Jump to content


The Toronto game may have cost the Bills a shot at the playoffs


  • Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 dave mcbride

dave mcbride

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,024 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Admittedly, I don't know where the Bills fall along the tiebreaker spectrum vis-a-vis the five 8-7 and 7-8 AFC teams, but if they had played the Atlanta game in Orchard Park, the Bills would in all likelihood be 7-8 right now. If that was the case, next Sunday's game against NE could be be truly meaningful. Someone needs to raise that with Brandon.  The Toronto series has to end.

#2 papazoid

papazoid

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

View Postdave mcbride, on 23 December 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Admittedly, I don't know where the Bills fall along the tiebreaker spectrum vis-a-vis the five 8-7 and 7-8 AFC teams, but if they had played the Atlanta game in Orchard Park, the Bills would in all likelihood be 7-8 right now. If that was the case, next Sunday's game against NE could be be truly meaningful. Someone needs to raise that with Brandon.  The Toronto series has to end.

or they could get a Franchise QB

#3 dave mcbride

dave mcbride

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,024 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

View Postpapazoid, on 23 December 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

or they could get a Franchise QB
I don't understand your point.

#4 BillnutinHouston

BillnutinHouston

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

Your premise is dead on - Stevie and Chandler never fumble at the Ralph.

#5 HoF Watkins

HoF Watkins

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

I think it will end, if not after this season, then after the next.

I don't think it cost them the playoffs though, at least not any more than the KC interception, or Justin Rogers playing CB, or about a dozen other mind-boggling mistakes.

#6 dave mcbride

dave mcbride

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,024 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostBillnutinHouston, on 23 December 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Your premise is dead on - Stevie and Chandler never fumble at the Ralph.
The reason for the sarcasm?

Atlanta is not a good team outside of domes. After tonight, they'll be either 0-5 or 0-6 outside domes this season (depending on how you count Arizona).  The weather in Buffalo that day wasn't great, and I have no doubt the Bills would have won.

#7 TheBrownBear

TheBrownBear

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

Good point.  When you think about it, the Bills are only about 3 plays away from the playoffs this year.  First time you could honestly say that since 2004.

#8 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,405 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

they would be 7-8 and not have the tiebreaker with the 7-8 steelers so they would need every 8-7 team, and the steelers to lose, i think (although i havent looked into the 6 way tiebreaker). even with that win, i think theres a good chance wed be out already, but at the very least would need about 5 games to fall in the right direction for us.


other than its location, is there any reason you picked that one and not the 8 others that we lost? heck, even throwing that game aside, we are what, 4-3 at home? not exactly a slam dunk.

#9 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,324 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

The Tampa Bay game would have been completely different as well. Not saying they would have won, but the practices and attitude going into that game would have made the preparations completely different.

The fact is, we didn't win either. But I agree with the basic premise, that we likely would have beat Atlanta at the Ralph. This team plays different, and better, at home than on the road.

#10 Johnny Hammersticks

Johnny Hammersticks

    You want a beer? How about some ether?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

View Postpapazoid, on 23 December 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:



or they could get a Franchise QB

Is this the only point you can make?  Seems like you post the same thing in every single thread regardless of the topic.  We get it dude...

#11 BillnutinHouston

BillnutinHouston

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

View Postdave mcbride, on 23 December 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

The reason for the sarcasm?

Atlanta is not a good team outside of domes. After tonight, they'll be either 0-5 or 0-6 outside domes this season (depending on how you count Arizona).  The weather in Buffalo that day wasn't great, and I have no doubt the Bills would have won.
If either Stevie or Chandler hang on to the ball, we win the Toronto game, period.

I really dislike all the Toronto drama when in reality we should have won the game.  The pair of fumbles that left us with a loss can't reasonably be blamed on the location of the game.

#12 dave mcbride

dave mcbride

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,024 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostBillnutinHouston, on 23 December 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

If either Stevie or Chandler hang on to the ball, we win the Toronto game, period.

I really dislike all the Toronto drama when in reality we should have won the game.  The pair of fumbles that left us with a loss can't reasonably be blamed on the location of the game.
The reason it was so close is because of the location. In Orchard Park it wouldn't have come down to the last seconds. Also, it was no given that Carpenter hits a 48 yard field goal (which is what it would have been). He's missed a lot of big kicks in his life. As for Chandler, he never even got to midfield, and a FG wouldn't have ended it anyway.

#13 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,405 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

View Postdave mcbride, on 23 December 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:


The reason it was so close is because of the location. In Orchard Park it wouldn't have come down to the last seconds. Also, it was no given that Carpenter hits a 48 yard field goal (which is what it would have been). He's missed a lot of big kicks in his life. As for Chandler, he never even got to midfield, and a FG wouldn't have ended it anyway.

so carpenter was no gimme, but the game being in buffalo is 100% a win?

#14 dave mcbride

dave mcbride

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,024 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostNoSaint, on 23 December 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

they would be 7-8 and not have the tiebreaker with the 7-8 steelers so they would need every 8-7 team, and the steelers to lose, i think (although i havent looked into the 6 way tiebreaker). even with that win, i think theres a good chance wed be out already, but at the very least would need about 5 games to fall in the right direction for us.


other than its location, is there any reason you picked that one and not the 8 others that we lost? heck, even throwing that game aside, we are what, 4-3 at home? not exactly a slam dunk.

It's the one game I'm sure we would have won if not for the location. As for KC, yeah, there was a bad play by Tuel, but he's a bad qb and bad qbs make bad plays. That's to be expected.

View PostNoSaint, on 23 December 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

so carpenter was no gimme, but the game being in buffalo is 100% a win?

Do you honestly think that Atlanta would have won in Buffalo on a crappy day (mid-30s)? Honestly?

Edited by dave mcbride, 23 December 2013 - 01:16 PM.


#15 CardinalScotts

CardinalScotts

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

would we have won at home in front of 44,000

#16 bananathumb

bananathumb

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

No doubt, the Toronto game cost the Bills a chance at the playoffs. Not only would they have whipped Atlanta like Miami at RWS, but their Toronto loss probably cost them the Tampa game, or at least provided the let-down that made Tampa unwinnable.  Wilson doesn't care, however, as it adds to his "Scrooge" net worth.

#17 BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

    Jim K is tough but so is being a Bills fan

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,570 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

View Postdave mcbride, on 23 December 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Admittedly, I don't know where the Bills fall along the tiebreaker spectrum vis-a-vis the five 8-7 and 7-8 AFC teams, but if they had played the Atlanta game in Orchard Park, the Bills would in all likelihood be 7-8 right now. If that was the case, next Sunday's game against NE could be be truly meaningful. Someone needs to raise that with Brandon.  The Toronto series has to end.

Why put more weight on one loss as compared to others?  I get it that the Toronto game is unpopular but to say that loss was more meaningful than the others as they relate to playoffs is a faulty argument.

#18 GG

GG

    Exit 151

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,541 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostBuffaloBill, on 23 December 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Why put more weight on one loss as compared to others?  I get it that the Toronto game is unpopular but to say that loss was more meaningful than the others as they relate to playoffs is a faulty argument.

It's not that this loss is more meaningful, it's that the location itself contributed to the loss.  In the other losses, players' mistakes contributed to the loss.  In Toronto it was the players and the dome location that gave Atlanta the edge.

#19 over 20 years of fanhood

over 20 years of fanhood

    if at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,256 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

View Postdave mcbride, on 23 December 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Admittedly, I don't know where the Bills fall along the tiebreaker spectrum vis-a-vis the five 8-7 and 7-8 AFC teams, but if they had played the Atlanta game in Orchard Park, the Bills would in all likelihood be 7-8 right now. If that was the case, next Sunday's game against NE could be be truly meaningful. Someone needs to raise that with Brandon.  The Toronto series has to end.

There are several games they should have won this year, but didn't. It's not Toronto's fault Stevie and chandler fumbled the game away.

It's not Toronto's fault they were embarrassed vs Tampa and Pittsburg. It wasn't Toronto's fault they gave Kansas City 14 point with horrible turnovers. Not Toronto's fault they couldn't stop Cinci's game tying drive.

The Bills aren't victim to an effort to grow the home market and keep the bills in buffalo.  Stop making excuses.

#20 dascottbills28

dascottbills28

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

View Postdave mcbride, on 23 December 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Admittedly, I don't know where the Bills fall along the tiebreaker spectrum vis-a-vis the five 8-7 and 7-8 AFC teams, but if they had played the Atlanta game in Orchard Park, the Bills would in all likelihood be 7-8 right now. If that was the case, next Sunday's game against NE could be be truly meaningful. Someone needs to raise that with Brandon.  The Toronto series has to end.
If we truly are a playoff team then in no way should we be losing to a team as bad as Atlanta no matter where the game is played at. For that matter, we shouldnt lose to the Tampa Bay's of the world either if we are indeed a playoff team. We had plenty of other chance this season to show that we are a playoff team and we did not come through as usual.