Jump to content


Michael Sam is out.


  • Please log in to reply
662 replies to this topic

#1 agardin

agardin

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

This could be ground breaking.  I admire his courage and I hope this announcement doesn't interfere with his draft stock.

http://www.nytimes.c...draft.html?_r=0

#2 JM57

JM57

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

Brace yourselves, the stupid is coming!

UGA lineman has already tweeted (and deleted) "Glad I don't have to block Michael Sam he might get too touchy feely"

#3 NDBUFFCUSEFAN

NDBUFFCUSEFAN

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

View PostJM57, on 09 February 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

Brace yourselves, the stupid is coming!

UGA lineman has already tweeted (and deleted) "Glad I don't have to block Michael Sam he might get too touchy feely"

Twitter was made for stories like this, the number of idiots who will fire off 140 characters of pure stupid is going to be astounding.

#4 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,119 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostJM57, on 09 February 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

Brace yourselves, the stupid is coming!

UGA lineman has already tweeted (and deleted) "Glad I don't have to block Michael Sam he might get too touchy feely"
Yeah, intolerance!  Awesome!  I wish I was an NCAA football player, I'd tweet stuff about minorities playing football.  Ya know, Hispanics should stick to swimming because they're good at it.  And minorities should whatever is racist or something.  Yeah!  Intolerance!  Hip hip hooray!

#5 LVBillsBackr

LVBillsBackr

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

I admire his courage. He's in for a possible tumultuous draft process with media controversy and ultimately we will see how he is received and treated in the NFL. One thing for sure he has brass stones.

#6 SBUffalo

SBUffalo

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

This is huge. And very good news. I'm glad that he's done something so courageous. I consider myself an activist. I always speak up when ignorance comes out of those around me, and I always do what I can to support the cause.

With that said, I hope we don't see "I hope my team drafts Michael Sam" now. I would welcome him in Buffalo, but I don't want them to draft him based on this. I would draft him purely based on his ability and the team need.

#7 MattM

MattM

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Good for him--that is courageously brave.  Here's hoping that the society of the NFL has made (or makes) the strides it needs to to accept this.

Not being much of a Twitter guy myself, I'm assuming that WEO's making up that J. Martin tweet for yuks (although that is what I've personally suspected since his whole mess started)....

#8 Bronc24

Bronc24

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Hope it's a non-issue...know it will be.  I admire the young man.  


#9 RyanC883

RyanC883

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

who cares.   Seems attention seeking to me.   I do not approve of that lifestyle, but I don't care how he lives.  Can he play football?   His life choices are his own.

#10 over 20 years of fanhood

over 20 years of fanhood

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

I long for the day when this isn't even a discussion that's had.

Making it public prior to the draft is definitely taking a stand.  His outing coupled with a little ignorance or bigotry could cost him some $.

Certainly hope he doesn't lose any opportunity and that the only question about him on draft day is...  Can he get to the QB?  Without antibody uttering "depends on how cute he is..."  

Bravo.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood, 09 February 2014 - 09:16 PM.


#11 NDBUFFCUSEFAN

NDBUFFCUSEFAN

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostRyanC883, on 09 February 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

who cares.   Seems attention seeking to me.   I do not approve of that lifestyle, but I don't care how he lives.  Can he play football?   His life choices are his own.

Better to release the story on his own terms than get "found out" and let the rumors begin flying.

#12 RuntheDamnBall

RuntheDamnBall

    Go Bills

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,348 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

Much will be said about the man but he has a pretty decorated record in the toughest conference in college, and he is defusing a lot of prospective attacks by doing this before the draft - while certainly putting himself in the bullseye for others.  He also lets teams know where he stands - as teams will do with him.

His will be a story to follow.  If he drops I do hope the Bills do the right thing and take him for his talent.


View PostRyanC883, on 09 February 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

who cares.   Seems attention seeking to me.   I do not approve of that lifestyle, but I don't care how he lives.  Can he play football?   His life choices are his own.
Think about it this way - if he didn't do it, and let the rumors fly, is that better?

It won't get people to stop talking about it, but ultimately if he plays well and is already out, it will be a footnote to a good football career.  If he doesn't play well and he's closeted, you get all the kind of stuff that followed Kordell and other guys (whether they were gay or not).

#13 SageAgainstTheMachine

SageAgainstTheMachine

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

View PostRyanC883, on 09 February 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

who cares.   Seems attention seeking to me.   I do not approve of that lifestyle, but I don't care how he lives.  Can he play football?   His life choices are his own.

I see this a lot.  Do you not care or do you not approve?  It can't be both.  Not caring is, by definition, an absence of opinion.

It's also worth noting, I think, that not every gay man leads a gay "lifestyle".  Just as you probably wouldn't primarily describe your lifestyle as a straight lifestyle.

#14 RyanC883

RyanC883

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostNDBUFFCUSEFAN, on 09 February 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:



Better to release the story on his own terms than get "found out" and let the rumors begin flying.

Makes sense.  His whole team apparently knew and didn't care.  Seems like this will be an espn media frenzy and a total non-issue during the draft and his career. I'm just cynical that this isn't for some endorsement deal and an idea of his agent.

#15 Kevin

Kevin

    Slumpbuster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

Who cares if the guys gay? Does it matter?

#16 RyanC883

RyanC883

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostRuntheDamnBall, on 09 February 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

Much will be said about the man but he has a pretty decorated record in the toughest conference in college, and he is defusing a lot of prospective attacks by doing this before the draft - while certainly putting himself in the bullseye for others.  He also lets teams know where he stands - as teams will do with him.

His will be a story to follow.  If he drops I do hope the Bills do the right thing and take him for his talent.



Think about it this way - if he didn't do it, and let the rumors fly, is that better?

It won't get people to stop talking about it, but ultimately if he plays well and is already out, it will be a footnote to a good football career.  If he doesn't play well and he's closeted, you get all the kind of stuff that followed Kordell and other guys (whether they were gay or not).

I don't think it does anything to his draft stock.   I just hope he doesn't end up on a crazy team like Miami, NYJ etc.

#17 RuntheDamnBall

RuntheDamnBall

    Go Bills

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,348 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

View PostRyanC883, on 09 February 2014 - 09:23 PM, said:

Makes sense.  His whole team apparently knew and didn't care.  Seems like this will be an espn media frenzy and a total non-issue during the draft and his career. I'm just cynical that this isn't for some endorsement deal and an idea of his agent.
I'm sure his agent is thrilled that he'll probably be dropping a round in the draft and ready for all sorts of lucrative gay-oriented endorsements.  Are you serious?

View PostRyanC883, on 09 February 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

I don't think it does anything to his draft stock.   I just hope he doesn't end up on a crazy team like Miami, NYJ etc.
You obviously aren't seeing the kinds of questions that scouts are asking players, then.

#18 SageAgainstTheMachine

SageAgainstTheMachine

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

View PostKevin, on 09 February 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

Who cares if the guys gay? Does it matter?

Shouldn't matter.  Still does.  Shouldn't have mattered that Jackie Robinson was black.

#19 RyanC883

RyanC883

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

View PostSageAgainstTheMachine, on 09 February 2014 - 09:22 PM, said:



I see this a lot.  Do you not care or do you not approve?  It can't be both.  Not caring is, by definition, an absence of opinion.

It's also worth noting, I think, that not every gay man leads a gay "lifestyle".  Just as you probably wouldn't primarily describe your lifestyle as a straight lifestyle.

It can be both.   I do not approve as in I think practicing homosexual behavior is a sin.  But, I do not care if he is a practicing homosexual.   That is his call to make.   Muslims believe drinking is a sin.  Jews believe eating pork is a sin.  They don't approve of these things, but they don't care that I drink and eat pork.   I know they think it's sinful and respect that.

#20 Kevin

Kevin

    Slumpbuster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

View PostSageAgainstTheMachine, on 09 February 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:



Shouldn't matter.  Still does.  Shouldn't have mattered that Jackie Robinson was black.

Speaking of 42 I just watched the movie yesterday. Amazing, that wasn't that long ago.