Jump to content


Is Goodwin the next Roscoe?


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RCOHEN13

RCOHEN13

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

i watched a lot of U. Texas games and he was very under utilised but during EVERY telecast, they would make a reference or 2 to how they need to use this guy's speed. He was not as productive in college as Roscoe was, but i think he is gonna be a much of a WR in NFL that Roscoe did. BUT... Can this kid stay on field. If it's not 1 thing its another... Can we really rely on him being a 16 game NFL WR even if it is as a #4 "speed guy" role. He looked awesome on that slant pass he caught last week but got NAILED and flew like 5 yards from the hit!

He definitely makes team over guys like Featherstone Graham, but i just have that feeling that during telecasts of Bills game we will hear them make a reference to his "olympics" speed and how they need to look for him, and then for him to wind up with 1 fly route a game and then pull up lame with a hammy, a quad or something in game 3 or 4 and this be a recurring theme as was with Roscoe.

If Goodwin can stay on field, he can be a real nice extra toy for the offense when we go 4 and 5 WR sets or inserted in lineup in some 3 WR sets, especially in between the 40's where a deep shot is most likely cuz a FS has to keep an eye on him if he burns the CB out of the gate like he did few times last yr and some deep balls. Hopefully he can stay healthy and grab 35 catches and average 15+ a catch with 2-3 TD's this yr and be a distraction to teams safeties IF he can stay healthy. I just dont see him being able to be healthy for a full season but i hope i'm wrong cuz when he has been on the field, he's played well, has solid hands and has done very nicely in "regular" WR routes like that slant last week and he;s great on fly routes and comeback routes cuz DB's give him cushion and makes it easier for him to come back to the football.

#2 mikemac2001

mikemac2001

    Probation

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Streaks and Crossing Routes should be 95% of his routes to avoid him from getting hit and to use his speed across the field

#3 GreggyT

GreggyT

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

No. I liked Roscoe more than most on here when he was playing for the Bills, but Goodwin is a better athlete and has better receiving instincts -- runs better routes, better hands, and I believe he's more durable (though that's yet to be seen so that's a fair point to bring up as you have). Goodwin is going to have a good year, I suspect he plays 15 games this year, missing the last week only because by then the team will have clinched the AFC East and thus will be resting starters.

#4 Charles Romes

Charles Romes

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

#12 all time in yards per punt return. Not too shabby.  

http://m.pfref.com/m..._ret_career.htm

#5 RCOHEN13

RCOHEN13

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostCharles Romes, on 16 August 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

#12 all time in yards per punt return. Not too shabby.  

http://m.pfref.com/m..._ret_career.htm

Goodwin doesnt return punts for us. I hope he's our primary KO returner but with the ball pushed up those 5 yards, KO's that get returned are alot less common. I agree with MikeMac that Goodwin is a more viable WR option that Roscoe. Goodwin has that straight line speed and Roscoe was more a juker, which sometimes resulted in disaster plays and "what was he thinking" moments. Goodwin runs better routes and i also agree he's more suited for those quick slants, WR screens, go routes and comeback routes but if injuries happen in front of him and he has to move up depth chart, he is alot more capable of being a "regular" WR than Roscoe ever was.

My concern is that he is brittle like Roscoe. Even when he was healthy last yr, it seemed like when he was getting playing time, he seemed to come off limping alot, take hard falls diving for balls that are uncatchable. I love his talent and think he can bring extra dimension to Bills O but just concerned he will have similar nagging injures like Roscoe did and never be able to fully make an impact.

#6 The Jokeman

The Jokeman

    The Hoosier Daddy? select.....

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Parrish gets hated on because he didn't live up to his 2nd Round billing (as to think we passed on Vincent Jackson) but he was a good depth WR and above average return man. Yet with the current KO rules in place not sure Goodwin will prove to be anything to be more than JAG.

#7 You herd it hear last

You herd it hear last

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostGreggyT, on 16 August 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

No. I liked Roscoe more than most on here when he was playing for the Bills, but Goodwin is a better athlete and has better receiving instincts -- runs better routes, better hands, and I believe he's more durable (though that's yet to be seen so that's a fair point to bring up as you have). Goodwin is going to have a good year, I suspect he plays 15 games this year, missing the last week only because by then the team will have clinched the AFC East and thus will be resting starters.

But, he's not a starter. Who's gonna play WR in that game?

#8 Bubbles from Sunnyvale

Bubbles from Sunnyvale

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

In one season, Marquise Goodwin has already put up nearly half the touchdowns Roscoe Parrish did in his career.

Goodwin had 3 last year alone, Parrish has 7 in his entire career.

#9 Max997

Max997

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Goodwin needs to learn how to avoid hits bc he takes too many like the one last week. Get what you can and get down

#10 BADOLBEELZ

BADOLBEELZ

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostRCOHEN13, on 16 August 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

i watched a lot of U. Texas games and he was very under utilised but during EVERY telecast, they would make a reference or 2 to how they need to use this guy's speed. He was not as productive in college as Roscoe was, but i think he is gonna be a much of a WR in NFL that Roscoe did. BUT... Can this kid stay on field. If it's not 1 thing its another... Can we really rely on him being a 16 game NFL WR even if it is as a #4 "speed guy" role. He looked awesome on that slant pass he caught last week but got NAILED and flew like 5 yards from the hit!

He definitely makes team over guys like Featherstone Graham, but i just have that feeling that during telecasts of Bills game we will hear them make a reference to his "olympics" speed and how they need to look for him, and then for him to wind up with 1 fly route a game and then pull up lame with a hammy, a quad or something in game 3 or 4 and this be a recurring theme as was with Roscoe.

If Goodwin can stay on field, he can be a real nice extra toy for the offense when we go 4 and 5 WR sets or inserted in lineup in some 3 WR sets, especially in between the 40's where a deep shot is most likely cuz a FS has to keep an eye on him if he burns the CB out of the gate like he did few times last yr and some deep balls. Hopefully he can stay healthy and grab 35 catches and average 15+ a catch with 2-3 TD's this yr and be a distraction to teams safeties IF he can stay healthy. I just dont see him being able to be healthy for a full season but i hope i'm wrong cuz when he has been on the field, he's played well, has solid hands and has done very nicely in "regular" WR routes like that slant last week and he;s great on fly routes and comeback routes cuz DB's give him cushion and makes it easier for him to come back to the football.

The main thing they have in common is that when they are "hurt" they are actually "injured".   And they can't seem to play more than a few plays without getting hurt again.

That's the problem with being 5'5" and 150 pounds and playing in the NFL.   You break easier and the same injuries that big players can play thru and still produce.....you cannot.

It's a big man's game.   The little guys that make it....like Darren Sproles and Steve Smith.......are tough as nails and durable.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ, 16 August 2014 - 01:16 PM.


#11 over 20 years of fanhood

over 20 years of fanhood

    if at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,256 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Roscoe was very elusive and could stop an start on a dime, Goodwin is simply faster than anyone on the field.  They are very, very different players.


#12 GreggyT

GreggyT

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostYou herd it hear last, on 16 August 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:



But, he's not a starter. Who's gonna play WR in that game?

With the offense that is being run Goodwin is absolutely a starter: SWAT, Williams, Woods, and Goodwin are the top four wrs come September. They will be on the field a lot together, and have been in camp.

#13 John from Hemet

John from Hemet

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,335 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

To me the main difference is how they are used.

Anyone remember there was a time where the bills were pushing Roscoe has a primary threat on the on the offense?   And he sure looked the part to....till he got hurt.....and again....and again.

What they need to do is use Goodwin as a returner and sparingly as a WR....which it looks like they are smart enough to do....

#14 3rdand12

3rdand12

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,556 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

View Postover 20 years of fanhood, on 16 August 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Roscoe was very elusive and could stop an start on a dime, Goodwin is simply faster than anyone on the field.  They are very, very different players.
This is nice insight .
My concern is increasing with M Goodwin. He announced his sickle cell and asthma took him out of training camp.
But
He looks in great shape even for a speedster .
but i hope the Bills can protect him a little bit. Because he obviously is a special talent. And a lot of fun to watch !

Edited by 3rdand12, 16 August 2014 - 03:58 PM.


#15 Matt in KC

Matt in KC

    I'm a fractal of the man I used to be...

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

I'm hopeful Goodwin isn't as fragile as most Bills fans fear.  In college, he started all four years at Texas and only missed 2 games.  I know the NFL is different than college, but I don't think he's a particularly fragile player where we need to worry about any contact.  

Also, I've seen him be an eager aggressive blocker and heard him say he enjoys that part of the game in an interview.  Corroborating, there's this in his NLF.com draft profile:

Quote

Continues to hand fight downfield while blocking, gets into it with his opposition. Not afraid to hands catch over the middle, between linebacker and safety, and has speed to burn and break away if hit in stride.

I suspect in preseason they're just being protective of him; he's not on the bubble at all, and has nothing to prove.  For anything related to his "wheels" it's best to rest him and make sure he's 100%.  i hope he plays the full time EJ is in PS game 3 for the final tune up for the season.

#16 You herd it hear last

You herd it hear last

    RFA

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

View PostGreggyT, on 16 August 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

With the offense that is being run Goodwin is absolutely a starter: SWAT, Williams, Woods, and Goodwin are the top four wrs come September. They will be on the field a lot together, and have been in camp.

I'd be willing to say that about a nickel corner in today's NFL. It's a bit of a stretch saying a 4th WR is a starter.