Jump to content


Doug Marrone and the Culture he is Creating


  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 The Plunge

The Plunge

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

When the Bills hired Coach Marrone, this article stood out to me:


http://www.syracuse....ach_doug_m.html


"The Bronx native immediately set out to change the culture of the Orange program — instituting a discipline and dress code that was an abrupt departure from the previous coaching staff. More than 20 players left the SU program during Marrone’s first 15 months on the job."



I believe that it is virtually impossible to win without great culture. People might say that, but not many people actually understand what great culture looks like. Well I'll tell you:

Great culture is achieved when people with similar values align themselves to accomplish something great.

People also misuse the term "values". They will substitute it for words like "integrity" or "morals". Values are not about right or wrong. Values are about defining what is important to you. For instance, maybe I value apple juice, and you value orange juice. That doesn't mean one is better than the other, it means that this one is important to me, and that one is important to you.

Doug Marrone is doing in Buffalo is EXACTLY why he was brought here. He is building a great culture. The news about Stevie Johnson is tough to swallow. He was one of my favourite players. But how many times did we hear rumblings that he just wasn't fitting in properly? Or that he couldn't quite get on the same page with this coaching staff? If I had to guess, it's not that Stevie wasn't a good teammate, or a good player, but rather he just looked at the world a little bit differently than everyone else did. Tough to win when one of your most important players is dancing to a different beat than the rest of your team. I'm not saying thats what happen, I don't know and neither do you. Just an assumption on my part.

I would also guess that Byrd was doing some damage to the culture. I don't blame him for holding out for more money. But I do think his situation was a distraction that had a negative effect on the locker room.

This presents a bit of a double edged sword for me as a Bills fan. Stevie and Byrd were two of my favourite players. But if they didn't fit in to the culture properly, then it is good that they were let go. You can't win without great culture and great culture ALWAYS starts at the top. I hate to see these players go, but if this is what it takes to win, then I am all for it.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for this one. Bash away! And if you want to tweet at me, get me at @ElPlungeo

Go Bills!

#2 Mr. WEO

Mr. WEO

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

So the guy who was cut/walked out on Marrone in Syracuse and then dumped by Cincy is now perfect for this new "Great Marrone Culture"?

#3 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,423 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

Doug Marrone has a say in the team but Doug Whaley is the guy that decides who is or who is not on the roster. And they just traded for Mike Williams who was only let go by his former team because of off the field issues.

I do like Marrone though.

#4 Mr. WEO

Mr. WEO

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostKelly the Dog, on 09 May 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

Doug Marrone has a say in the team but Doug Whaley is the guy that decides who is or who is not on the roster. And they just traded for Mike Williams who was only let go by his former team because of off the field issues.

I do like Marrone though.

That was my point.

And Whaley didn't force Williams on Marrone.  I'm sure Marrone said let's pick him up.

#5 matter2003

matter2003

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,179 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostMr. WEO, on 09 May 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

So the guy who was cut/walked out on Marrone in Syracuse and then dumped by Cincy is now perfect for this new "Great Marrone Culture"?

People usually do a lot of growing and maturing between the age he was in college and the age he is now...just saying that thinking he is the same person he was then maturity wise is probably not the case...I know I grew up a lot in that time and I'm suspecting the majority of the posters on this board did as well...

#6 MyHorseAteTheKid

MyHorseAteTheKid

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Haven't been this excited about the Buffalo Bills organization since the late 1980's.....

#7 BuffaloBillsMagic1

BuffaloBillsMagic1

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

Marrone is new Parcels!

#8 oman128

oman128

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

Last year and this year Marrone and Whaley are trimming the dead weight. Guys who didn't produce, were immature, past their prime, off field issues, didn't want to be in Buffalo anymore.  Byrd,Carrington, Johnson,Moats.

They replaced them with players for the most part who bring something better to the team.  Spikes, Graham, Dixon, Williams.

I'm excited for Watkins and our round 2 and 3 picks.

Edited by oman128, 09 May 2014 - 06:02 PM.


#9 Mr. WEO

Mr. WEO

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

View Postmatter2003, on 09 May 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

People usually do a lot of growing and maturing between the age he was in college and the age he is now...just saying that thinking he is the same person he was then maturity wise is probably not the case...I know I grew up a lot in that time and I'm suspecting the majority of the posters on this board did as well...

We're talking about Mike Willams.  He was just dumped by his last team because he had not shown any evidence of "growing up" since college.

#10 swnybillsfan

swnybillsfan

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

i like doug marrone quite a bit. but beyond the Xs and Os, the most important thing he can do is get all his guys believing in what they are trying to accomplish and how they are going about doing it. also, he has to get them to believe in each other. as i have said, i like marrone a lot, and i liked the compete level they showed last year. hopefully he and doug whaley are on the same page and are in the process of building something great.

#11 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,423 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

View PostMr. WEO, on 09 May 2014 - 05:43 PM, said:

That was my point.

And Whaley didn't force Williams on Marrone.  I'm sure Marrone said let's pick him up.
I wasn't referring to you. I was typing my post when you posted yours. But please continue thinking everyone is talking to just you. ;)

#12 RussellDopeland

RussellDopeland

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

Obviously Marrone is intent on putting his stamp on this team. Obviously he expects accountability on the part of the players. Obviously this is the obvious case.

#13 billsfanmiami(oh)

billsfanmiami(oh)

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostMr. WEO, on 09 May 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

So the guy who was cut/walked out on Marrone in Syracuse and then dumped by Cincy is now perfect for this new "Great Marrone Culture"?

I must have missed Williams stint in Cincy....

#14 vorpma

vorpma

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

We'll see said the zen master!

#15 PO'14

PO'14

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

Yogurt is good. my favorite is Greek.

#16 Gugny

Gugny

    Beerball Brings Crudite to Football Parties

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,447 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

View PostKelly the Dog, on 09 May 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

I wasn't referring to you. I was typing my post when you posted yours. But please continue thinking everyone is talking to just you. ;)
Why are you talking about me?

#17 Mr. WEO

Mr. WEO

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

View PostKelly the Dog, on 09 May 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

I wasn't referring to you. I was typing my post when you posted yours. But please continue thinking everyone is talking to just you. ;)

I don't know what you're talking about...

View Postbillsfanmiami(oh), on 09 May 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

I must have missed Williams stint in Cincy....

Oops! Tampa

#18 PaattMaann

PaattMaann

    TBD's Resident Drunk

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

View Postoman128, on 09 May 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

Last year and this year Marrone and Whaley are trimming the dead weight. Guys who didn't produce, were immature, past their prime, off field issues, didn't want to be in Buffalo anymore.  Byrd,Carrington, Johnson,Moats.

They replaced them with players for the most part who bring something better to the team.  Spikes, Graham, Dixon, Williams.

I'm excited for Watkins and our round 2 and 3 picks.

Wait what?? What  was wrong with carrington? And Graham should bring something to this team other than being cut???

#19 oman128

oman128

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

Wrong Graham...  the D.B. not the WR.


#20 TheLynchTrain

TheLynchTrain

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

View PostPaattMaann, on 09 May 2014 - 09:23 PM, said:



Wait what?? What  was wrong with carrington? And Graham should bring something to this team other than being cut???

Methinks he means Corey Graham