Jump to content


Ross Cockrell at the Midpoint of Training Camp


  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 johnwalter

johnwalter

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:25 PM

@ChrisBrownBills: Ross Cockrell probably had defensive play of day for #Bills. On a deep pass play Cockrell tipped pass, gathered himself & made INT off tip.

--------------------

That's the sort of thing I've gotten used to reading about Ross Cockrell once a week - he's been flashing all camp.

Cockrell has the skills to get it done at an NFL level.  If the Donnie Henderson can coach him into getting it done consistently (and if there's any Bills positional coach I believe in, it's Donnie Henderson), I think this kid will end up being one of our better late-round steals since Kyle Williams.  I'm not saying I believe he's a guaranteed Richard Sherman, but I think Whaley has set up the Bills to have a strong defensive backfield for the next half decade.  As McKelvin and Graham reach their 30's we can transition to into one of the best secondaries in the NFL with veterans Stephon Gilmore and Aaron Williams leading up a talented group including Ross Cockrell and Nickell Robey.

Edited by johnwalter, 14 August 2014 - 10:27 PM.


#2 Big Blitz

Big Blitz

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

Was he the corner that shutdown Mike Evans in the bowl game---a game Evans was clearly frustrated during that at one point Jonny Football got in his face to try and fire him up--I think it was after A&M scored a TD.

But yea, I agree.  Im excited about this kid.

Edited by Big Blitz, 14 August 2014 - 10:54 PM.


#3 Dennis in AZ

Dennis in AZ

    God bless you, Mary Wilson

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

View Postjohnwalter, on 14 August 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

@ChrisBrownBills: Ross Cockrell probably had defensive play of day for #Bills. On a deep pass play Cockrell tipped pass, gathered himself & made INT off tip.

--------------------

That's the sort of thing I've gotten used to reading about Ross Cockrell once a week - he's been flashing all camp.

Cockrell has the skills to get it done at an NFL level.  If the Donnie Henderson can coach him into getting it done consistently (and if there's any Bills positional coach I believe in, it's Donnie Henderson), I think this kid will end up being one of our better late-round steals since Kyle Williams.  I'm not saying I believe he's a guaranteed Richard Sherman, but I think Whaley has set up the Bills to have a strong defensive backfield for the next half decade.  As McKelvin and Graham reach their 30's we can transition to into one of the best secondaries in the NFL with veterans Stephon Gilmore and Aaron Williams leading up a talented group including Ross Cockrell and Nickell Robey.
I love the way Doug Whaley is building the team.

I also love what Donnie Henderson has done in (seemingly) greatly improving McKelvin, Aaron Williams, and the other DBs.

I imagine Ross Cockrell will benefit from that great coaching and become a capable CB for us.

#4 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,836 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

View PostBig Blitz, on 14 August 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

Was he the corner that shutdown Mike Evans in the bowl game---a game Evans was clearly frustrated during that at one point Jonny Football got in his face to try and fire him up--I think it was after A&M scored a TD.

But yea, I agree.  Im excited about this kid.
Yep, that was him. In a 52-48 game in which there were 13 TDs, Evans had none, and caught 4-72 against Cockrell.

http://www.newsobser...e-cockrell.html

#5 jr1

jr1

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

He had a 27 on the Wonderlic

#6 Kelly the Dog

Kelly the Dog

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,836 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

View Postjr1, on 14 August 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

He had a 27 on the Wonderlic
But he has slow eyelashes, they almost never rise. That's not good.

#7 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,457 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:17 AM

View Postjr1, on 14 August 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

He had a 27 on the Wonderlic
I'd love to hear the conversations between him and McLovin.

#8 ko12010

ko12010

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

View PostYoloinOhio, on 15 August 2014 - 06:17 AM, said:

I'd love to hear the conversations between him and McLovin.
27 is not that bad of a score. About average.

#9 LOVEMESOMEBILLS

LOVEMESOMEBILLS

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

Yea, Kelly but if he wore a visor no one would be able to tell. It would greatly diminish his leadership skills though.

#10 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,457 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

View Postko12010, on 15 August 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

27 is not that bad of a score. About average.
i meant 27 is good. McLovin got like a 13.

Edit: according to Wikipedia, the avg for a CB is 18. Overall avg for all positions is 20.

Edited by YoloinOhio, 15 August 2014 - 06:40 AM.


#11 Whitewalker Merriman

Whitewalker Merriman

    Professional Kool-Aid Drinker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

I liked the pick a great deal. I do think it's fortunate that he has two very good corners ahead of him as he develops (4th round pick after all) but he has the size that Ron Brooks lacks, and I can possibly see him moving to FS if need be. All in all, I am very happy with the pick right now.

#12 Juice_32

Juice_32

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:33 AM

I know its early...REALLY EARLY. But, this draft class looks like it could pan out pretty well. I almost forgot about Cockrell.

#13 CountryCletus

CountryCletus

    Pro Bowl

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

View PostJuice_32, on 15 August 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

I know its early...REALLY EARLY. But, this draft class looks like it could pan out pretty well. I almost forgot about Cockrell.

Don't ever forget about the Cock....

#14 JaxBills

JaxBills

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

View Postjr1, on 14 August 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

He had a 27 on the Wonderlic
I've taken the wonderlic.   I can tell you this about it, it's not an intelligence test.

#15 Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

    When your number is called you got to make a play!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostJaxBills, on 15 August 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

I've taken the wonderlic.   I can tell you this about it, it's not an intelligence test.
Explain this to me, how do tests have intelligence?

View PostYoloinOhio, on 15 August 2014 - 06:36 AM, said:

i meant 27 is good. McLovin got like a 13.

Edit: according to Wikipedia, the avg for a CB is 18. Overall avg for all positions is 20.
I'm surprised he got a 13. I was expecting a 3.

Maybe there is something more going on above those shoulders than expected.

Edited by Why So Serious?, 15 August 2014 - 09:58 AM.


#16 Max997

Max997

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,895 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

Even more impressive is Cockrell will at best be the 5th CB this year and maybe even 6th if they keep Brooks.

I still have major concerns with Gilmore though

You can't put much into the Wonderlic as most of these guys prob don't take it seriously and just want to get it over with.

Edited by Max997, 15 August 2014 - 08:18 AM.


#17 Mango

Mango

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

View Postko12010, on 15 August 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

27 is not that bad of a score. About average.

Mr. Stanford, Trent Edwards only got a 30 or 31.

#18 ScottLaw

ScottLaw

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostMax997, on 15 August 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

Even more impressive is Cockrell will at best be the 5th CB this year and maybe even 6th if they keep Brooks.

I still have major concerns with Gilmore though

You can't put much into the Wonderlic as most of these guys prob don't take it seriously and just want to get it over with.

I'm concerned about both starting corner back positions.  These new rule changes hurt them, especially Gilmore with his physical style of play.

****, at the rate the NFL is going with the way they want "big, explosive plays" there won't even be a corner back position in a few years. It's really getting stupid, why continue to fix something that isn't broke?

Edited by ScottLaw, 15 August 2014 - 08:44 AM.


#19 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,457 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

View PostMango, on 15 August 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Mr. Stanford, Trent Edwards only got a 30 or 31.
Russell Wilson scored in the 20s. Fitzy got a 48 and finished in a record 9 minutes.

#20 SageAgainstTheMachine

SageAgainstTheMachine

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

The DB's and DL look to be first class units.  Sad that Alonso's out, because that pushes our LB into subpar territory.