Jump to content


Why are there eight (8) guards on the roster - depth chart


  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 San-O

San-O

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

They front office signed free agent Chris Williams prior to the draft, and drafted a guard with the 5th round pick, and now
have eight (8) guards on the roster.  I don't understand that, even being the time of year prior to training camps.

And while someone will say "camp fodder", what are guards used for as camp fodder?  And why use a 5th rounder on a player
who appears to now be buried on the depth chart at that position?

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't see the reasoning I guess.  

Colin Brown and Doug Legursky may have been the worst pair of contending left guards in the NFL last year?


Posted Image OG Chris Williams - Signed with Bills 3/12

Posted Image G Cyril Richardson - 5th Round Pick; signed 5/2

http://www.buffaloru...legursky-emerge

http://www.billsdaily.com/depthchart/

#2 Kirby Jackson

Kirby Jackson

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

View PostSan-O, on 24 May 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

They front office signed free agent Chris Williams prior to the draft, and drafted a guard with the 5th round pick, and now
have eight (8) guards on the roster.  I don't understand that, even being the time of year prior to training camps.

And while someone will say "camp fodder", what are guards used for as camp fodder?  And why use a 5th rounder on a player
who appears to now be buried on the depth chart at that position?

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't see the reasoning I guess.  

Colin Brown and Doug Legursky may have been the worst pair of contending left guards in the NFL last year?


Posted Image OG Chris Williams - Signed with Bills 3/12

Posted Image G Cyril Richardson - 5th Round Pick; signed 5/2

http://www.buffaloru...legursky-emerge

http://www.billsdaily.com/depthchart/
A couple of things:

-Richardson may very well be the best guard on the roster now. He was selected because he was BPA. The former All-American was looked at as a 1st rounder just a few months back. He may not be starting immediately but will be soon enough.

-One other reason may be because there isn't depth a center. I think that they probably keep 4 guards (Urbik, Williams, Richardson and Unga). Urbik will also serve as the backup center.

#3 TheLynchTrain

TheLynchTrain

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

Why not? Urbik and Williams are the penciled-in starters, while the Bills probably hope Cyril will push hard for playing time this year and possibly parlay that into a starting role sooner rather than later. I would imagine Legursky is cut at some point without serious offseason improvement, and Unga, McClain and Colling are camp fodder.

Asper is intriguing because he was a long lost Bills 6th rounder who spent time on two other teams before resigning. I believe he played some Center is college which may bode well for depth, but I would imagine he's got a steep road ahead of him.

I'm more interested in the battle at tackle. Do we keep Pears and his 3 M salary? I sure hope we do, but the Bills don't like paying starter money to backups, and if Cyrus wins the job that may be a tough call for Whaley. What about Hairston? He's shown promise for a 5th rounder, but the Bills may also believe he's shown he's injury prone. Do we keep Seantrel or try to sneak him on the practice squad?

So many decisions!!!

Edited by TheLynchTrain, 24 May 2014 - 06:06 PM.


#4 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

    No Mercy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,348 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

View PostTheLynchTrain, on 24 May 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

I would imagine Legursky is cut at some point without serious offseason improvement, and Unga, McClain and Colling are camp fodder.

This.

I think the bills probably look at Unga, McClain, and colling (and asper) as one guy. They are probably all competing for one spot.

#5 John from Hemet

John from Hemet

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,488 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

You can figure a lot of these guys will be gone soon.....

Richardson was one of my top guards in this draft......and I really think they are looking at him as backup LG and will eventually insert him....Williams is on a short leash even though he is a free agent

Urbik is the RG and backup center......we NEED a guy who can play center on this team behind Woods......and I think JJ Unga finds a way to stick backing up Urbik

The rest of the guys are gonna have a hard time sticking.....both Colin Brown and Lagurski have both shown they are not the answer.

#6 Max997

Max997

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

They obviously signed Williams and used a 5th round pick on a guard to improve a position that you said yourself included two of the worst guards in the NFL last year and who prob won't even be on the team come September.

I really don't get what the issue is here

Edited by Max997, 24 May 2014 - 06:38 PM.


#7 3rdand12

3rdand12

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

View PostSan-O, on 24 May 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

They front office signed free agent Chris Williams prior to the draft, and drafted a guard with the 5th round pick, and now
have eight (8) guards on the roster.  I don't understand that, even being the time of year prior to training camps.

And while someone will say "camp fodder", what are guards used for as camp fodder?  And why use a 5th rounder on a player
who appears to now be buried on the depth chart at that position?

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't see the reasoning I guess.  

Colin Brown and Doug Legursky may have been the worst pair of contending left guards in the NFL last year?


Posted Image OG Chris Williams - Signed with Bills 3/12

Posted Image G Cyril Richardson - 5th Round Pick; signed 5/2

http://www.buffaloru...legursky-emerge

http://www.billsdaily.com/depthchart/
Brown and Legursky could be gone bringing it to six. My worry is back up center. Can Urbik do that well enough if Woods has another injury that sidelines him ? Bills better have that covered . But itsa valid talking point. I wish i knew more about Hairston. and i have no idea about Unga really.

#8 swnybillsfan

swnybillsfan

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

wasn't brown outright cut last year?

#9 KOKBILLS

KOKBILLS

    Master of My Domain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,306 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

View PostKirby Jackson, on 24 May 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

A couple of things:

-Richardson may very well be the best guard on the roster now. He was selected because he was BPA. The former All-American was looked at as a 1st rounder just a few months back. He may not be starting immediately but will be soon enough.

-One other reason may be because there isn't depth a center. I think that they probably keep 4 guards (Urbik, Williams, Richardson and Unga). Urbik will also serve as the backup center.

I had almost forgot Urbik started 6 games at Center... :doh:

My memory is going fast... :lol:

#10 The Wiz

The Wiz

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

Because our line sucked last year so why not have extra bodies that can fill in.

We have Glenn and Woods that are solid but nothing else.

Why not throw a bunch in the mix and see what sticks?

Edited by The Wiz, 24 May 2014 - 08:22 PM.


#11 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

Legursky has good value in that he is a proven veteran who can provide stability should the ship start to sink.  With a tenured resume in the league and the ability to play both Guard positions and Center he provides an option should there be an injury or lack of chemistry with the line. If all goes extremely well or extremely bad Cyrl Richardson and Cyrus Kouandjio could be starting by December.

Meanwhile, at least in the immediate future Chris Williams and Kraig Urbik start at the OG position with Richardson backing up both positions.  There is little reason to believe they cut Seantrel Hendeson but they could try to get him the PS.

At the end of the first day we already have Erik Pears and Doug Legursky looking from the outside in and Legursky likely getting the pass because of the ability to play everywhere inside and OC.

Figure our depth chart to look like this:

Cordy Glenn / Cyrus Kouandjio
Chris Williams / Doug Legursky
Eric Wood / Doug Legursky
Kraig Urbik / Cyril Richardson
Chris Hairston / Cyrus Kouandjio / Seantrell Henderson
----
Nine (9) OL on the roster, for those keeping track.

There is an off chance Henderson is put on the practice squad and Erik Pears kept on the immediate roster, at least short term.

#12 The Wiz

The Wiz

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

View Postjboyst62, on 24 May 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

Legursky has good value in that he is a proven veteran who can provide stability should the ship start to sink.  With a tenured resume in the league and the ability to play both Guard positions and Center he provides an option should there be an injury or lack of chemistry with the line. If all goes extremely well or extremely bad Cyrl Richardson and Cyrus Kouandjio could be starting by December.

Meanwhile, at least in the immediate future Chris Williams and Kraig Urbik start at the OG position with Richardson backing up both positions.  There is little reason to believe they cut Seantrel Hendeson but they could try to get him the PS.

At the end of the first day we already have Erik Pears and Doug Legursky looking from the outside in and Legursky likely getting the pass because of the ability to play everywhere inside and OC.

Figure our depth chart to look like this:

Cordy Glenn / Cyrus Kouandjio
Chris Williams / Doug Legursky
Eric Wood / Doug Legursky
Kraig Urbik / Cyril Richardson
Chris Hairston / Cyrus Kouandjio / Seantrell Henderson
----
Nine (9) OL on the roster, for those keeping track.

There is an off chance Henderson is put on the practice squad and Erik Pears kept on the immediate roster, at least short term.
I don't see Hairston beating Kouandjio considering he has been out/hurt/natural disaster for almost 2 seasons.

#13 voodoo poonani

voodoo poonani

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

They have three full lines to get through training camp, and have a lot to play with to get the best 5 to start the season

#14 jboyst62

jboyst62

    Hall of Farmer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:41 PM

View PostThe Wiz, on 24 May 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

I don't see Hairston beating Kouandjio considering he has been out/hurt/natural disaster for almost 2 seasons.
I could agree but I think you'll agree with me on this.  We haven't seen Kouandjio.  We've seen him in college and we have seen his projections and stats on paper.  But, until we see Kouandjio its hard to see him beating anyone.

Hairston and Pears are two very amazing players.  Imagine taking their talent and putting them in the bodies of former Bill Mike Williams or Langston Walker.  That'd be something.  They have so much promise but so little reality.  Here's to hoping!

View Postvoodoo poonani, on 24 May 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

They have three full lines to get through training camp, and have a lot to play with to get the best 5 to start the season
Chances of this also being a bad thing???

Let the 3rd stringers finish the games and all, but if we go every preseason game changing the starting lineup to fine tune too much.  Hopefully our starting lineup is clear by the end of our 3rd preseason game.

#15 bowery4

bowery4

    "‘Chance favors the prepared mind‘’

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:25 AM

"You can never have enough guards."

#16 todd

todd

    a redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:41 AM

Because our guards sucked last year and they wanted competition and to give themselves the best chance of finding the starting line. I fully support loading up on OL for camp.

View PostSan-O, on 24 May 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

They front office signed free agent Chris Williams prior to the draft, and drafted a guard with the 5th round pick, and now
have eight (8) guards on the roster.  I don't understand that, even being the time of year prior to training camps.

And while someone will say "camp fodder", what are guards used for as camp fodder?  And why use a 5th rounder on a player
who appears to now be buried on the depth chart at that position?

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't see the reasoning I guess.  

Colin Brown and Doug Legursky may have been the worst pair of contending left guards in the NFL last year?


Posted Image OG Chris Williams - Signed with Bills 3/12

Posted Image G Cyril Richardson - 5th Round Pick; signed 5/2

http://www.buffaloru...legursky-emerge

http://www.billsdaily.com/depthchart/


#17 machine gun kelly

machine gun kelly

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:51 AM

The simple answer to your original question is it's May.  I'm glad Whaley has a number of bodies in there to make sure we get the right two lines in there.  Let them fight it out, and we have an extra pre-season to get a better look at each player.  I think we also get an extra week for training camp to prepare for the Hall of Fame Game.

In Whaley I bellieve.

#18 Beerball

Beerball

    Things happen...

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,662 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

View Postjboyst62, on 24 May 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

Legursky has good value in that he is a proven veteran who can provide stability should the ship start to sink.  With a tenured resume in the league and the ability to play both Guard positions and Center he provides an option should there be an injury or lack of chemistry with the line. If all goes extremely well or extremely bad Cyrl Richardson and Cyrus Kouandjio could be starting by December.

Meanwhile, at least in the immediate future Chris Williams and Kraig Urbik start at the OG position with Richardson backing up both positions.  There is little reason to believe they cut Seantrel Hendeson but they could try to get him the PS.

At the end of the first day we already have Erik Pears and Doug Legursky looking from the outside in and Legursky likely getting the pass because of the ability to play everywhere inside and OC.

Figure our depth chart to look like this:

Cordy Glenn / Cyrus Kouandjio
Chris Williams / Doug Legursky
Eric Wood / Doug Legursky
Kraig Urbik / Cyril Richardson
Chris Hairston / Cyrus Kouandjio / Seantrell Henderson
----
Nine (9) OL on the roster, for those keeping track.

There is an off chance Henderson is put on the practice squad and Erik Pears kept on the immediate roster, at least short term.
Legursky's lack of mobility make him a FA.

#19 ALF

ALF

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

We finally have a much better potential OL . Thank you Mr Whaley   :thumbsup:

#20 CSBill

CSBill

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

View Postbowery4, on 25 May 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

"You can never have enough guards."

Said Dick Jueron, or was that Greg Williams?

Edited by CSBill, 25 May 2014 - 07:17 AM.