2012 Bills v. Dolphins game at the Ralph.

http://www.grantland...falo-bills-game

Not quite sure what to make of this. Hammers is prominently mentioned though .

Again, i am one who usually defends the Ralph and tailgating, and i see nothing in this piece to make me think differently.I think he takes some cheap shots at Buffalo and the fans, stereotyping with the cigarette hanging out , the "we live in this shithole so this is all we got" etc. The fight at the bar...jesus any more cliches you can pull out?

I dont know, the more i think about this article, the more pissed i become.  I feel bad two people died...but to try to blame the Bills and their fans and the town is just whacked.

#3 matter2003

matter2003

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

What's next, an article about how Alabama has nothing but football to think of after a lady shot and killed someone at a party cause they weren't "Taking the loss seriously enough" after they lost to Auburn?

Give me a break...**** happens everywhere for all sorts of reasons

Edited by matter2003, 12 December 2013 - 02:01 PM.


#4 May Day 10

May Day 10

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

I did like how he paid tribute to the 2 "victims" and painted a real picture of their last hours (as opposed to the typical stories that say they were stopping at the game in between saving kittens from a burning tree and volunteering at the hospital).  Laying out what really happened and that these people were no angels (just like us) made it hit home.

#5 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,452 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

this article is certainly going to upset many.... but read just about any thread on the stadium experience and you will hear many regulars complaining that the culture around the games has gotten too far out of control. this didnt tell us anything that we dont regularly read on this board. none of it struck me as manufactured or fake, even if it certainly focused on the troubles instead of a broader picture of the stadium.

Edited by NoSaint, 12 December 2013 - 02:17 PM.


#6 BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

    Jim K is tough but so is being a Bills fan

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,610 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Very interesting read and a tragic situation for the families involved.  There can be no doubt that the mix of drinking, excitement and maybe a bit of misjudgment on the part of many contributes to the situation.  I certainly sit in a glass house when it comes to understanding the "story behind the story."  Luck, or bad luck, plays a part in life sometimes.  No doubt two guys lost their lives in situations where many have avoided the same fate because of a helping hand, a moment of better judgement or a favorable factor in the circumstances created a different outcome.

#7 jr1

jr1

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

I never drank in public for fear that I would be more likely to get mugged

#8 Marv's Neighbor

Marv's Neighbor

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

What a tool!  Of course anytime someone loses their life it's a "bad day,"  but to single out Buffalo as if nothing "bad" happens anywhere else is absolutely moronic.

#9 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

    Prowling.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,907 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Before I got to the pics I pictured Gerken to look like Sitter and visa versa. Weird.

#10 Campy

Campy

    Mac Cailein Mor, ne obliviscaris!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

I thought it was an interesting artice, and t didn't strike me as being anti-Buffalo in the least.

#11 buffalonian

buffalonian

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

I thought his portrayal of the stadium atmosphere was a bit dark and overstated.  While I don't think the discussion of the drinking and rowdiness was inaccurate, I do think it was exaggerated.  I just don't think the article captured what it really feels like to be at a Bills game.  People do more than just get wasted.  They hang out with family and friends and really enjoy cheering on the Bills.

That said, the story of the two men that died was both sad and compelling.

Edited by buffalonian, 12 December 2013 - 02:41 PM.


#12 stony

stony

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

Good article. Of course it's going to focus on the negative because two people lost their lives. But everything he wrote about happens every week at Bills games.

Being in my 20s, I've no problem admitting that it's this particular minority that sours it for the majority.

#13 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

    Prowling.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,907 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

View Postbuffalonian, on 12 December 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

I thought his portrayal of the stadium atmosphere was a bit dark and overstated.  While I don't think the discussion of the drinking and rowdiness was inaccurate, I do think it was exaggerated.  I just don't think the article captured what it really feels like to be at a Bills game.  People do more than just get wasted.  They hang out with family and friends and really enjoy cheering on the Bills.

That said, the story of the two men that died was both sad and compelling.

Yeah...but it's the story of how two guys may or may not have consumed enough alcohol to lead to their respective demises. Why would he mention the family section?

View Poststony, on 12 December 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

Good article. Of course it's going to focus on the negative because two people lost their lives. But everything he wrote about happens every week at Bills games.

Being in my 20s, I've no problem admitting that it's this particular minority that sours it for the majority.

I was 21 for the Saturday night game against Denver in 2005. I can assure you I said or did something wildly inappropriate thanks to the Jack Daniels, Budweiser Energy drinks (yep, giving them away for free in the parking lot), Labatt and weed coursing through my system throughout the entire day and night.

Now I'm 29, and I'm not really looking forward to the inevitable run-ins with my former self at the Phins game next weekend.

#14 Dante

Dante

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

View Postplenzmd1, on 12 December 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Not quite sure what to make of this. Hammers is prominently mentioned though .

Again, i am one who usually defends the Ralph and tailgating, and i see nothing in this piece to make me think differently.I think he takes some cheap shots at Buffalo and the fans, stereotyping with the cigarette hanging out , the "we live in this shithole so this is all we got" etc. The fight at the bar...jesus any more cliches you can pull out?

I dont know, the more i think about this article, the more pissed i become.  I feel bad two people died...but to try to blame the Bills and their fans and the town is just whacked.
First thing I think of when reading this article is how much I hate night games. Although I haven't been to a Bills home game since the 90s, I still remember how bad those Monday night games were. Way more fights and violence than the 1pm games. People have just way to much time to get shite faced and more likely to get in trouble.

#15 Lt. Dan's Revenge

Lt. Dan's Revenge

    High Motor With Upside

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostCampy, on 12 December 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

I thought it was an interesting artice, and t didn't strike me as being anti-Buffalo in the least.

Me either.  And I am always quick to jump at anything I feel is remotely anti-Buffalo.  I thought it was very interesting.  A shame for both of those families.  Lord knows this type of thing could have happened to many, including myself, at one game or another over the years.  Back when I was 17-21, I loved getting wrecked at games, as did most everyone that I attended games with.  Now that I'm in my mid-20's, I still have my fair share of beers, but would much rather be able to enjoy and analyze the entire game rather than treating as an all-day party.  I like it much better this way.

Edited by Lt. Dan's Revenge, 12 December 2013 - 03:06 PM.


#16 Gordio

Gordio

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostLt. Dan, on 12 December 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Me either.  And I am always quick to jump at anything I feel is remotely anti-Buffalo.  I thought it was very interesting.  A shame for both of those families.  Lord knows this type of thing could have happened to many, including myself, at one game or another over the years.  Back when I was 17-21, I loved getting wrecked at games, as did most everyone that I attended games with.  Now that I'm in my mid-20's, I still have my fair share of beers, but would much rather be able to enjoy and analyze the entire game rather than treating as an all-day party.  I like it much better this way.

I have pretty much gone full circle.  When I first got season tickets back in 1997(I know horrible timing) we had 12 of us that would go.  We were in our mid 20's at the time.  Man would we make a day of it.  We would meet at my friends house who lived right down the street from me usually at 6:30am for 1pm games.  We would get to the stadium no later then 7am.  Being all from Lancaster we always parked in lot 5.  At that time, there were no restrictions when you could get the.  We would get there & there would be noone even collecting at the gate.  We drive in, setup, & an attendant would come by car to car collecting money(there was only a handfull of cars in the lot.  & man would we throw a party.  We would sometimes get a keg, sometimes my friend(who was always in charge of the beer) would just have coolers of ice cold beer in the back of his pickup truck.  Each guy would give him money.  I was in charge of the food & man back then would we do it right.  My other friends pickup truck we would put 2 full size grills in & I would immediately start the gril & cook some omlettes/breakfast sausage/canadian bacon/sometimes pancakes/hashbrowns & so on.  Some guys would eat right away some guys would start cracking the beers right away.  Around 10:30/11 I would restart the grills & cook some steak/lobster tails/ribs/burgers/pork chops.  It would be something different each week.  & we would do some heavy drinking.  We would go back to my friends house after the game & build & watch the 4pm games & we would drink some more & order usually pizza & wings.  Yeah it was probably about a 10,000 calorie day for me back then.  My wife would get so disgusted with me.  I mean I would leave at 6:30am & I would not get home sometimes to 11-12 oclock at night.  Especially when we had our son.  He was sick alot when his first few years, nothing super serious, but a ton of acid reflux & stomach problems.  I am embarrassed to say she almost left me a couple times after Bills games not understanding how I could leave her all day with a screaming kid.  Looking back it was pretty selfish.  As the years gone on, a tailgate group dwindled, a few guys moved out of town, a few guys had kids & few guys just got sick of the losing.  We still have a big group for the opener & their are stragglers that come to different games but for season tickets from the original group of 12 it is only me & this other guy & we both bring our sons now.  I went to the first 3 games with my son & to be honest if it wasn't for him I would probably just go to the opener.  He loves it though & I do love spending the day with him.  As far as tailgating now, I get there between 9 & 10am, me & my friend still park in lot 5 but instead of doing keg stands & beer funnels for breakfast, we usually have a friendly game of father son football between the 4 of us(me & my son always win haha).  I will still have a few beers in the parking lot, but usually don't drink in the stadium & nothing like I used to.  I miss the old days but I don't know ever want to relive them.  There was many times back then myself or one of my friends could of ended up just like these two guys.

#17 stony

stony

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostThe Big Cat, on 12 December 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

Yeah...but it's the story of how two guys may or may not have consumed enough alcohol to lead to their respective demises. Why would he mention the family section?



I was 21 for the Saturday night game against Denver in 2005. I can assure you I said or did something wildly inappropriate thanks to the Jack Daniels, Budweiser Energy drinks (yep, giving them away for free in the parking lot), Labatt and weed coursing through my system throughout the entire day and night.

Now I'm 29, and I'm not really looking forward to the inevitable run-ins with my former self at the Phins game next weekend.

True. Pretty accurate description of my "maturation" as well.  I'd like to think I was better, but who knows. I can't remember.

#18 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,452 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostMarv, on 12 December 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

What a tool!  Of course anytime someone loses their life it's a "bad day,"  but to single out Buffalo as if nothing "bad" happens anywhere else is absolutely moronic.

I didn't take it as buffalo being singled out as the only place it happens at all. The 7000 ejections around the league make it clear that this just happens to be a specific day in a specific city that globalizes as a league wide problem. That said, buffalo has a little bit of a reputation as one of the worse places in this type of issue. If we don't like these stories, it's up to fans to help change that reputation instead of embracing it and then crying foul when people note it.

#19 The Big Cat

The Big Cat

    Prowling.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,907 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostNoSaint, on 12 December 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

I didn't take it as buffalo being singled out as the only place it happens at all. The 7000 ejections around the league make it clear that this just happens to be a specific day in a specific city that globalizes as a league wide problem. That said, buffalo has a little bit of a reputation as one of the worse places in this type of issue. If we don't like these stories, it's up to fans to help change that reputation instead of embracing it and then crying foul when people note it.

Buffalo is also increasingly becoming one of the few stadiums left that's virtually surrounded by a parking lot and/or open space, leaving open the possibility for it to become a wasteland of fire pits and crushed beer cans.

#20 stony

stony

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostNoSaint, on 12 December 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

I didn't take it as buffalo being singled out as the only place it happens at all. The 7000 ejections around the league make it clear that this just happens to be a specific day in a specific city that globalizes as a league wide problem. That said, buffalo has a little bit of a reputation as one of the worse places in this type of issue. If we don't like these stories, it's up to fans to help change that reputation instead of embracing it and then crying foul when people note it.

Agreed.

One of my favorite memories as a young kid going to the games was the sight throughout the stadium of little yellow jackets descending upon an area within the stands. I've had friends from college, all fans of the opposing team, comment on the "atmosphere" at the games. The reputation is out there and probably deserved.