Jump to content


Training Camp Trip: Where to eat/drink/stay


  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 FluffHead

FluffHead

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

Training camp is nearly upon us and I will be making the pilgrimage shortly.  As an out of towner, I usually come in for 2 days/1 night and catch two practices.  In an effort to change up my routine this year, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread with suggestions on good hotels, bars and restaurants in the pittsford/rochester area.

I'll start.  In the past I have stayed at the Radisson in downtown Rochester.  Nice hotel, close to downtown bars and restaurants but is in a bit of a sketchy area and you have to pay 15$ to park in a parking garage.  I'm looking at other hotels this year as this one is a little more $ than I want to spend.

Everyone knows about Nick Tahou's and I usually stop there.  A good bar that we have frequented in the past is Jeremiah's Tavern on Monroe Ave.  Good wings and good beer.

#2 zazie

zazie

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

When I went to school there 25 years ago the best wings were at a place called Country Sweet.  Those were some great wings, I have never experienced the like again.

And I am Buffalo born and bred.

#3 CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

You can sometimes see players at the Pittsford Pub (http://www.thepittsfordpub.com/) that is near SJF.  You can get decent bar food there.  Also there is JoJo's which is in the same location.  But JoJo's is high end and expensive.

Jeremiahs has the best wings in Rochester in my opinion. Holy Habanero (my fav)  if you like them on the hot side.  Bee Sting are pretty good as well if you like them on the milder side. But don't get the boneless. It sounds like a good idea but they are very different from normal wings.

As far as hotels go, there is a Holiday Inn Express at 2835 Monroe Ave, Rochester, NY 14618 which is pretty close to SJF and should be less expensive than the Radisson.  I have never been in it, but they are usually nice.  There are also some restaurants near there including the usual fast food places like Wendy's and McDonalds.  There is also a Wegmans down the street that you will pass going from there to SJF.  And a Italian place across the street called Mario's. And a wood fired pizza place right next door that isn't bad.
The only downside to that hotel is that they have the street all tore up in front of it right now.

View Postzazie, on 14 July 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

When I went to school there 25 years ago the best wings were at a place called Country Sweet.  Those were some great wings, I have never experienced the like again.

And I am Buffalo born and bred.
They still exist, 691 Mt Hope Ave, Rochester.  They are far from "traditional" wings, but I like them as well once in a while. More of a honey based sauce which makes them sweet.

Edited by CodeMonkey, 14 July 2014 - 09:24 AM.


#4 The Underdog

The Underdog

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

I went to school at Fisher and liked it a little too much (took me 5+ years for a 4 year degree, haha) but I would recommend the bars down East Ave. Murphy's Law is usally a pretty good option... As for food, Monroe has all the chain restaurants but if you are looking for something else I would go to the Pittsford Pub down the road or Dinosaur BBQ downtown.

#5 TaskersGhost

TaskersGhost

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

Here's a nice option, there's a nice (or used to be nice) Courtyard by Marriott in Penfield about three miles from Pittsford and 3 or 4 from the training camp site.  It's very conveniently located on 441 which is about two minutes from the expressway which will put you anywhere you want to go in Rochester within 10 or 15 minutes.

Everything you'd need is within minutes.  Wegmans, food, Abbott's Custard, etc.  The Pittsford Pub is less than 10 minutes straight down Washington St.

Another option for great wings, try the Sports Page on Monroe Ave.

#6 Jauronimo

Jauronimo

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostFluffHead, on 14 July 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Training camp is nearly upon us and I will be making the pilgrimage shortly.  As an out of towner, I usually come in for 2 days/1 night and catch two practices.  In an effort to change up my routine this year, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread with suggestions on good hotels, bars and restaurants in the pittsford/rochester area.

I'll start.  In the past I have stayed at the Radisson in downtown Rochester.  Nice hotel, close to downtown bars and restaurants but is in a bit of a sketchy area and you have to pay 15$ to park in a parking garage.  I'm looking at other hotels this year as this one is a little more $ than I want to spend.

Everyone knows about Nick Tahou's and I usually stop there.  A good bar that we have frequented in the past is Jeremiah's Tavern on Monroe Ave.  Good wings and good beer.
Everything worth seeing in Rochester is within 10 mins or so of training camp.  Best wings in town are at Richmond's.  Dogtown for garbage plates. Dinosaur is worth the wait.  Cocktails at the Revelry, Cheshire, or Daily Refresher.  For beer hit up the Tap and Mallet.  Higher end dining, Good Luck and Cure are by far the best options.

What are you looking to get into?

Edited by Jauronimo, 14 July 2014 - 10:37 AM.


#7 sodbuster

sodbuster

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Mike Sullivan did a training camp guide on TKIG once I think.

#8 Derelichte

Derelichte

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

the Strathallen is a nice hotel right downtown Rochester. Just did renovations to the rooms and the bar/restaurant is nice, highly recommend the burger and onion rings. The Strath is walking distance to East and Alexander, Rochester's own Chippewa. I don't frequent those bars often though, too much d'baggery downtown Rochester. Dog Town is a cool little hot dog joint on Monroe Ave, has a bunch of different tasty hot dog selections, as well as a decent garbage plate. Park Ave has a few cool bars, Half Pint is neat, bunch of good beer in a trendy part of town. Genesee Brew House is fun as well, food isn't the best, but there's some cool history in the gift shop with some flight tasting in the back of the gift shop, close to the high falls so the view is decent.

Good Luck is my favorite place to go in Rochester, high end dining and a great cocktail selection. One of the nicest restaurants in Rochester. And if you have a few too many cocktail, you can meander across the street the the Barrel Of Dolls, Rochester's finest gentlemans club. And when I say finest, I mean oh-my-god-that-chick-is-8-months-pregnant.

#9 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostJauronimo, on 14 July 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Everything worth seeing in Rochester is within 10 mins or so of training camp.  Best wings in town are at Richmond's.  Dogtown for garbage plates. Dinosaur is worth the wait.  Cocktails at the Revelry, Cheshire, or Daily Refresher.  For beer hit up the Tap and Mallet.  Higher end dining, Good Luck and Cure are by far the best options.

What are you looking to get into?

Listen to this man (on this subject at least)

#10 CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostJauronimo, on 14 July 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Everything worth seeing in Rochester is within 10 mins or so of training camp.  Best wings in town are at Richmond's.  Dogtown for garbage plates. Dinosaur is worth the wait.  Cocktails at the Revelry, Cheshire, or Daily Refresher.  For beer hit up the Tap and Mallet.  Higher end dining, Good Luck and Cure are by far the best options.

What are you looking to get into?

View Postthebandit27, on 14 July 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

Listen to this man (on this subject at least)
Really, Richmonds for wings?  I always found their wings to be average.  Good food there otherwise though.

Interesting how people have different tastes.  For example, I prefer Sticky Lips to Dinosaur.

Oh, and Rochester has a taste of Buffalo now as well ... Mighty Taco! :)

#11 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostCodeMonkey, on 14 July 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Really, Richmonds for wings?  I always found their wings to be average.  Good food there otherwise though.

Interesting how people have different tastes.  For example, I prefer Sticky Lips to Dinosaur.

Oh, and Rochester has a taste of Buffalo now as well ... Mighty Taco! :)

I also prefer Sticky Lips, but that's because I love the cherry bomb sauce...I think, as a rule, Dinosaur does a better job of smoking their food.

Jauronimo, however, has hit it out of the park with other suggestions like Dogtown and Tap & Mallett, which I would not have visited if not for his sage advice in the Box o' Shout.

#12 CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

View Postthebandit27, on 14 July 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

I also prefer Sticky Lips, but that's because I love the cherry bomb sauce...I think, as a rule, Dinosaur does a better job of smoking their food.

Jauronimo, however, has hit it out of the park with other suggestions like Dogtown and Tap & Mallett, which I would not have visited if not for his sage advice in the Box o' Shout.
I have never been to Dogtown or Tap & Mallett.  Clearly they are now on my list of places to try :)

If you don't mind the drive, try Bad To the Bone BBQ out in Williamson.  Better food (particularly the pulled pork) than both the others in my opinion! No atmosphere at all though, just food.
http://bad2thebonebbq.com/

Edited by CodeMonkey, 14 July 2014 - 12:06 PM.


#13 Jauronimo

Jauronimo

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

View PostCodeMonkey, on 14 July 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Really, Richmonds for wings?  I always found their wings to be average.  Good food there otherwise though.

Interesting how people have different tastes.  For example, I prefer Sticky Lips to Dinosaur.

Oh, and Rochester has a taste of Buffalo now as well ... Mighty Taco! :)
I've only started going to Richmond's over the last year or two, so I can't speak to the quality of their food previously but since I've been going its been nothing short of excellent.  I believe they've partnered with the guys from Marty's Meats food truck which has upped their game.  Their sriracha honey and ghost wings are amazing.  Jeremiah's serves soggy wings which is cardinal sin in my book.  I like their sauces, but if the skin isn't crispy then its all for naught.

Theres a few things at Sticky Lips which I love, but head-to-head, dish-to-dish, I prefer Dino.  Dino really pulls away with the execution of their side dishes and wings, in my opinion.

View Postthebandit27, on 14 July 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

I also prefer Sticky Lips, but that's because I love the cherry bomb sauce...I think, as a rule, Dinosaur does a better job of smoking their food.

Jauronimo, however, has hit it out of the park with other suggestions like Dogtown and Tap & Mallett, which I would not have visited if not for his sage advice in the Box o' Shout.
Cherry bomb and their mustard sauce are pretty unreal.  I love their take on the garbage plate, the Sticky Icky plate, as well.

#14 CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

View PostJauronimo, on 14 July 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

I've only started going to Richmond's over the last year or two, so I can't speak to the quality of their food previously but since I've been going its been nothing short of excellent.  I believe they've partnered with the guys from Marty's Meats food truck which has upped their game.  Their sriracha honey and ghost wings are amazing.  Jeremiah's serves soggy wings which is cardinal sin in my book.  I like their sauces, but if the skin isn't crispy then its all for naught.

Theres a few things at Sticky Lips which I love, but head-to-head, dish-to-dish, I prefer Dino.  Dino really pulls away with the execution of their side dishes and wings, in my opinion.
If you ask for the wings well done at Jeremiah's I think you will like them better.
Do you like the wings at Duffs in Buffalo?

Edited by CodeMonkey, 14 July 2014 - 12:04 PM.


#15 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,124 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostJauronimo, on 14 July 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

I've only started going to Richmond's over the last year or two, so I can't speak to the quality of their food previously but since I've been going its been nothing short of excellent.  I believe they've partnered with the guys from Marty's Meats food truck which has upped their game.  Their sriracha honey and ghost wings are amazing.  Jeremiah's serves soggy wings which is cardinal sin in my book.  I like their sauces, but if the skin isn't crispy then its all for naught.

That's my biggest issue with most wing places as well--the battle is to get them spicy AND crispy.  I cannot eat Duff's wings because anything above mild is just drenched, which totally kills my desire to eat them.


View PostJauronimo, on 14 July 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Theres a few things at Sticky Lips which I love, but head-to-head, dish-to-dish, I prefer Dino.  Dino really pulls away with the execution of their side dishes and wings, in my opinion.

I know I touched on execution, but I failed to mention sides; Dino's sides are phenomenal on a consistent basis.

View PostJauronimo, on 14 July 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Cherry bomb and their mustard sauce are pretty unreal.  I love their take on the garbage plate, the Sticky Icky plate, as well.

I haven't had it (yet)...I will be driving through on my way back from Boston this weekend though (hmmm)

#16 Jauronimo

Jauronimo

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

View PostCodeMonkey, on 14 July 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

If you ask for the wings well done at Jeremiah's I think you will like them better.
Do you like the wings at Duffs in Buffalo?
Only been to Duff's a few times, and the last two times my wings were as soggy as could be.

#17 CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostJauronimo, on 14 July 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

Only been to Duff's a few times, and the last two times my wings were as soggy as could be.
Yeah that's why I asked, that's how they serve them there as well :)

#18 Jauronimo

Jauronimo

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

View Postthebandit27, on 14 July 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

I haven't had it (yet)...I will be driving through on my way back from Boston this weekend though (hmmm)
Its a total gut bomb.  Even on your 12,000 calorie per day Michael Phelps diet you won't need to eat again for a while.

#19 TaskersGhost

TaskersGhost

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

View PostDerelichte, on 14 July 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

the Strathallen is a nice hotel right downtown Rochester. Just did renovations to the rooms and the bar/restaurant is nice, highly recommend the burger and onion rings. The Strath is walking distance to East and Alexander, Rochester's own Chippewa. I don't frequent those bars often though, too much d'baggery downtown Rochester. Dog Town is a cool little hot dog joint on Monroe Ave, has a bunch of different tasty hot dog selections, as well as a decent garbage plate. Park Ave has a few cool bars, Half Pint is neat, bunch of good beer in a trendy part of town. Genesee Brew House is fun as well, food isn't the best, but there's some cool history in the gift shop with some flight tasting in the back of the gift shop, close to the high falls so the view is decent.

Good Luck is my favorite place to go in Rochester, high end dining and a great cocktail selection. One of the nicest restaurants in Rochester. And if you have a few too many cocktail, you can meander across the street the the Barrel Of Dolls, Rochester's finest gentlemans club. And when I say finest, I mean oh-my-god-that-chick-is-8-months-pregnant.

I'd say that Monroe Ave.  is more the Chippewa, no?

Either way, the Strath isn't that far from the stuff on Monroe Ave. either, and East Ave. downtown where Richmonds is.

LOL on the peeler bar.

BTW FluffHead, if no one has mentioned it, the High Falls is also a cool place.  Last time I was down there there were a bunch of close eateries.  The view of the falls is excellent and in the summers they used to have a laser show at dusk, not sure if they still do that.

#20 CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostJauronimo, on 14 July 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Its a total gut bomb.  Even on your 12,000 calorie per day Michael Phelps diet you won't need to eat again for a while.
I used to be able to eat stuff like that, then I got old.  It would probably kill me now.

View PostTaskersGhost, on 14 July 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

I'd say that Monroe Ave.  is more the Chippewa, no?

Either way, the Strath isn't that far from the stuff on Monroe Ave. either, and East Ave. downtown where Richmonds is.

LOL on the peeler bar.

BTW FluffHead, if no one has mentioned it, the High Falls is also a cool place.  Last time I was down there there were a bunch of close eateries.  The view of the falls is excellent and in the summers they used to have a laser show at dusk, not sure if they still do that.
I'm not sure about high falls anymore.  The high falls brewery used to be right there and was pretty good, but it's been closed for a while now.  Not sure what, if anything, is in it's place.  I don't get downtown much at all anymore.

And calling the barrel a peeler is an insult to all the fine Canadian establishments! ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey, 14 July 2014 - 12:15 PM.