Jump to content


Why 80% of NFL players are broke 2 yrs after they retire


  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

WHO ORDERED THE ICE TEA?!?! RT @EvanMathis69: Teaching rookies a lesson... pic.twitter.com/7sNoR6dihE
Posted Image

Edited by YoloinOhio, 12 June 2014 - 08:59 PM.


#2 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

maybe they have an entourage to feed?

Posted Image

#3 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

View PostFixxxer, on 12 June 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

maybe they have an entourage to feed?

Posted Image
That table's waiter...
Posted Image

#4 sodbuster

sodbuster

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Holy crap. I start to get pissed when my bill is over $20.

#5 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

    No Mercy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,130 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

12,000 tip?

Whose receipt is that?

#6 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 12 June 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

12,000 tip?

Whose receipt is that?
Evan Mathis, OG for the Eagles tweeted it out... it was from their dinner where the rookies pay for the vets. There are more Kamikaze shots on there than entrees.

Edited by YoloinOhio, 12 June 2014 - 09:32 PM.


#7 Rocky Landing

Rocky Landing

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

That bill contained a total of 26 Remy Martins (including 14 doubles), 4 Crown Royals, 17 kamikazes, 4 rum runners, 5 old fashioned, 21 assorted bottles of cabernet, and ONE ICED TEA.

#8 BarleyNY

BarleyNY

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

$3 for caramelized onions is pretty reasonable.

#9 thanes16

thanes16

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

If I had been that rookie, I would've said no. That is ridiculous.  There is something known as common sense. I have no pity for a person that throws away something like this. Simply pathetic.

#10 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

Mathis tweeted that the "auto-gratuity" was just a private room charge. The tip was on top of that. Richie Incognito would be proud.

#11 Rocky Landing

Rocky Landing

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostBarleyNY, on 12 June 2014 - 09:56 PM, said:

$3 for caramelized onions is pretty reasonable.
But, $10.50 for onion rings???

#12 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

    No Mercy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,130 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostYoloinOhio, on 12 June 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

Evan Mathis, OG for the Eagles tweeted it out... it was from their dinner where the rookies pay for the vets. There are more Kamikaze shots on there than entrees.

Well, hopefully there were a bunch of rookies that chipped in. Ridiculous.

#13 Chef Jim

Chef Jim

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,563 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

View Postthanes16, on 12 June 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

If I had been that rookie, I would've said no. That is ridiculous.  There is something known as common sense. I have no pity for a person that throws away something like this. Simply pathetic.

In my mind common sense is having the money to by 2005 Screaming Eagle Cab and doing so.  :thumbsup:

#14 Thurman#1

Thurman#1

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:41 PM

View Postthanes16, on 12 June 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

If I had been that rookie, I would've said no. That is ridiculous.  There is something known as common sense. I have no pity for a person that throws away something like this. Simply pathetic.


I hear you, but maybe it's Marcus Smith, their first rounder.  He recently signed his contract, and it included a $3.992 mill signing bonus.  

So if that were me it would bug me a lot but if it only happened once, I wouldn't say anything.

Still, it's crazy.  They need to work on eliminating this kind of thing.

If Smith gets injured and his career is over, he'd have spent almost two percent of his pre-tax NFL career earnings on one night of partying.  Crazy.

Edited by Thurman#1, 12 June 2014 - 11:43 PM.


#15 HoF Watkins

HoF Watkins

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:56 AM

Does this restaurant have a luxury box or multiple season tickets? Do the car dealerships where players purchase their cars have them? I think there is a lot of that kind of thing going on. Nothing I'm gonna lose sleep over, because it's all part of becoming a multi-millionaire overnight, and is a rite of passage into the crazy, mixed up world of professional sports. I just hope most of the money gets circulated back to the low rungs of the local economy....probably not though.

Ultimately it's the fans that pay for this kind of excess. The tickets, the parking, concessions, etc. And of course, being endlessly bombarded with advertisements. They don't just want your money, they want your time (and mind). At what point does that experience become more unpleasant than pleasing?

Edited by HoF Watkins, 13 June 2014 - 03:58 AM.


#16 machine gun kelly

machine gun kelly

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:55 AM

It is ridiculous.  Living in FL, my neighbor was a RB for the Bucs, and down the street one of the WR for the Bucs lived there.  They are both gone now as they are put of the league.  My neighbor was foolish enough to have a Cadillac Escalade EST, a 70's souped up redone car, and get this a Rolls Royce.

He spent his way to nothing and I heard when out of the NFL, he was caught up in some kind of Medicare Fraud and in jail.  It's sad as he is a nice guy, who made some very bad decisions.  The WR made it in the league for five years or so, and they had to sell their house and Bentley as well.

I don't think it's everyone, but so many of these guys are given good financial counseling, but they don't take it.  They far too often act like they are going to play forever at least by their spending habits.  Then it's one sad story after another post football.

#17 BarleyNY

BarleyNY

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostRocky Landing, on 12 June 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

But, $10.50 for onion rings???
Ouch. They'd better be some damn good onion rings.

#18 maddenboy

maddenboy

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

View PostHoF Watkins, on 13 June 2014 - 03:56 AM, said:

Does this restaurant have a luxury box or multiple season tickets? Do the car dealerships where players purchase their cars have them? I think there is a lot of that kind of thing going on. Nothing I'm gonna lose sleep over, because it's all part of becoming a multi-millionaire overnight, and is a rite of passage into the crazy, mixed up world of professional sports. I just hope most of the money gets circulated back to the low rungs of the local economy....probably not though.

Ultimately it's the fans that pay for this kind of excess. The tickets, the parking, concessions, etc. And of course, being endlessly bombarded with advertisements. They don't just want your money, they want your time (and mind). At what point does that experience become more unpleasant than pleasing?

Maybe when you run out of money?

Maybe when you realize that this money has to last you 50 years, not 5.

Maybe when you realize that this money has to last you and your family 50 years, not 5.

#19 Mr. WEO

Mr. WEO

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

View PostChef Jim, on 12 June 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

In my mind common sense is having the money to by 2005 Screaming Eagle Cab and doing so.  :thumbsup:

Not at a 70% markup.  Ditto for the Harlan estates at 230% markup.  Del Frisco's??  Those are tourist trap prices.

I bet Jonathan Martin carpeed his Underoos just looking at that tab...

#20 HoF Watkins

HoF Watkins

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:29 AM

View Postmaddenboy, on 13 June 2014 - 05:51 AM, said:

Maybe when you run out of money?

Maybe when you realize that this money has to last you 50 years, not 5.

Maybe when you realize that this money has to last you and your family 50 years, not 5.

Uh..I was talking about from the fan's perspective...

Edited by HoF Watkins, 13 June 2014 - 06:31 AM.