Jump to content


WGR Talking Hockey in Mid-July


  • Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 ET1062

ET1062

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

The Hockey Hotline show is one of the worst things I have ever listened to.  Kevin Sylvester is arrogant and his giggling at every tiny poor excuse for a joke is annoying.  Andrew Peters has been hit in the head one too many times.  So WGR has one show devoted to Hockey and one devoted to Football (John Murphy)  The Hockey show is preempted 16 Mondays where as the Football show is preempted up to 82 times.  WGR devotes far more time to hockey, barely a major sport in the USA, we are still in the USA right?  We haven't been taken over by Canada have we?

Jeremy While will change the subject to hockey any chance he gets, even Junior Hockey.  Is it any wonder he didn't get any bids for their golf tournament?  When callers call the whiner line to complain about all the hockey talk, they brush it off as nonsense as if those callers don't have a point.  

Why I started this post. The Bills reported to camp today and I turn on the radio at 3:00 and what is Schopp talking about? HOCKEY!   It is 80 degrees out!!!  

Enough already!

Edited by ET1062, 18 July 2014 - 03:00 PM.


#2 mrags

mrags

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,218 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

And just another reason why Schoop is a C%#Kbag

#3 Buftex

Buftex

    JIM KELLY: the reason for the seasons!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,539 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:  They are talking hockey, two hours every weekday, whether you like it or not...they have a Buffalo Sabres show...just like the they a 2 hour Buffalo Bills show, every week, all year...the Bufflao Sabres (there is another pro sports team in town) are having the NHL equivalant of their rookie mini-camp...some people are actually interested in the Sabres and the Bills...hard as that may be to fathom.... it seems like somebody starts this !@#$ing thread every other week....

#4 Bob Malooga

Bob Malooga

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

View PostET1062, on 18 July 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

The Hockey Hotline show is one of the worst things I have ever listened to.  Kevin Sylvester is arrogant and his giggling at every tiny poor excuse for a joke is annoying.  Andrew Peters has been hit in the head one too many times.  So WGR has one show devoted to Hockey and one devoted to Football (John Murphy)  The Hockey show is preempted 16 Mondays where as the Football show is preempted up to 82 times.  WGR devotes far more time to hockey, barely a major sport in the USA, we are still in the USA right?  We haven't been taken over by Canada have we?

Jeremy While will change the subject to hockey any chance he gets, even Junior Hockey.  Is it any wonder he didn't get any bids for their golf tournament?  When callers call the whiner line to complain about all the hockey talk, they brush it off as nonsense as if those callers don't have a point.  

Why I started this post. The Bills reported to camp today and I turn on the radio at 3:00 and what is Schopp talking about? HOCKEY!   It is 80 degrees out!!!  

Enough already!
Well, your opinion is nice and all...but you couldn't be more uninformed and misguided.

The Sabres just finished development camp with 7 1st round picks in attendance.  Buffalo also placed 3rd in TV ratings for the Stanley Cup playoffs, while the team was dead last in the league. So, while you might not like hockey...there are plenty more than you that do. Not to mention, while we might be in the USA...you're in a hockey market.

And while they dedicated a half an hour to talk about the 3-on-3 tournament at Sabres camp today...they've spent 1+ hours on the Bills REPORTING to camp. That is the difference...the Sabres ARE IN CAMP...the Bills ARE REPORTING FOR CAMP.

Plus, I am sick of hearing about how good the Bills look with no pads on...they need to go out and prove themselves for once. Whereas the Sabres have the #1 prospect pool in the NHL, who will be the future, and they are already looking to prove themselves. One is far more interesting than the other.

PS. There were 10,000 people at a PROSPECT SCRIMMAGE...does training camp get that many people on one day? I doubt it.

Edited by Bob Malooga, 18 July 2014 - 03:48 PM.


#5 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

    TBD's franchise poster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,709 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Thanks, Bob. Was about to say the same. I want to know where the UB football talk is?

#6 theesir

theesir

    I Cho Cho Choose you!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Bob,
Exactly! I turned on the radio today specifically to hear about the 3 on 3 games at development camp. I want to hear how our first rounders(!!!) look. I could not CARE LESS which Bills players are bringing their own refrigerator or what video games guys have, or the Goodwin has only his Bible and playbook.
On MONDAY, once actual practices are rolling, then I'll happily listen.
WGR will have 4 people there, onsite throughout the first week of training camp and then 2 for the entire rest of camp.

#7 nucci

nucci

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,983 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Like others have said, there is hockey news happening this week.

#8 ET1062

ET1062

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

No other radio station in the United States of America is devoting any time to their cities NHL developmental camp, ZERO, NADA, NIL!

And as a FYI, Schopp wasn't even talking about the developmental camp, he was talking about the Sabres tanking for draft position, IN JULY!  We just had the NHL draft a few weeks ago!  

View PostBuftex, on 18 July 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

They are talking hockey, two hours every weekday, whether you like it or not...they have a Buffalo Sabres show...just like the they a 2 hour Buffalo Bills show, every week, all year

Glad you totally missed and glossed over my point that the Bills daily show gets interrupted up to 82 times a year, maybe more in playoff seasons where the hockey show only gets interrupted 16.

Edited by ET1062, 18 July 2014 - 04:09 PM.


#9 GG

GG

    Exit 151

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Why would you care if the Bills show is preempted in the off-season?

#10 ET1062

ET1062

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostGG, on 18 July 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

Why would you care if the Bills show is preempted in the off-season?

It is preempted for Sabres games during the Bills season.  The Hockey show should be the one being preempted, the two shows should switch time slots in my opinion, but that would make too much common sense.

#11 Bob Malooga

Bob Malooga

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostET1062, on 18 July 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

No other radio station in the United States of America is devoting any time to their cities NHL developmental camp, ZERO, NADA, NIL!

And as a FYI, Schopp wasn't even talking about the developmental camp, he was talking about the Sabres tanking for draft position, IN JULY!  We just had the NHL draft a few weeks ago!  



Glad you totally missed and glossed over my point that the Bills daily show gets interrupted up to 82 times a year, maybe more in playoff seasons where the hockey show only gets interrupted 16.
Because zero other teams have the amount of talent in their development camp like Buffalo does...nor did 10,000+ people show up to their scrimmage. Which, it has actually been reported as closer to 15,000 (which I thought it was from being there)...and that's more than some NHL regular season games get in other cities!

Also...the thought of Connor McDavid getting drafted by the Buffalo Sabres is more exciting than ANYTHING the Buffalo Bills are doing right now!

If you don't like it, don't listen and find something else...it's really THAT simple.

And yes, IN JULY...when the Sabres have actually been in camp, and the Bills have not. *gasp*

View PostET1062, on 18 July 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:



It is preempted for Sabres games during the Bills season.  The Hockey show should be the one being preempted, the two shows should switch time slots in my opinion, but that would make too much common sense.
Why? Because that's YOUR opinion?

Edited by Bob Malooga, 18 July 2014 - 04:25 PM.


#12 vegas55

vegas55

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

View PostET1062, on 18 July 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

The Hockey Hotline show is one of the worst things I have ever listened to.  Kevin Sylvester is arrogant and his giggling at every tiny poor excuse for a joke is annoying.  Andrew Peters has been hit in the head one too many times.  So WGR has one show devoted to Hockey and one devoted to Football (John Murphy)  The Hockey show is preempted 16 Mondays where as the Football show is preempted up to 82 times.  WGR devotes far more time to hockey, barely a major sport in the USA, we are still in the USA right?  We haven't been taken over by Canada have we?

Jeremy While will change the subject to hockey any chance he gets, even Junior Hockey.  Is it any wonder he didn't get any bids for their golf tournament?  When callers call the whiner line to complain about all the hockey talk, they brush it off as nonsense as if those callers don't have a point.  

Why I started this post. The Bills reported to camp today and I turn on the radio at 3:00 and what is Schopp talking about? HOCKEY!   It is 80 degrees out!!!  

Enough already!

You are 100 percent right and I suggest you ignore the moronic posts that disagree. If you were to post that the sun is going to rise in the east tomorrow, you would generate posts on this board telling you that the sun is going to rise in the west. As far as WGR, the last local program runs from 10-12:00, devoted completely to hockey, specifically to the worst hockey team in the NHL. Despite the fact that the NFL is 100 times more popular than the NHL, and that Buffalo is one of the relatively few cities lucky enough to have an NFL team, the nitwit comes on at 3 and talks hockey for the first hour. I love the fact that he starts his show talking how Bills camp starting depresses him because it suggests that Fall is right around the corner, then goes on to talk for an hour straight about the winter sport of hockey. This city has by far the worst media, radio and newspaper, going. An NFL city with a double A mentality. yikes


#13 Bob Malooga

Bob Malooga

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

View Postvegas55, on 18 July 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

You're a "moron" too...THE SABRES ARE IN CAMP...THE BILLS ARE NOT!!! How f*cking hard is this to understand, holy sh*t!

Not to mention the Buffalo Sabres have been twice as relevant as the Buffalo Bills have in the past 15 years...that's a FACT.

Edited by Bob Malooga, 18 July 2014 - 04:30 PM.


#14 ET1062

ET1062

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostBob Malooga, on 18 July 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

You're a "moron" too...

I assume I am the other "moron"?

BTW, the Sabres are not in camp, it was a developmental camp, not training camp. Same thing as BIlls rookies reporting for OTA's

#15 GG

GG

    Exit 151

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

View PostET1062, on 18 July 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:



It is preempted for Sabres games during the Bills season.  The Hockey show should be the one being preempted, the two shows should switch time slots in my opinion, but that would make too much common sense.

It gets preempted 82 times during the regular season?

#16 Bob Malooga

Bob Malooga

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostET1062, on 18 July 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:



I assume I am the other "moron"?

BTW, the Sabres are not in camp, it was a developmental camp, not training camp. Same thing as BIlls rookies reporting for OTA's
No, he was referring to anybody not agreeing with you as being "moronic." Your opinion is your opinion and I welcome it.

However, the Sabres ARE IN CAMP, no matter what the camp is, they are in camp...whereas the Bills simply ARE NOT, they JUST arrived.

I don't understand how you cannot see the difference? Nor can I understand how you cannot understand Buffalo is a HUGE hockey market? Some of the best players in the NHL are from this area...Patrick Kane, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Brian Gionta...and plenty more. They are moving the scouting combine from Toronto to Buffalo. They are having World Junior Championships in Buffalo. They are having the All-Americans Prospect's game in Buffalo.

They are not having anything other than Buffalo Bills football games in Buffalo.

Buffalo is a hockey market first and foremost...kids grow up wanting to play hockey, not football.

(And NONE of this is even my opinion...it is a fact. I love football. It's always been my #1 sport...but you cannot argue hockey in Buffalo, NY!)

And again, the simplest fact of them all? The Sabres have been more relavent in 15 years than the Bills have...you cannot debate that, it's a fact.

#17 ET1062

ET1062

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostBob Malooga, on 18 July 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

Well, your opinion is nice and all...but you couldn't be more uninformed and misguided.

The Sabres just finished development camp with 7 1st round picks in attendance.  Buffalo also placed 3rd in TV ratings for the Stanley Cup playoffs, while the team was dead last in the league. So, while you might not like hockey...there are plenty more than you that do. Not to mention, while we might be in the USA...you're in a hockey market.

And while they dedicated a half an hour to talk about the 3-on-3 tournament at Sabres camp today...they've spent 1+ hours on the Bills REPORTING to camp. That is the difference...the Sabres ARE IN CAMP...the Bills ARE REPORTING FOR CAMP.

Plus, I am sick of hearing about how good the Bills look with no pads on...they need to go out and prove themselves for once. Whereas the Sabres have the #1 prospect pool in the NHL, who will be the future, and they are already looking to prove themselves. One is far more interesting than the other.

PS. There were 10,000 people at a PROSPECT SCRIMMAGE...does training camp get that many people on one day? I doubt it.

The Bills actually limit the number of tickets distributed for night PRACTICES because demand would be more than the facility can handle.

That's a FACT!

#18 Bob Malooga

Bob Malooga

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostET1062, on 18 July 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

The Bills actually limit the number of tickets distributed for night PRACTICES because demand would be more than the facility can handle.
I go to every single night practice and I can usually get tickets just days before, if not that day.

There is no chance that 15,000 people would show up for training camp.

Nor do the Buffalo Bills have the #1 talent pool in their league...like the Buffalo Sabres have with their prospects.

Maybe when they start to become relevant again, or if EJ Manuel becomes an NFL QB...that will change...until then, it doesn't.


They do limit tickets, and for August 18th you could get 2 tickets...but they gave me 9 of them...because there's so many extras.

Edited by Bob Malooga, 18 July 2014 - 04:42 PM.


#19 ET1062

ET1062

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostGG, on 18 July 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

It gets preempted 82 times during the regular season?

The John Murphy show gets preempted for Sabres games, there are 82 games a season, of course you have to subtract out Saturday and Sunday games, that's why I said up to 82 times

Edited by ET1062, 18 July 2014 - 04:44 PM.


#20 vegas55

vegas55

    UDFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostBob Malooga, on 18 July 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:


You're a "moron" too...THE SABRES ARE IN CAMP...THE BILLS ARE NOT!!! How f*cking hard is this to understand, holy sh*t!

Not to mention the Buffalo Sabres have been twice as relevant as the Buffalo Bills have in the past 15 years...that's a FACT.

How hard is it to post a response without  an f bomb. And it's not really the same as a real Sabres training camp is it? I mean, it's just rookies and scrubs who play on third rate teams in a third rate league (compared to the NFL). Go ahead now, post a response that the sun will rise in the west tomorrow, that the NHL merits more media attention than the NFL. And don't forget the f bombs, genius.