Jump to content


Senators Urge N.F.L. to Act on Redskins’ Name


  • Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#1 Joe_the_6_pack

Joe_the_6_pack

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

WASHINGTON — Fifty members of the Senate have signed a letter to the N.F.L. to urge its leadership to press the Washington Redskins to change the team name in the aftermath of tough sanctions against the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers for racially charged comments.
http://mobile.nytime...?_r=1&referrer=

#2 Kellyto83TD

Kellyto83TD

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

I'd tell Senate to stick it.  This country is over offended and over Sensitive.  Rub some dirt on it and get over it.  More extremist, butt hurt liberals who are the very loud minority finding something else to be 'Offended' about.

#3 peterpan

peterpan

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

Blah blah blah the only people who are offended by this name are ignorant white people with nothing better to do.

Robert Green, Chief of the Patawomeck Tribe tells theRichmond Times-Dispatch the name isn’t an issue for the vast majority of members of his tribe.

“About 98 percent of my tribe is Redskins fans, and it doesn’t offend them, either,” Green said.

http://washington.cb...-redskins-name/


Dodson is a full-blooded American Inuit chief originally from the Aleutian Tribes of Alaska, and said he was tired of being spoken for as a Native American.

“People are speaking for Native Americans that aren’t Native American. Being a full-blooded Indian with my whole family behind me, we had a big problem with all the things that were coming out [of the discussion],” he said. “I think they were basically saying that we were offended, our people were offended, and they were misrepresenting the Native American nation.

“We don’t have a problem with [the name] at all; in fact we’re honored. We’re quite honored.”

http://www.redskins....cd-18d7fb768bb7


My Uncle is part Cherokee, as are my cousins (obviously) and they couldn't care less.  My Uncle is a big Chiefs fan too.


#4 LABillzFan

LABillzFan

    Plan Ahea!!!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,488 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

What the 50 senators should do is pool the embarrassingly vast pool of riches most of them have, buy the team and change the name.

Or STFU and work on things people actually care about.

Either one is fine with me.

#5 BillsFanM.D.

BillsFanM.D.

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

in before PPP.

#6 Joe_the_6_pack

Joe_the_6_pack

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

View Postpeterpan, on 23 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:

Blah blah blah the only people who are offended by this name are ignorant white people with nothing better to do.

Robert Green, Chief of the Patawomeck Tribe tells theRichmond Times-Dispatch the name isn’t an issue for the vast majority of members of his tribe.

“About 98 percent of my tribe is Redskins fans, and it doesn’t offend them, either,” Green said.

http://washington.cb...-redskins-name/


Dodson is a full-blooded American Inuit chief originally from the Aleutian Tribes of Alaska, and said he was tired of being spoken for as a Native American.

“People are speaking for Native Americans that aren’t Native American. Being a full-blooded Indian with my whole family behind me, we had a big problem with all the things that were coming out [of the discussion],” he said. “I think they were basically saying that we were offended, our people were offended, and they were misrepresenting the Native American nation.

“We don’t have a problem with [the name] at all; in fact we’re honored. We’re quite honored.”

http://www.redskins....cd-18d7fb768bb7


My Uncle is part Cherokee, as are my cousins (obviously) and they couldn't care less.  My Uncle is a big Chiefs fan too.

But "chief" is a seniority designation, the tribe leader's title. "Redskin" refers to an actual physical feature, the skin tone, which can be a hot button for racial sensitivities.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack, 23 May 2014 - 09:30 AM.


#7 Rocky Landing

Rocky Landing

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostKellyto83TD, on 23 May 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

I'd tell Senate to stick it.  This country is over offended and over Sensitive.  Rub some dirt on it and get over it.  More extremist, butt hurt liberals who are the very loud minority finding something else to be 'Offended' about.
Numerous Native American tribes, as well as the National Congress of American Indians have spoken out against the name, claiming that it is offensive, and tantamount to the "N-word." Would you characterize the Native American community as, "extremist, butt hurt liberals?"

http://profootballta...-redskins-name/

Edited by Rocky Landing, 23 May 2014 - 09:48 AM.


#8 Greg F

Greg F

    UDFA

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

If the team wanted a really offensive name they would change the name to the Washington Politicians.

#9 BmoreBills

BmoreBills

    Team Kelly, United

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

Numeerous Americans, as well as other Natives, have spoken for the name or that they just don't give a care. Some people are overly offended and are trying to capitalize on the Sterling and Cuban stories, and of course what else would the Senate be doing!??!!? Ohh, that's right, actual important work for the country and not dealing with this crap.

#10 Fingon

Fingon

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

I think the NFL should change the names of every franchise to a racial slur. It would create some pretty good rivalries.

#11 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,341 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

Yawn

#12 Greg F

Greg F

    UDFA

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostBmoreBills, on 23 May 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

... and of course what else would the Senate be doing!??!!? Ohh, that's right, actual important work for the country and not dealing with this crap.

You speak as if the Senate doing "important work" is a good thing.

#13 C.Biscuit97

C.Biscuit97

    Ladies' Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,645 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostKellyto83TD, on 23 May 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

I'd tell Senate to stick it.  This country is over offended and over Sensitive.  Rub some dirt on it and get over it.  More extremist, butt hurt liberals who are the very loud minority finding something else to be 'Offended' about.

I'm shocked an older, white person isn't offended by the term Redskins.  If there was a team called the Detroit Darkies, we should jsut keep it because it's tradition.  This country is falling apart because we can't use slurs like we used to!!!

The simple solution is poll Native American tribes and let them vote on the name.  If it's cool with them, then stop with trying to change it.

#14 Billy in 4C

Billy in 4C

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Easy solution - poll the major tribes - let them decide if it is offensive.  If it is, then change it.

#15 Joe_the_6_pack

Joe_the_6_pack

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostC.Biscuit97, on 23 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:



I'm shocked an older, white person isn't offended by the term Redskins.  If there was a team called the Detroit Darkies, we should jsut keep it because it's tradition.  This country is falling apart because we can't use slurs like we used to!!!

The simple solution is poll Native American tribes and let them vote on the name.  If it's cool with them, then stop with trying to change it.
Well that to me really gets to heart of the matter:
Who speaks for a community?
What absolute number of people who find it offensive is enough to have it changed?
Or what percent of the referenced community?


#16 C.Biscuit97

C.Biscuit97

    Ladies' Man

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,645 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

View PostJoe_the_6_pack, on 23 May 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

Well that to me really gets to heart of the matter:
Who speaks for a community?
What absolute number of people who find it offensive is enough to have it changed?
Or what percent of the referenced community?

Majority of the offended community.

Why do people feel the need to defend people using slurs?   I'm not a woman so why should I care if a woman gets called a see you next tuesday?  It's called treating people with respect.  If this offends Native Americans (who really have no voice in this country), who are we to say?  And if it doesn't, then keep it.  Not hard.

#17 NoSaint

NoSaint

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostKellyto83TD, on 23 May 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

I'd tell Senate to stick it.  This country is over offended and over Sensitive.  Rub some dirt on it and get over it.  More extremist, butt hurt liberals who are the very loud minority finding something else to be 'Offended' about.

so what you are saying is that you are extremely, and vocally, offended over this non-issue?

perhaps you could rub some dirt on it and get over it?

#18 Joe_the_6_pack

Joe_the_6_pack

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostC.Biscuit97, on 23 May 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:



Majority of the offended community.

Why do people feel the need to defend people using slurs?   I'm not a woman so why should I care if a woman gets called a see you next tuesday?  It's called treating people with respect.  If this offends Native Americans (who really have no voice in this country), who are we to say?  And if it doesn't, then keep it.  Not hard.
If a poll is actually practical, let's say 10,000,000 people qualify. What if 40% respond its offensive to them? Its not a majority but still a large percentage and 4,000,000 people. Still keep the name? What if 90% of the respondents reply its offensive but its only 5% of the available voters? They get to speak for the other 95% who didn't even care enough to vote?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack, 23 May 2014 - 10:43 AM.


#19 TheZone78

TheZone78

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

I'm offended at those who are offended.

#20 dwight in philly

dwight in philly

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

too bad they(the senate) didnt take up the V A bill that the house sent to them.. sorting out and solving the V A mess strikes me as a tad more important than the freakin "redskins" name..

Edited by dwight in philly, 23 May 2014 - 10:47 AM.