Jump to content


Bills actively trying to TRADE UP.


  • Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 ChanOverChin

ChanOverChin

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

Several different sources have reported that the Bills are trying to trade up in the draft.  Just how far no one knows.

  My guess is that they are enamored with DE Clowney or even WR Watkins............two guys that they think can be difference-makers this year en route to making the playoffs.

  I get the distinct feeling from Whaley that he thinks the Bills are very close to maing the playoffs and need to make a big move to put them over the top.

  I will say that I am concerned that they will have to give up way too much to get Clowney or Watkins.  Something tells me that St. Johnson could be included in any such trade up deal rather than mortgaging our precious few draft picks this year.

  We shall see.

  The former GM would never make such a move.

#2 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,313 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

I think it was Ian Rappaport who was asked what was the biggest lie in the draft last year, and he said The Bills and their intention to draft Ryan Nassib when it was EJ all along. He said he heard it everywhere, and it often came from the team, and that he believed it himself.

#3 kdiggz

kdiggz

    Mayor of Pegulaville

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

Smoke and mirrors! Whaley is putting stories out there and the media is eating it up. Love it

#4 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,412 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostChanOverChin, on 29 April 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

Several different sources have reported that the Bills are trying to trade up in the draft.  Just how far no one knows.

  My guess is that they are enamored with DE Clowney or even WR Watkins............two guys that they think can be difference-makers this year en route to making the playoffs.

  I get the distinct feeling from Whaley that he thinks the Bills are very close to maing the playoffs and need to make a big move to put them over the top.

  I will say that I am concerned that they will have to give up way too much to get Clowney or Watkins.  Something tells me that St. Johnson could be included in any such trade up deal rather than mortgaging our precious few draft picks this year.

  We shall see.

The former GM would never make such a move.
The former GM also knew he needed more than one good player

#5 J-Bo

J-Bo

    UDFA

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

View Postkdiggz, on 29 April 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

Smoke and mirrors! Whaley is putting stories out there and the media is eating it up. Love it
I hope so....not liking the idea of trading up and losing picks in this years deep draft!

#6 Kirby Jackson

Kirby Jackson

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

Don't be surprised by a trade up. This team is close (at least they believe it). I would not expect them to be conservative this year.

#7 LittleJoeCartwright

LittleJoeCartwright

    Unrestricted Free Agent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostChanOverChin, on 29 April 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

Several different sources have reported that the Bills are trying to trade up in the draft.  Just how far no one knows.

  My guess is that they are enamored with DE Clowney or even WR Watkins............two guys that they think can be difference-makers this year en route to making the playoffs.

  I get the distinct feeling from Whaley that he thinks the Bills are very close to maing the playoffs and need to make a big move to put them over the top.

  I will say that I am concerned that they will have to give up way too much to get Clowney or Watkins.  Something tells me that St. Johnson could be included in any such trade up deal rather than mortgaging our precious few draft picks this year.

  We shall see.

  The former GM would never make such a move.


Hmm!  Let's see how long it takes before this "new topic" gets the dreaded "This subject currently being discussed in another thread".   Over-under:  10 mins.

#8 john wawrow

john wawrow

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

so, let me get this straight in regards to what counts for news at this time of year.

Bills have the ninth pick.
That suggest there will be better players available before it comes time to make a selection.
Bills like better players.
Best way to get better players is to consider trading up.
Bills will then consider trading up, because it's the responsible thing to do.
That said, no guarantee they will be able to get a deal done.
Which means, Bills will then consider staying at No. 9.
Or perhaps, trading down to add pick.
The sky remains blue.

jw

Edited by john wawrow, 29 April 2014 - 04:25 PM.


#9 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,313 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

I don't think the Bills are going to trade up.

But that said, I think Sammy Watkins is a fabulous player, and game changer, and the fact that if he were a Bills fan growing up and really wanted to play for the Bills, and that the team was really trying to win now, AND Whaley thought that he was, say, Julio Jones, I would be very willing to give up another high draft pick IF we were also planning on signing an established FA next year to replace that high pick.

#10 LittleJoeCartwright

LittleJoeCartwright

    Unrestricted Free Agent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

View PostKelly the Dog, on 29 April 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

I don't think the Bills are going to trade up.

But that said, I think Sammy Watkins is a fabulous player, and game changer, and the fact that if he were a Bills fan growing up and really wanted to play for the Bills, and that the team was really trying to win now, AND Whaley thought that he was, say, Julio Jones, I would be very willing to give up another high draft pick IF we were also planning on signing an established FA next year to replace that high pick.

That's a lot of AND's in one sentence.

#11 john wawrow

john wawrow

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostLittleJoeCartwright, on 29 April 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

That's a lot of AND's in one sentence.

and ... ?

jw

#12 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,313 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostLittleJoeCartwright, on 29 April 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

That's a lot of AND's in one sentence.
Yup. And it would take a lot of ands for me to agree to trading up for Sammy Watkins. ;)

Some of them are obvious or self-evident though. Like the "and" that went before the Julio Jones comparison and probably the game change "and."

The important "and," to me, is the one that went before the agreeing as a franchise to replace the missing high draft pick with going after a significant player in FA to substantially lessen the concept of mortgaging your future by giving up a future high pick. That doesn't, of course, mean just sign any player to any amount just to do it. It only means to say between Whaley and Brandon and Littman, that we are going to actively replace that pick with a player in addition to what we would normally look for in FA.

#13 FluffHead

FluffHead

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

For what it's worth, Matt Millen LOVES Sammy Watkins

#14 oman128

oman128

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

when it comes to the draft all the reports coming out of all the teams are the worst b.s. you ever heard.  Until Roger Goodell starts announcing players names, don't believe a word you read in a blog, tweet or article.

#15 atlbillsfan1975

atlbillsfan1975

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Just do not see it. Whaley is cut from the clothe that you need a team of good players to win. When did the Steelers ever trade up while Whaley was there? When have the Bills traded up since Whaley has been here? I mean first round or second round.
The Bills need to add more good player'S'. Trading up will mean being able to get at least one less possible starter in this draft. More of a possibility of the Bills trading back.

#16 Alaska Darin

Alaska Darin

    Sniping at Retards from the Balcony

  • PPP Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,025 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

View Postatlbillsfan1975, on 29 April 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

Just do not see it. Whaley is cut from the clothe that you need a team of good players to win. When did the Steelers ever trade up while Whaley was there? When have the Bills traded up since Whaley has been here? I mean first round or second round.
The Bills need to add more good player'S'. Trading up will mean being able to get at least one less possible starter in this draft. More of a possibility of the Bills trading back.
I'm not sure what the Steelers did has anything to do with what Whaley would or wouldn't do.  I've learned from a lot of successful people during my travels and I don't lead exactly the same as any of them.  Many of them refuse to use all the tools in their toolboxes for a variety of reasons.

#17 Webster Guy

Webster Guy

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PostKelly the Dog, on 29 April 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

I don't think the Bills are going to trade up.

But that said, I think Sammy Watkins is a fabulous player, and game changer, and the fact that if he were a Bills fan growing up and really wanted to play for the Bills, and that the team was really trying to win now, AND Whaley thought that he was, say, Julio Jones, I would be very willing to give up another high draft pick IF we were also planning on signing an established FA next year to replace that high pick.

agreed.    otherwise it doesn't make sense considering WR isn't really a position of need for us.    We have guys that can get open, and Williams is a stud.   I think Chandler is above average and Gragg will start making a difference this year.

#18 Triple Threat

Triple Threat

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PostLittleJoeCartwright, on 29 April 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

Hmm!  Let's see how long it takes before this "new topic" gets the dreaded "This subject currently being discussed in another thread".   Over-under:  10 mins.

I know it aggravates most when new topics that are similar get started but I personally would rather have the topic start over than weed through 17 pages.

#19 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

    No Mercy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,017 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

I want them to trade up just to generate some excitement.

We won't really need next year's 1st round pick anyway, since it's usually 50/50 we screw up the 1st pick in any event.

#20 Big C

Big C

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

I mean, if we trade up for Clowney, Mack or Watkins and they turn out to be as good as advertised AND EJ elevates his game, then this will be a hell of a season / team. On the flip side, if EJ doesn't rise up, we would put our team in an even bigger hole long-term.