Jump to content


Can Bills Fans Own and Operate a New Stadium?


  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Tu-Toned

Tu-Toned

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

I have read a lot of posts about ideas to keep the team in Buffalo, and maybe
this has been discussed before, but could the fans do this?

If the NFL has rules against minority or fractured ownership and prevents a situation
like Green Bay where the Fans own the team, why can't the Bills Fans finance the
new stadium. Taxpayers that are against financing a new stadium can opt out, those
opting in will share in the revenues and have a real ownership stake.

It would take the financial burden off of the state and county, as well as make it much
easier for a new owner to keep them here. We say when and how ticket prices are set,
we control the psl revenue, we decide where it will be located and how it will be run.
If we can't own the team, maybe this is the next best scenario, and we keep the slime ball
politicians out of it, maybe we can use them to secure the land.

Thoughts?

#2 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,798 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

It's been covered many times, and the answer is no: NFL teams cannot be owned in this fashion--the Packers are grandfathered in and a unique situation.

#3 Tu-Toned

Tu-Toned

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

View Postthebandit27, on 02 April 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

It's been covered many times, and the answer is no: NFL teams cannot be owned in this fashion--the Packers are grandfathered in and a unique situation.
Not talking team ownership, but stadium ownership.

#4 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

    TBD's franchise poster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,789 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

View Postthebandit27, on 02 April 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

It's been covered many times, and the answer is no: NFL teams cannot be owned in this fashion--the Packers are grandfathered in and a unique situation.
Except he is asking about fans owning the stadium which I don't believe they're are any rules against.. But it's a pretty unrealistic concept. How are fans going to raise a billion dollars? Who will be in charge? What happens if the Bills leave anyway?

#5 BringBackFergy

BringBackFergy

    Eternally Optimistic Some of the Time

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

$800,000,000 / 200,000 people = $4000/person.  I'm in....but I call I get seats at the 50, 20 rows up.  As part owner, I want a good deal and DON'T put me next to Beerball.    (actually, this is a cool concept. Be interested to see what others with a background in financing and NFL rules have to say about it).

#6 Tu-Toned

Tu-Toned

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostBringBackFergy, on 02 April 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

$800,000,000 / 200,000 people = $4000/person.  I'm in....but I call I get seats at the 50, 20 rows up.  As part owner, I want a good deal and DON'T put me next to Beerball.    (actually, this is a cool concept. Be interested to see what others with a background in financing and NFL rules have to say about it).
I could easily and happily muster $4k, I'm in.

#7 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,798 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostTu-Toned, on 02 April 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

Not talking team ownership, but stadium ownership.

Wow...sorry...missed that...not sure.  I looked up the bylaws and cannot find anything relating to it...so I suppose anything is possible.

#8 CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

View PostBringBackFergy, on 02 April 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

$800,000,000 / 200,000 people = $4000/person.  I'm in....but I call I get seats at the 50, 20 rows up.  As part owner, I want a good deal and DON'T put me next to Beerball. (actually, this is a cool concept. Be interested to see what others with a background in financing and NFL rules have to say about it).
That's an interesting concept.  Are there 200,000 people in the world that care enough about the Bills staying in Buffalo to essentially donate $4000 to the cause with no expectation of any return. Assuming that would guarantee the Bills staying if the money was raised.

Edited by CodeMonkey, 02 April 2014 - 09:33 AM.


#9 Tu-Toned

Tu-Toned

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

View Postthebandit27, on 02 April 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:



Wow...sorry...missed that...not sure.  I looked up the bylaws and cannot find anything relating to it...so I suppose anything is possible.
It would truly be "Our House".

#10 BringBackFergy

BringBackFergy

    Eternally Optimistic Some of the Time

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostTu-Toned, on 02 April 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

I could easily and happily muster $4k, I'm in.
Lucas Oil Field cost $720,000,000 but has a lot of bells and whistles. With the rate of inflation, Lucas Oil would probably cost $900,000,000 today. So we build a scaled down version with room to expand in 10 years. Nowwwwww, how to get 200,000 people to agree on a design. Ohhh, and where to buy the land? Insurance? Heating? Jumbotrons? Food? Parking? Blacktop? Plumbing? What happens when the Bills actually move in 2035 (or whenever)? Who will want to buy a gigantic stadium?  We would need to get $4 million / year from the Bills (and other tenants/concerts, etc) to pay off the $800 million in 20 years.  Doable??

#11 Tu-Toned

Tu-Toned

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostCodeMonkey, on 02 April 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:


That's an interesting concept.  Are there 200,000 people in the world that care enough about the Bills staying in Buffalo to essentially donate $4000 to the cause with no expectation of any return.
Well crap most of us already have way more invested than that, emotionally and financially, and not much
return to date. But that is why we are Bills Fans!

View PostBringBackFergy, on 02 April 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:


Lucas Oil Field cost $720,000,000 but has a lot of bells and whistles. With the rate of inflation, Lucas Oil would probably cost $900,000,000 today. So we build a scaled down version with room to expand in 10 years. Nowwwwww, how to get 200,000 people to agree on a design. Ohhh, and where to buy the land? Insurance? Heating? Jumbotrons? Food? Parking? Blacktop? Plumbing? What happens when the Bills actually move in 2035 (or whenever)? Who will want to buy a gigantic stadium?  We would need to get $4 million / year from the Bills (and other tenants/concerts, etc) to pay off the $800 million in 20 years.  Doable??
We have a central management committee, elected or appointed. Whoever we put our trust in, we do exactly
that and let them make those decisions. We run this thing like a Corporation.

#12 May Day 10

May Day 10

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

I would put that much in.

Also, the State and COunty could/would kick in something.  Doesnt the NFL also have a fund for stadiums too?

#13 Rivermont Mike

Rivermont Mike

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PostTu-Toned, on 02 April 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

Well crap most of us already have way more invested than that, emotionally and financially, and not much
return to date. But that is why we are Bills Fans!


We have a central management committee, elected or appointed. Whoever we put our trust in, we do exactly
that and let them make those decisions. We run this thing like a Corporation.

I don't know if I could get you 200,000 people, but I could find 55,000 who would put up $10,000 for a transferable PSL--especially if you offered the option to pay over four years. I'd buy one right now. There's $550,000,000--over half the cost. Throw in 100 suite owners at $500,000 each--there's another $50,000,000. You're going to derive revenue annually from the team/teams, and if it is designed right, you can have conference space and retail space (think Patriots* Place) that generates revenue. Some state and federal economic development money, and a few deep-pocketed investors and you're there. NO taxpayer funding at all. I'd put it in Niagara Falls to keep our Rochester and Toronto fans happy. Suite owners and major investors share revenues from concessions, events. PSL owners have the appreciating value of the PSL and the fun of attending Bills games.

Man, that's good. Revitalizes the Falls, too. That settles it...I am moving back to NYS and running for governor.

Oh yeah, and we cut a deal that requires the county and the taxpayers to contribute for maintenance and upkeep on a sliding scale based on revenue generated and economic development created by the facility.

Edited by Rivermont Mike, 02 April 2014 - 09:48 AM.


#14 BringBackFergy

BringBackFergy

    Eternally Optimistic Some of the Time

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PostMay Day 10, on 02 April 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

I would put that much in.

Also, the State and COunty could/would kick in something.  Doesnt the NFL also have a fund for stadiums too?
May Day...love the name. I would respectfully say the farther the State and the County stay away from Tu-Tone's project the better.

#15 Tu-Toned

Tu-Toned

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostTu-Toned, on 02 April 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:


Well crap most of us already have way more invested than that, emotionally and financially, and not much
return to date. But that is why we are Bills Fans!


We have a central management committee, elected or appointed. Whoever we put our trust in, we do exactly
that and let them make those decisions. We run this thing like a Corporation.

I am a Purchasing Manager by trade, and have a good understanding of common business practices.
I maybe a bit weak in the entertainment arena, but business is business, and what I can't handle, I make
sure that we appoint the right person that can.

I do know how to save money and push people to do better, and you can bet your bottom dollar that
I would be out there kicking the siht out of tires. I am your man, I will post my forwarding address
for your checks shortly.

It's on like a "Mo Fo"!

Edited by Tu-Toned, 02 April 2014 - 09:52 AM.


#16 BringBackFergy

BringBackFergy

    Eternally Optimistic Some of the Time

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostTu-Toned, on 02 April 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

I am a Purchasing Manager by trade, and have a good understanding of common business practices.
I maybe a bit weak in the entertainment arena, but business is business, and what I can't handle, I make
sure that we appoint the right person that can.

I do know how to save money and push people to do better, and you can bet your bottom dollar that
I would be out there kicking the siht out of tires. I am your man, I will post my forwarding address
for your checks shortly.
Checks made payable to "Tu-Toned Spring Break Getaway Cancun 2014" ????

#17 Tu-Toned

Tu-Toned

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

View PostBringBackFergy, on 02 April 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:


Checks made payable to "Tu-Toned Spring Break Getaway Cancun 2014" ????
Exactly! All joking aside, I would do anything for my Bills, and I am totally serious.

#18 BillsFanM.D.

BillsFanM.D.

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostTu-Toned, on 02 April 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

I could easily and happily muster $4k, I'm in.
fixed.  

View PostTu-Toned, on 02 April 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

Well crap most of us already have way more invested than that, emotionally and financially, and not much
return to date. But that is why we are Bills Fans!
:lol:

View PostTu-Toned, on 02 April 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

I am a Purchasing Manager by trade, and have a good understanding of common business practices.
I maybe a bit weak in the entertainment arena, but business is business, and what I can't handle, I make
sure that we appoint the right person that can.


That's good dogma.  Know what you know, know what you don't...and know when to ask for help.

#19 Charles Romes

Charles Romes

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

View Postthebandit27, on 02 April 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

It's been covered many times, and the answer is no: NFL teams cannot be owned in this fashion--the Packers are grandfathered in and a unique situation.

Correct. The NFL owners are absolutely powerless to revoke any current prohibition against public ownership.

#20 papazoid

papazoid

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

outstanding idea for the people to fund and own the stadium.


don't forget to factor in property tax, school tax, maintenance, security, traffic control costs, liability insurance, electric, gas, water, upgrades, renovations, etc...