345 replies to this topic

#341 Willyville Guy

Willyville Guy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

This past week has been insane.  I'm exhausted by all the activity at the WHAC.

I needed a little pick me up yesterday, so I went and counted the seven (7) five stars coming in.  Go Bucks.

#342 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,922 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:45 PM

5 star DT Taron Vincent (son of Troy) committed today.

DL is getting nasty. Vincent, Chase Young, Nick Bosa, Jonathon Cooper, Malik Barrow, Haskell Garrett & Jerron Cage.
Then there is Micah Parsons, who the Buckeyes are trying hard to flip. Where are you going to run?
Throw it? Nah. Jeffrey Okudah, Shaun Wade, Kendall Sheffield, Marcus Williamson, Isaiah Pryor, Amir Riep and Jaiden Woodbey.

Edited by YoloinOhio, 02 April 2017 - 06:46 PM.

#343 Willyville Guy

Willyville Guy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

One of the takeaways from the Clemson game was that OSU didn't have any of the enormous and athletic DLs that the schools down south seem to have.   So pulling Vincent away from FSU is a huge win. 

Looking forward to the spring game! 

#344 Willyville Guy

Willyville Guy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

Spring Game notes:

Touch tackling to start the game suggests that the coaches are more concerned than usual about injuries and depth.  Not a great sign but it’s only April.   Funniest take I saw was Ben Axelrod’s comment that touch tackling was a tribute to the 2013 defense.  :lol:

The QB situation is as we predicted.  JT is the unquestioned leader of the team and a great running QB.  He was also the third best passer in the Spring Game.  His only deep ball attempt was intercepted.  The other two (three!) looked silky smooth.  I’m concerned that if the passes are still ugly early on in the season, the fans in the Shoe will start clamoring for one of the kids.  Wilson and Day need to get this right.

WR is still unsettled.  Good to see Dixon finally get out there and show his stuff – if he can avoid injury then he seems like “the guy” to me.  Sounds like the coaches plan to rely heavily on McLaurin, who did not impress me much last year.  Hopefully he can make the leap.  I’m still high on K.J. Hill.  Victor may have a maturity issue. 

H-back looks sweet with McCall and Campbell.  On the RB side, it’s interesting that Dobbins is already challenging A. Williams on the depth chart.  Not sure what the issue is with Williams, or if Dobbins is just a stud.

Defense looked nasty up front. CBs got abused a little bit – hopefully that suggests nothing more than improving WR play, but it’s tough to ignore the amount of talent that has left for the NFL from the back end.  Plenty of work to do for Coach Coombs.

Last year the story coming out of the Spring Game was what a great weapon Torrence Gibson would be at WR – and we know how that story ended.  So as usual, none of this my amount to a hill of beans but it was good to see a packed stadium and the team on the field.

#345 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,922 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

I loved what I saw from the offense last week, particularly because the offense is usually behind the defense at this point and I'm not worried about the D. It will be hard to be replace the big 3 in the secondary and we have a lot of youth back there but again, tOSU had proven to be able to reload and often be even better - this is due to the recruiting successes and I believe player development under Schiano. The DL is is going to be absolutely nasty especially with the talk of playing Hubbard at LB and essentially having 5 pash rushers.

Biggest question mark for me is again the WR development. It's critical and they did look good. I am really rooting for Dixon to break through after the injury issues he's had. But they have so much young talent -- will it ever come to fruition? One thing I saw is TE usage. Pretty excited about AJ Alexander.

I'm really struggling about JT. I know folks will say it's crazy but I'd rather see Haskins or Burrow. It will never happen though and I need to accept that. I appreciate what JT has done, but I just think the other two are better QBs while JT is better at running for the 1st down, running the read Option. The most I can hope for is Urban somehow using 2 QBs. He's done it before with success but it has to be very strategic. Regardless, I hope JT comes out and makes me look like an idiot!
GO BUCKS!

Edited by YoloinOhio, 22 April 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#346 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,922 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

This is crazy... what a recruiting class!

FIRST-ROUND PICKS FROM 2013 CLASS
PLAYER SELECTION TEAM
Joey Bosa No. 3 Los Angeles Chargers
Ezekiel Elliott No. 4 Dallas Cowboys
Eli Apple No. 10 New York Giants
Darron Lee No. 20 New York Jets
Gareon Conley No. 24 (2017) Oakland Raiders

@benaxelrod
18 of Ohio State's 22 2014 national title team starters now in the NFL, plus Billy Price who's still in school. Pretty remarkable team.

Imagine reading this tweet the day after Braxton Miller went down.

Edited by YoloinOhio, 29 April 2017 - 09:34 PM.