Jump to content


What does Marrone mean? Coaches? QBs?


  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Beerball

Beerball

    Things happen...

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,517 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

Quote

I basically have three coaches on this staff now that have coached that position and coached that quarterback, two having coordinated here in the NFL. I've set it up so we have the ability to go either way.
Did anyone listen to the interview? I'm wondering if Marrone said more that wasn't quoted.

http://espn.go.com/b...in-kolbs-status

#2 bananathumb

bananathumb

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Who ever knows what Mumbles means?  He has hired babysitters for his OC, that's for sure.  Many chefs in the same kitchen.

#3 Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

So Downing coached EJ at the senior bowl, plus last season Hackert, so they have both been defacto QB coaches and have/will coach EJ that's two, not sure who the third is.  Hostler and Hackert have both been OC, those are the two coordinators he's referring to.  So just not sure whom the thirs person he's referring to who was a QB coach and coached EJ?  But the rest makes sense.

#4 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Wow, I have no idea what he is talking about there...definitely coaches, not QBs, when saying they have the ability to go either way, but I don't know what those two ways are referring to. lol.

#5 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,519 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

It seems like the Bills Defense circa 2011.  George Edwards/Wannstadt/etc.  Like we have a really good backup plan in theory and some good ideas on the back burner but the front end is only on low.

I've been very put off by some of these moves recently.

#6 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

View Postjboyst62, on 15 February 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

It seems like the Bills Defense circa 2011.  George Edwards/Wannstadt/etc.  Like we have a really good backup plan in theory and some good ideas on the back burner but the front end is only on low.

I've been very put off by some of these moves recently.
I actually love the coaching moves - some they had to make, some they didn't. But I have a hard time understanding a lot of times what Marrone is talking about, especially when it is in print. I think he talks a lot and says nothing, like a lot of coaches.

#7 bananathumb

bananathumb

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

View PostYoloinOhio, on 15 February 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

I actually love the coaching moves - some they had to make, some they didn't. But I have a hard time understanding a lot of times what Marrone is talking about, especially when it is in print. I think he talks a lot and says nothing, like a lot of coaches.

Problem is, he thinks a lot and there's nothing but an echo. Not your brightest bulb, considering somehow he got a job as an NFL NC.

#8 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

View Postbananathumb, on 15 February 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

Problem is, he thinks a lot and there's nothing but an echo. Not your brightest bulb, considering somehow he got a job as an NFL NC.
I don't know enough  about him  to pass judgement on his overall intelligence, football or coaching intelligence. I think it is hard to determine these things based on how one talks, but I simply think he tends to not want to disclose much while still "appeasing" the media and fans need for info/insight, and he often has a difficult time walking this line in an articulate manner.

#9 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostBeerball, on 15 February 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

Did anyone listen to the interview? I'm wondering if Marrone said more that wasn't quoted.

http://espn.go.com/b...in-kolbs-status

He was talking about adding a veteran QB or sticking with Lewis and Tuel behind EJ.

#10 3rdand12

3rdand12

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostYoloinOhio, on 15 February 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

I actually love the coaching moves - some they had to make, some they didn't. But I have a hard time understanding a lot of times what Marrone is talking about, especially when it is in print. I think he talks a lot and says nothing, like a lot of coaches.
I listened to it . He was talking about having coaches who could step in in case someone left and guys who can educatedly advise multiple disciplnes (postions, and coaching ?Coord. titles.
I liked the interview. He sounds like he was planning this all along.
He also was talking about Pettine leaving and having a plan , He and Whaley think have a back up plan  for any contingency . I assume he is preparing for Schwaatz leaving already ,.
Seems he is on the phone rrecruiting and feeling coaches out all year long .
And he is smart as hell actually

#11 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

View PostTheTruthHurts, on 15 February 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

He was talking about adding a veteran QB or sticking with Lewis and Tuel behind EJ.
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense now.

View Post3rdand12, on 15 February 2014 - 05:43 PM, said:

I listened to it . He was talking about having coaches who could step in in case someone left and guys who can educatedly advise multiple disciplnes (postions, and coaching ?Coord. titles.
I liked the interview. He sounds like he was planning this all along.
He also was talking about Pettine leaving and having a plan , He and Whaley think have a back up plan  for any contingency . I assume he is preparing for Schwaatz leaving already ,.
Seems he is on the phone rrecruiting and feeling coaches out all year long .
And he is smart as hell actually
I think you need to be in order to be a HC in D-1 CFB and NFL. I can't imagine why people would assume he isn't.

#12 3rdand12

3rdand12

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

View PostYoloinOhio, on 15 February 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense now.

I think you need to be in order to be a HC in D-1 CFB and NFL. I can't imagine why people would assume he isn't.
I realize i may be in the minority with my optimism . But i do pay attention to what these guys say.
I read Peppers interview and went to myself " thats underwhelming " But then i watched it and because of his body language and expressions i came away with a much better opinion . so sometimes perceptions , whether print ,listening to WGR or watching can affect us one way or another i suppose

#13 RuntheDamnBall

RuntheDamnBall

    GO BILLS

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,036 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostYoloinOhio, on 15 February 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense now.

I think you need to be in order to be a HC in D-1 CFB and NFL. I can't imagine why people would assume he isn't.
They want to dissect every word or phrase and when it doesn't sound like vintage Lombardi, it falls short.  Our current media environment in particular enables this.

I don't really care what our coach sounds like or how many times he says "obviously."  Belicheck is among the most boring interviews you'll get, but he obviously has had his team in a good place for a really long time.

Results.  Nothing else.

#14 3rdand12

3rdand12

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

View PostRuntheDamnBall, on 15 February 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

They want to dissect every word or phrase and when it doesn't sound like vintage Lombardi, it falls short.  Our current media environment in particular enables this.

I don't really care what our coach sounds like or how many times he says "obviously."  Belicheck is among the most boring interviews you'll get, but he obviously has had his team in a good place for a really long time.

Results.  Nothing else.
Marrone . I find him humorous ,and i am laughing with him.
Some people i just get.
Belicheck is just a trip . Too smart . I cant see him ever retiring. he just lives it.
Marrone is not far off from that without being isolated from us.
we shall see if he can gain the teams confidence and devotion and of course the lacking field disciplines this year.
We Bills fan say this alot with so much change over , but this is an important offseason and season for Bills staff. From Whaley to Pagac

#15 jumbalaya

jumbalaya

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:26 AM

They sure overplay the fact that Downing coached EJ is a freaking meaningless senior bowl game.  He met the guy for a week, coached him and three other QBs, installed a few simple plays and barely knew him.  But to hear it retold its like they had to pry them apart with a crow bar.  C'mon. I have met more than a few drunks that I bonded with more in a few hours than this.  I'd rather a guy said, yeah, I coached him for a week, his game has so many flaws its hard to imagine him as a pro right now, but give me a few years and I will fix him or he will be on the street.

#16 billsfan1959

billsfan1959

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

View Postjumbalaya, on 16 February 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

They sure overplay the fact that Downing coached EJ is a freaking meaningless senior bowl game.  He met the guy for a week, coached him and three other QBs, installed a few simple plays and barely knew him.  But to hear it retold its like they had to pry them apart with a crow bar.  C'mon. I have met more than a few drunks that I bonded with more in a few hours than this.  I'd rather a guy said, yeah, I coached him for a week, his game has so many flaws its hard to imagine him as a pro right now, but give me a few years and I will fix him or he will be on the street.

First, I don't think it should be surprising to anyone that a coach coming to a new team is going to be singing the praises of the organization, the team, or any individual player - would anyone really expect anything different? Second, simply out of curiosity, of all of the things you could choose in terms of what you'd "rather" hear him say, why would it be this?

#17 RuntheDamnBall

RuntheDamnBall

    GO BILLS

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,036 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

View Postbillsfan1959, on 16 February 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

First, I don't think it should be surprising to anyone that a coach coming to a new team is going to be singing the praises of the organization, the team, or any individual player - would anyone really expect anything different? Second, simply out of curiosity, of all of the things you could choose in terms of what you'd "rather" hear him say, why would it be this?
Exactly.  People act surprised that they live in a PR-driven universe all the time.  Football is entertainment product.  We'd do well to remember that.

#18 Doc

Doc

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,464 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

View Postjboyst62, on 15 February 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

It seems like the Bills Defense circa 2011.  George Edwards/Wannstadt/etc.  Like we have a really good backup plan in theory and some good ideas on the back burner but the front end is only on low.

I've been very put off by some of these moves recently.
Which ones?  I like them all, although I'm not sure of what Pagac brings.

#19 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostDoc, on 16 February 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Which ones?  I like them all, although I'm not sure of what Pagac brings.
36 years of experience coaching LBs

#20 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,519 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

View PostDoc, on 16 February 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Which ones?  I like them all, although I'm not sure of what Pagac brings.
I suppose the best way to say it would be adding how they were made. On the good side we had a backup plan with losing the guys to Cleveland and we pursued it quickly. But I don't like how we let some of those guys go and I know he consequences of resuming to let some coaches interview but still think saying no might have been an option. And once the new guys were introduced the same nonsense was told to us again. That we have a better guy then before. And have things to look forward to. And this is a good choice for the team...

All of that made me wonder why we didn't get these guys until just now if they are better?  It still feels plan 'b' to me.