19 replies to this topic

#1 BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

Jim K is tough but so is being a Bills fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

This note is directed primarily to newbies on the board though it can also serve as a reminder to those who have been around for some time about moderator practices now that camp has kicked off and games are just around the corner.  First, if you have not read the board terms of service you should do so.  there is a hyperlink to get to them in the lower right hand corner of the screen or here it is:

http://forums.twobil...tion=boardrules

One of the first things you will note from the T.O.S. is that there are not many hard and fast rules.  As a member of the board you are largely asked to keep this an active and fun community through the use of good judgement, respect for others and through application of the golden rule.  If you do these things you will have no issues with other board members including the mods.

With that said, it is also important to point out that each mod is a board member just like you, we act according to individual judgement, we volunteer to do this and it is SDS's sole discretion if and for how long we may participate in the board community in this capacity.  Given that we act independently it is important for you as a board participant to understand that two mods may have very different views on a given situation.  I would say that extreme cases of this are rare but small gradations are probably common.  To help sort through this "grey" mods do confer with each other on what they deem to be major issues.

Now I will go through a few "Q&A's" about the moderation of the board during the season and games in particular:

Q: Is moderation "tighter" during the season?
A: On the main board in particular, yes.  If for no other reason, like the board in general the mods are more active during the season so things that may have simply been unobserved in the relative quiet of the offseason are noticed.  Also, while not through a written rule or standard the mods individually determine if they want to "tighten" things up during the season and it is my observation that generally they do.

Q: For what things will members get warnings?
A: Start with the terms of service http://forums.twobil...ardrules  given there are not many  written standards a direct violation of the t.o.s. will usually lead to a warning.  Depending on the severity of the situation the action may also go beyond a simple warning.  Beyond the t.o.s. warnings are given out according to individual mod discretion and for what I would call understood but unwritten rules.

Q: What are the understood but unwritten rules?
A; The most basic one is that if as a mod I take the time to PM you about an issue or behavior and explain why it is out of bounds and then you do it again would it be hard to understand why I would escalate to a formal warning or something more severe? I'll explain PPP through another Q&A but if you bring political issues and the "tone" of PPP to other forums you will likely get warned.  Finally, the most frequent reason for warnings is simply that attacks of other posters is not tolerated.  It is perfectly acceptable to disagree with opinions, thoughts or statements but it is also entirely unacceptable to attack the person communicating those things.

Q:  Are long-timers given more leeway or discretion?
A: Probably yes, It is hard to answer this question in a sweeping or general way as again each mod acts according to his or her own judgement and each situation has to be evaluated according to its own circumstances.  However, I feel I am on relatively safe ground in saying if two long timers like Joe_the_6_Pack and Chef Jim are having some sort of b-slapping exchange with each other off the main board it is likely tolerated for a bit.  This is much different than if one or both of them starts b-slapping a newbie on the main board.  It is also different than two newbies going at it.  In the case of two newbies going at it both may get a warning.  You may ask why, and there really isn't a "fair" explanation other than to say the long-timers have earned an opportunity for this because they understand and have generally followed both the written and unwritten rules of the place over a period of time.

Q: Is the main board moderated differently than other forums?
A: Yes, generally it is watched a little more attentively and because it is the "entrance" to the community for newbies and guests the mods try to keep it a little tidier.  There is also an unwritten standard that Politics, Polls and Pundits (PPP) is allowed to be a much more lively and passionate place.  Given it exists to focus on topics that people take very personally and hold very intense opinions about they do have a lot of room to maneuver in the forum. Also, the primary participants in the forum are long-timers so go to the point above.

Q: Can I start new threads during games?
A: No, the mods protect server performance the best they can during games so new threads are not allowed during games.  Generally there will be at least one mod intently watching for this during the games and s/he will automatically lock or delete new threads opened during the game.

Q: How do I post during games then?
A:  There are three main threads associated with every game that you can post in: Official pre-game thread, 1st half thread and 2nd half thread.  Each of these threads is in turn locked by a mod at kickoff, halftime and end of game respectively.  This is done to help with server performance.

Q: Is the shoutbox active during games?
A: Yes, and generally there is at least one mod active in it during games.  That mod will do her/his best to keep control of the insanity.  You should know that no different than posts, you can be warned about your statements or behavior in the shoutbox.

Q: Speaking of warnings what are they all about?
A: They are a simple tool to help mods communicate with you.  I've said elsewhere that if you have a decent number of posts (say 1,000 or more) and you have one or two warnings it is likely a "meh" sort of situation.  Of course, it depends on what they are for and to a certain extent how recently they have been issued.  The mods do have the ability to look at your warning history and will use this to determine if escalation of action taken is warranted.

Additional comments:

- the around the league thread will continue on game days.
- a couple of board members have long traditions of initiating threads during camp (Astrobot) and after games (Bill in NYC). It will be up to them whether they continue to do so.  As long as participation in the thread follows board decorum there is no reason from a moderation perspective to do anything with these threads.  

I hope this information is useful to you.  If you have questions drop them in this thread.  I'll leave this on the main board for a few days and then punt it over to customer service.  Enjoy the season.

#2 NoSaint

NoSaint

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,497 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

For game days we had started doing an "around the league" thread a few weeks last year in addition to the bills game threads and I liked that. Just suggesting we do that again on game days

The only other thing that comes to mind is finding a way to get the college board going better. Any chance it can be featured similar to OTW so it's not forgotten? I know mods were kind about allowing a thread or two on Saturday for big games on the main board but it'd be cool to figure out how to nurture that in season as I think getting posters into talks about guys in October makes the predraft section of the year have better discussions.

Edited by NoSaint, 19 July 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#3 SRQ_BillsFan

SRQ_BillsFan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Question: long time lurker few years a member went through a few usernames (password issues). Usually use tpa talk on my phone, how do I know it I have a PM or a warning? Maybe I have never had one.

#4 Teen Insight

Teen Insight

Two HOFs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

View PostSRQ_BillsFan, on 19 July 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

Question: long time lurker few years a member went through a few usernames (password issues). Usually use tpa talk on my phone, how do I know it I have a PM or a warning? Maybe I have never had one.
I don't see a way to do it on Tapatalk, but on a browser, you can see how many you have under your post count on any post.

#5 BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostNoSaint, on 19 July 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

For game days we had started doing an "around the league" thread a few weeks last year in addition to the bills game threads and I liked that. Just suggesting we do that again on game days

The only other thing that comes to mind is finding a way to get the college board going better. Any chance it can be featured similar to OTW so it's not forgotten? I know mods were kind about allowing a thread or two on Saturday for big games on the main board but it'd be cool to figure out how to nurture that in season as I think getting posters into talks about guys in October makes the predraft section of the year have better discussions.

My oversight and yes the around the league thread will continue.

SDS's call on the college board.

View PostSRQ_BillsFan, on 19 July 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

Look just below your avatar if you have a warning (which you do not) it is linked there.

View PostTeen Insight, on 19 July 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

I don't see a way to do it on Tapatalk, but on a browser, you can see how many you have under your post count on any post.

Correct

#6 jboyst62

jboyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,500 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

A big thing Buffalo Bill forgot.  Beerball says it a lot when things are hectic around here - moderators can't be everywhere at every time and they will not see every thread quickly or maybe even at all.  So, that's where warning the moderators of an action or post becomes important.  You can see below how the process works, and to my knowledge it is confidential.  If you see something fishy, alert a moderator.  If it is in the Shoutbox, copy and paste the info and alert the mods.  The shoutbox is logged and history can be pulled up by anyone.

Posted Image

View PostNoSaint, on 19 July 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

Agreed, I hope we can continue to do "Around the League" threads.

#7 NoSaint

NoSaint

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,497 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostMark Vader, on 19 July 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Agreed, I've tried getting some conversations going on college football, but very few responded and didn't keep up with it.

I wasn't sure if people didn't care for college football or that the college football board wasn't as convenient to get to.

The in game threads get a lot of contributors - I think it's a product of it being out of sight, out of mind so it's difficult to get the momentum going with a large enough crowd.

Even when there's random news that startsBig threads on the main board- they get moved and after getting pages of replies on the main board really quick it's lucky to get 1-2 replies added once moved.

#8 DC Tom

DC Tom

Also sniping at retards from the balcony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,892 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

Something I want to stress for the newbies that you missed:

If you start a thread on a topic already under discussion, it will be locked.  I repeat: If you start a thread on a topic already under discussion, it will be locked.

It's not personal (most of the time.  The exception being if you're an attention whore who demands a separate thread for your opinions.  Then it'll become very personal.)  So take two minutes to search for an existing thread before starting a new one on a popular or currently hot topic.

#9 FireChan

FireChan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

View Postjboyst62, on 19 July 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

A big thing Buffalo Bill forgot.  Beerball says it a lot when things are hectic around here - moderators can't be everywhere at every time and they will not see every thread quickly or maybe even at all.  So, that's where warning the moderators of an action or post becomes important.  You can see below how the process works, and to my knowledge it is confidential.  If you see something fishy, alert a moderator.  If it is in the Shoutbox, copy and paste the info and alert the mods.  The shoutbox is logged and history can be pulled up by anyone.

Posted Image

Agreed, I hope we can continue to do "Around the League" threads.

Narc.

#10 BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

View Postjboyst62, on 19 July 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Jboyst62 is correct and reports can be seen only by mods so they are confidential in the sense they can't be seen by the entire board.

View PostDC Tom, on 19 July 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

Something I want to stress for the newbies that you missed:

If you start a thread on a topic already under discussion, it will be locked.  I repeat: If you start a thread on a topic already under discussion, it will be locked.

It's not personal (most of the time.  The exception being if you're an attention whore who demands a separate thread for your opinions.  Then it'll become very personal.)  So take two minutes to search for an existing thread before starting a new one on a popular or currently hot topic.

I am an idiot and you are correct.

#11 jboyst62

jboyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,500 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

View PostTriple Threat, on 19 July 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

I don't understand the intent of this post.  Can you explain?
Back before you joined the board when we were having a QB controversy and recently with the new ownership we are facing members would post a thread every day about their new thoughts or take on the same old story.  It really cluttered the board with 5 threads pro Fitz, 3 threads pro Brohm, and 5 threads pro Trent Edwards.  For a while recently it was any little blurp about ownership anywhere would get a new thread started on the same story making the board hard to really sift thru for actual Bills news -instead of making it streamlined, much like the like the thread about the Bills now being for sale.  Yes, it's long, but it is all there in one place and much easier to read whats going on there.

#12 BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostPills -N- Bills, on 19 July 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

The internet police are serious around here too serious most of the time.

Did you read the fourth Q&A?  I am not going to ding you for an inane comment in this thread especially since you are so likely to step into your own crap soon enough.

#13 BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

View PostMark Vader, on 19 July 2014 - 11:44 PM, said:

Now I have a request, could I please get the names of all the Global Moderators? Not your real names, but your TBD names.

If you go to very bottom of the opening page on TSW there are links showing the admins, moderators and staff.  

Here it is:

http://forums.twobil...y_name&st=0&b=1

#14 NoSaint

NoSaint

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,497 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostTriple Threat, on 20 July 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

I've actually been a member a lot longer than my profile says but due to an arguement with John Wawrow my account got suspended indefinitely (we've since kissed and made up years ago).  They wouldn't let me reactivate my old account (Buffalonian At Heart).   I must miss that this happens because I don't see the clutter that much, but I get what you're saying.

It's because the mods are on it fast when it does happen.

#15 Mark Vader

Mark Vader

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostBuffaloBill, on 19 July 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

My oversight and yes the around the league thread will continue.

SDS's call on the college board.
Come on SDS, make the college board a lot more visible. Please.

#16 Triple Threat

Triple Threat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

View PostNoSaint, on 20 July 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

It's because the mods are on it fast when it does happen.

They must be because I come here multiple times a day and from time to time I'll see a duplicate and get a kick out of the "in" comments.

So not to be a smart butt, but if it's removed that quickly why would it aggravate the veteran posters so much?

#17 joesixpack

joesixpack

No longer a hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,136 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

I'd like to take a moment to point out that the "Joe the six pack" being referred to in this post is not me.

I'm generally well-behaved, and genteel.

Thank you for your time ;)

#18 BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

View Postjoesixpack, on 21 July 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

I'd like to take a moment to point out that the "Joe the six pack" being referred to in this post is not me.

I'm generally well-behaved, and genteel.

Thank you for your time ;)

My apologies for writing the point up in a way that directly mixed or caused confusion of board names. It was unintentional on my part.
To your point you have someone with a very similar identity.  I changed the OP to exactly match the identity the other "Joe" set up.

Finally, aside from the issue above my apologies again if this situation led to any other problems for you as I agree with your self assessment of board behavior.

#19 joesixpack

joesixpack

No longer a hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,136 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostBuffaloBill, on 21 July 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

My apologies for writing the point up in a way that directly mixed or caused confusion of board names. It was unintentional on my part.
To your point you have someone with a very similar identity.  I changed the OP to exactly match the identity the other "Joe" set up.

Finally, aside from the issue above my apologies again if this situation led to any other problems for you as I agree with your self assessment of board behavior.

:lol:

It was mostly tongue-in-cheek as I can get someone...ornery.

#20 jboyst62

jboyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,500 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

View PostTriple Threat, on 20 July 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

They must be because I come here multiple times a day and from time to time I'll see a duplicate and get a kick out of the "in" comments.

So not to be a smart butt, but if it's removed that quickly why would it aggravate the veteran posters so much?
we hit F5 at lightning speed.  Our reflexes have adapted to sheer brilliance.  Being raised in the dark, in deprived basements, our cat like reflexes hit F5 in sheer split seconds on an atomic level.

Reply to this topic