191 replies to this topic

#1 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,377 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

1) EJ. I actually thought he looked pretty good. The pick to Chandler was actually a decent throw; most LBs aren't going to get their heads around to make that play (shazir is just sick). Thought he had some nice throws, esp to woods and chandler. If we can execute better in the redzone (maybe a healthy Watkins helps), then I think the reviews of EJ would have been glowing.

2) Cohen. This dude is a baller. Not even counting his 50-yd fumble recovery, he was getting great penetration and made at least two highlight plays.

3) 4th string WRs. It seems like we have a bunch of really rangy, athletic WRs at the bottom of the roster-- Summers, Elliot, Gurley. I have a feeling a few of these guys could really develop on the PS.

4) Duke Williams. I think he wins the starting job, and Searcy taking a bad angle on the long TD didn't help.

5) Carpenter. Don't think Hopkins makes it to the next rounds of cuts.

#2 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,822 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

Thanks! Haven't watched EJ yet, hoping for a replay. He was getting beat up on twitter but his #s looked fine. Not surprised Shazier got a pick. He is this years Kiko.

#3 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,377 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

View PostYoloinOhio, on 16 August 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

Thanks! Haven't watched EJ yet, hoping for a replay. He was getting beat up on twitter but his #s looked fine. Not surprised Shazier got a pick. He is this years Kiko.

Was thinking the same re kiko ( they both wear no. 50 too).

The twitter, in-game reaction to EJ is comical. He was good. Got rid of the ball quickly. The short passes weren't really "check downs"-- seemed to be by design, and we were getting 5-8 yards a pop.

#4 section122

section122

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

I like yours and want to add:

1) Run defense continues to impress me.  Teams are now more succesful throwing the ball but that run d is stout!

2) Fred Jackson - wow still doing his thing

3) The situational aspect of the game plan.  Marrone put the team on purpose in some situations that I liked seeing them get practice on.  Going for it on 4th a couple of times.  Tying the game and forcing the d to get a stop, etc...

Things I didn't like:

1) The Sammy injury.  Please be precautionary and nothing serious.

2) Chandler.  I just don't care for him as a player.  He is okay but I really dislike the fact that he is the #1 TE.

3) The announcers.  Holy cow.  So ridiculously bad.  Wrong down and distance, poor info, talked about Cohen possibly not catching on with the BIlls (!), etc...  It is surely preseason for them.

4) Back up QBs were atrocious today.  Thad looks nothing like last year and looks worse playing against backups than he did last year against starters.

5)  FIrst time I will rail on (offensive) play calling.  Poor timing for some plays, extremely predictable on others, just some head scratchers for me.

All in all I hate to get discouraged watching preseason or really letting the game move my meter at all but the lack of red zone execution (again) probably bothered me the most tonight.

#5 FluffHead

FluffHead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,011 posts

EJ wasn't terrible but he certainly wasn't good.

Biggest concerns were lack of playmaking and off target throws. Including behind hogan, way over woods head on third down, and even many completions he put in bad spots that limited YAC

#6 KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 16 August 2014 - 10:17 PM, said:

The twitter, in-game reaction to EJ is comical. He was good. Got rid of the ball quickly. The short passes weren't really "check downs"-- seemed to be by design, and we were getting 5-8 yards a pop.

You should see the game thread here...

#7 section122

section122

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

Yup I agree he looked fine out there.  Especially compared to last years atrocity against the Steelers.  Rolling out to the right was shown to be a weakness but he played very well to me (except getting the ball into the endzone).

#8 ChevyVanMiller

ChevyVanMiller

All-World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

Spot-on, JR.

Also, Robert Woods again impressed, can't see him 4th on the depth chart where the coaches seem to have him.

The 7th Rd kid, Randall Johnson, is a rangy LB who keeps making plays.

Also loved Frank Summers running the ball, hope he gets some regular season carries.

#9 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,822 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

@mikerodak: Manuel says defense was "dropping 7" and called his  emphasis on check downs a "sign of my maturity."

he is Kiko but runs a 4.4 and has a 42 inch vertical. Freak

#10 Big Blitz

Big Blitz

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

On the money about EJ JR.  Plus, I think Big Mike only played 2 series.   In the red zone I never saw him.

Plus the Oline was horrific.  The left side is missing.  Urbik is so bad right now.

The Steelers are tough.  I think they're winning the North.

#11 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,822 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

View Postsection122, on 16 August 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

Yup I agree he looked fine out there.  Especially compared to last years atrocity against the Steelers.  Rolling out to the right was shown to be a weakness but he played very well to me (except getting the ball into the endzone).
seems like they called plays in the red zone that they would not have called if the game counted.

#12 Delusional Bills Optimist

Delusional Bills Optimist

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

I agree, JR, with your points.  As horrid as the game seemed, the first units weren't atrocious.  

EJ moved the ball well, particularly with the delayed outlets to Fred.  I think if Sammy and Mike Williams were playing longer, they would've had much better luck in the red zone.  Really wish he would've seen Chandler running free in the seam the first time.

Cohen makes Branch expendable.

I hope Gurley finds a way to stick without being sniped by a team like NE.

Duke is certainly high energy and Searcy looked bad in coverage.

Carpenter makes Hopkins expendable, and opens a roster spot, maybe for a Gurley...

Fred and CJ looked decent against a stout front 7, even having to endure a slightly weakened left side.

Woods looked good once EJ found a way to hit him in the right spots.

Randell looks like he might be a great addition to our pretty shallow pass-rushing depth.

#13 Big Blitz

Big Blitz

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

Those complaining about 'checkdowns' Luck had 12 completions for 89 yards tonight.

Eli was 1-7.

Glennon was 5-10.

Geno threw a pick and no TDs.

#14 section122

section122

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

View PostYoloinOhio, on 16 August 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

seems like they called plays in the red zone that they would not have called if the game counted.
I hope so.  Seeing a trend continue from last year was not something I liked.  They had several opportunities and I would have loved to see them convert one.  Another thing I loved was the dominating t.o.p. for the first half.  If this was regular season the Bills would have faced a very tired Steelers D in the second half.  20+ minutes in the first half and they really dominated all stats except the scoreboard in that first half.

#15 Delusional Bills Optimist

Delusional Bills Optimist

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

View PostBig Blitz, on 16 August 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

Those complaining about 'checkdowns' Luck had 12 completions for 89 yards tonight.

Eli was 1-7.

Glennon was 5-10.

Geno threw a pick and no TDs.

As far as I'm concerned, "check downs" are great when the box is vacated.  Fred seemed like he was getting the ball with a free five yard cushion in front of him, as the DBs were working against our wide-outs 12-15 yards down field.  I think we all have Trent-Fitz checkdown PTSD because our outlets used to only pick up six inches against a defense that knew we had no deep threats/ability to throw dangerous deep balls.

#16 ExWNYer

ExWNYer

Hopeful Bills romantic at heart...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

View PostJR in Pittsburgh, on 16 August 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

1) EJ. I actually thought he looked pretty good. The pick to Chandler was actually a decent throw; most LBs aren't going to get their heads around to make that play (shazir is just sick). Thought he had some nice throws, esp to woods and chandler. If we can execute better in the redzone (maybe a healthy Watkins helps), then I think the reviews of EJ would have been glowing.

2) Cohen. This dude is a baller. Not even counting his 50-yd fumble recovery, he was getting great penetration and made at least two highlight plays.

3) 4th string WRs. It seems like we have a bunch of really rangy, athletic WRs at the bottom of the roster-- Summers, Elliot, Gurley. I have a feeling a few of these guys could really develop on the PS.

4) Duke Williams. I think he wins the starting job, and Searcy taking a bad angle on the long TD didn't help.

5) Carpenter. Don't think Hopkins makes it to the next rounds of cuts.
I pretty much agree with your assessment, JR, especially Cohen. He's been a revelation. Hopefully, he's finally found a home. EJ missed a couple of easy throws but was okay for the most part, IMO.

View Postsection122, on 16 August 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

I like yours and want to add:

1) Run defense continues to impress me.  Teams are now more succesful throwing the ball but that run d is stout!

2) Fred Jackson - wow still doing his thing

3) The situational aspect of the game plan.  Marrone put the team on purpose in some situations that I liked seeing them get practice on.  Going for it on 4th a couple of times.  Tying the game and forcing the d to get a stop, etc...

Things I didn't like:

1) The Sammy injury.  Please be precautionary and nothing serious.

2) Chandler.  I just don't care for him as a player.  He is okay but I really dislike the fact that he is the #1 TE.

3) The announcers.  Holy cow.  So ridiculously bad.  Wrong down and distance, poor info, talked about Cohen possibly not catching on with the BIlls (!), etc...  It is surely preseason for them.

4) Back up QBs were atrocious today.  Thad looks nothing like last year and looks worse playing against backups than he did last year against starters.

5)  FIrst time I will rail on (offensive) play calling.  Poor timing for some plays, extremely predictable on others, just some head scratchers for me.

All in all I hate to get discouraged watching preseason or really letting the game move my meter at all but the lack of red zone execution (again) probably bothered me the most tonight.
Marrone said in his presser that it was "a rib contusion". Not considered to be serious.

#17 BillsVet

BillsVet

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

EJ's thrown for 244 yards on 40 passing attempts, an average of 6.1 yards per attempt.  For a little perspective, Mike Glennon was 37th in the NFL last year with 6.27.  Everyone's favorite Harvard guy, Fitzpatrick, was at 7.01.  

It might seem like another meaningless statistic, but even in these vanilla show nothing offenses, EJ's production is far beneath average.  EJ's been the QB for 9 drives in the most recent 2 games and the first team offense has 9 points.  To say this offense is uninspiring is an understatement.

#18 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

10/8/14 - Welcome to Pegulaville

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,256 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

Chris Hogan is nothing more than a camp hero. In game action, he's simply not a legit difference maker from everything I have seen.

#19 CardinalScotts

CardinalScotts

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

why do we over cover, over rate and make judgements based on preseason games EVERY YEAR I don't get it. If your in line doing this stop your opinions are based on what again?
Fact is when the real games starts EJ and others are going to have to preform, everything else doesn't matter.
As far as OC - why would you show anything in preseason ?? really why would you??
As far as DC - why would your show anything in preseason ?? really why would you??

Maybe I'm in the minority but I put zero thought into preseason games, August all stars don't make September rosters

Edited by CardinalScotts, 16 August 2014 - 10:42 PM.

#20 thebandit27

thebandit27

Armchair Dynasty Architect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

I'd give EJ a C+ today.

He certainly wasn't terrible, but he needs to play better on a consistent basis.

I would definitely be planning to move Henderson to RT once Glenn is healthy.