Jump to content


Will We Become The Lions ?


  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 T master

T master

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

At first i was happy with the Schwartz hire remembering that his D in Detroit had a edge to it that i thought would be good for the Bills to inherit , we need all the edge we can get .

But after a couple of days & like all of you reading as much as i can find about Schwartz i am starting to wonder if we will indeed be the Lions in Bills blue ?

The last time he had any really dominant defense was in 2010 in Detroit  (but that wasn't real great) then in Tenn. which at least we have the Tenn. thing to fall back on as far as hope. But as with Pettine bringing a number of his coaches along with him to Cleveland if Schwartz does the same thing & brings a few of his guys along to B/lo will it be a step forward or back ?

We already have seen what the hire of the Lions ST's coach has done for us in the rankings , dropping us from #8 to #31 or so. Then add in the hire of the QB coach of which we need !!  I just hope that Whaley & company see more than i do as a fan .

I'm not saying that i don't like the hire because i do , just after reading some of the stuff that undoubtedly you all have read too the doubt's have started to creep in so i'm looking to you all as the Bills faithful to pull me out of the funk that has started to over take the joy that was ...

#2 BillnutinHouston

BillnutinHouston

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Comparing Schwartz's D while he was the HC to ours now (with Schwartz back as DC) is apples to oranges in my opinion.  Look at what he did as DC in Tennessee.

And no mention of Crossman?

Edited by BillnutinHouston, 28 January 2014 - 01:21 PM.


#3 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,840 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostBillnutinHouston, on 28 January 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Comparing Schwartz's D while he was the HC to ours now (with Schwartz back as DC) is apples to oranges in my opinion.  Look at what he did as DC in Tennessee.

And no mention of Crossman?

his tennessee stats and scheme are not wildly different than his lions ones.

Edited by NoSaint, 28 January 2014 - 01:55 PM.


#4 BillsFan-4-Ever

BillsFan-4-Ever

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

hopefully better

#5 bobobonators

bobobonators

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

Lions have primarily failed b/c Stafford is a horrible QB and grossly overpaid.  I'd rather have no QB with the prospect of obtaining one than to be tied up to that mess long-term.

#6 Johnny Hammersticks

Johnny Hammersticks

    You want a beer? How about some ether?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

yes

#7 DC Tom

DC Tom

    Also sniping at retards from the balcony

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,228 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

We became the Lions years ago.

#8 Numark

Numark

    RFA

  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Not to be rude but what exactly are you asking/implying?

Edited by Numark, 28 January 2014 - 02:05 PM.


#9 BillsFan-4-Ever

BillsFan-4-Ever

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

View Postbobobonators, on 28 January 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

Lions have primarily failed b/c Stafford is a horrible QB and grossly overpaid.  I'd rather have no QB with the prospect of obtaining one than to be tied up to that mess long-term.

From what I heard this AM on the radio Stafford has broken / holds a lot of offensive records.   (If those records actually mean anything in the NFL itself).

He is the 4th quarterback in NFL history to throw over 5,000 yards in a single season, including one of three in the 2011 NFL season (Drew Brees and Tom Brady).

Lions records
Stafford 100th career touchdown pass moved him atop the Lions' all-time list for career passing yardage.
Most Passing Touchdowns in a Single Season: 41 (2011)   * I'll take that ANY season
Most Passing Touchdowns in a Game: 5


http://en.wikipedia....anchise_records

#10 BigBuff423

BigBuff423

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

The sad part about this....that would be an improvement if in fact it was the case...I don't WANT to be "The Lions" but considering their relevance of the last few years, prime time games, Franchise QB, and at least one playoff appearance since Bill Clinton reinvigorated the use of cigars...it would be an uptick in demonstrative performance.

#11 T master

T master

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

View PostNumark, on 28 January 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

Not to be rude but what exactly are you asking/implying?

Well i guess seeing as we have hired 3 of the Lions past coaches & the over all of their effort didn't have a very good result , the question i guess is ?

Are we bound to stay (with these hirings) the Bills as we have known them or will these hires actually help our team out of the hole they have been in for the past 13 years .

I for one hope the later of the 2 & that these guys learned from their past & put us in a better place as a team but Crossman has shown NOTHING to this point !!!

#12 chris heff

chris heff

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

The Bills original uniforms were modeled on the Lions. Those uniforms are probably still in Ralph's basement.

#13 Bubbles from Sunnyvale

Bubbles from Sunnyvale

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

I would bet, looking at the "talent" Schwartz has had elsewhere...this is the best defense he has ever coached.


(If he could do what he did with his defensive line, and no secondary...he will have just that much more to work with in Buffalo.)


Not to mention, his defenses have always been good at stopping the run, as well as getting off the field on 3rd down.

#14 Buffalo Barbarian

Buffalo Barbarian

    Kyle Williams 95

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,819 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostT master, on 28 January 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

At first i was happy with the Schwartz hire remembering that his D in Detroit had a edge to it that i thought would be good for the Bills to inherit , we need all the edge we can get .

But after a couple of days & like all of you reading as much as i can find about Schwartz i am starting to wonder if we will indeed be the Lions in Bills blue ?

The last time he had any really dominant defense was in 2010 in Detroit  (but that wasn't real great) then in Tenn. which at least we have the Tenn. thing to fall back on as far as hope. But as with Pettine bringing a number of his coaches along with him to Cleveland if Schwartz does the same thing & brings a few of his guys along to B/lo will it be a step forward or back ?

We already have seen what the hire of the Lions ST's coach has done for us in the rankings , dropping us from #8 to #31 or so. Then add in the hire of the QB coach of which we need !!  I just hope that Whaley & company see more than i do as a fan .

I'm not saying that i don't like the hire because i do , just after reading some of the stuff that undoubtedly you all have read too the doubt's have started to creep in so i'm looking to you all as the Bills faithful to pull me out of the funk that has started to over take the joy that was ...

probably but without the franchise QB and big WR.

#15 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

    No Mercy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,338 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostBigBuff423, on 28 January 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

The sad part about this....that would be an improvement if in fact it was the case...I don't WANT to be "The Lions" but considering their relevance of the last few years, prime time games, Franchise QB, and at least one playoff appearance since Bill Clinton reinvigorated the use of cigars...it would be an uptick in demonstrative performance.

If it's any consolation, the Browns are aspiring to be the Bills.

#16 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

They went from 0-16 in 2008 to the playoffs in Schwartz's 3rd year. We don't have nearly that far to go. So I hope we do become the Lions, in that way. I see a lot of similarities between the Lions and the Bills, and not in the snarky way. They hadn't been to the playoffs since 1999. Losing culture. Lots of top draft picks. Lousy economy. They found a QB and a coach and finally a way to utilize all their talent and made it back to the playoffs. Now they are looked at as a contender instead of always assumed to be coming in last. Schwartz was fired as HC for a reason - they didn't sustain what they attained in 2011. They were 6-3 and looking very strong to start the season and then couldn't finish. They had every chance to make the playoffs this year with the way things played out.  Stafford came in as a rookie and had some similar injuries early in his career, worse than EJ, yet became their franchise QB. I know many say he isn't, but whenever you go into a draft and there isn't any question about whether you need to draft a QB high, you have one in the mix. Not everyone is in the top elite tier of Manning, Brady, Brees, Rogers - all going to the HOF. You need a strong enough QB to win games and take you into the playoffs. You don't need an elite HOF QB if you have enough other pieces. That is why those 4 guys have SBs - they are elite - but they don't win every year. Because teams rise up.

#17 KGUNBILLS

KGUNBILLS

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

View PostDC Tom, on 28 January 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

We became the Lions years ago.
Not quite, they made the playoffs a few years back.

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 28 January 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

If it's any consolation, the Browns are aspiring to be the Bills.
I would be happy if they finished every season 6-10. lol

#18 ghostofbt34

ghostofbt34

    Probation

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostT master, on 28 January 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

At first i was happy with the Schwartz hire remembering that his D in Detroit had a edge to it that i thought would be good for the Bills to inherit , we need all the edge we can get .

But after a couple of days & like all of you reading as much as i can find about Schwartz i am starting to wonder if we will indeed be the Lions in Bills blue ?

The last time he had any really dominant defense was in 2010 in Detroit  (but that wasn't real great) then in Tenn. which at least we have the Tenn. thing to fall back on as far as hope. But as with Pettine bringing a number of his coaches along with him to Cleveland if Schwartz does the same thing & brings a few of his guys along to B/lo will it be a step forward or back ?

We already have seen what the hire of the Lions ST's coach has done for us in the rankings , dropping us from #8 to #31 or so. Then add in the hire of the QB coach of which we need !!  I just hope that Whaley & company see more than i do as a fan .

I'm not saying that i don't like the hire because i do , just after reading some of the stuff that undoubtedly you all have read too the doubt's have started to creep in so i'm looking to you all as the Bills faithful to pull me out of the funk that has started to over take the joy that was ...

Yes

#19 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

View PostT master, on 28 January 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

At first i was happy with the Schwartz hire remembering that his D in Detroit had a edge to it that i thought would be good for the Bills to inherit , we need all the edge we can get .

But after a couple of days & like all of you reading as much as i can find about Schwartz i am starting to wonder if we will indeed be the Lions in Bills blue ?

The last time he had any really dominant defense was in 2010 in Detroit  (but that wasn't real great) then in Tenn. which at least we have the Tenn. thing to fall back on as far as hope. But as with Pettine bringing a number of his coaches along with him to Cleveland if Schwartz does the same thing & brings a few of his guys along to B/lo will it be a step forward or back ?

We already have seen what the hire of the Lions ST's coach has done for us in the rankings , dropping us from #8 to #31 or so. Then add in the hire of the QB coach of which we need !!  I just hope that Whaley & company see more than i do as a fan .

I'm not saying that i don't like the hire because i do , just after reading some of the stuff that undoubtedly you all have read too the doubt's have started to creep in so i'm looking to you all as the Bills faithful to pull me out of the funk that has started to over take the joy that was ...
I totally get this. IMO though.... the Lions were better than the Bills this year in all phases.

#20 Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

    When your number is called you got to make a play!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

I'd like to see Dareus take a page out of Suh's book and stomp on Brady.

If that happens then the hire was well worth it.