7 replies to this topic

#1 truth on hold

truth on hold

All Pro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:08 AM

Someone told me theyre getting me a new PC for the holidays. That's great but it has windows 8.... which always looks bad to me in stores and even the most advanced developers I know say it took forever to get accustomed to.

But I think there are some applications that convert windows 8 user interface to 7. Anyone have experience with one they can recommend? Any issues like slowing down the CPU?

Thanks

Edited by JTSP, 18 November 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#2 LeviF91

LeviF91

Uh huh, alright.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

Get a gift receipt? :lol:

I asked around a little and my friend uses a program called Classic Shell to get a normal start menu. As far as the charms go, I'm pretty sure 8.1 allows you to disable at least some of them.

#3 Rob's House

Rob's House

It's all good, it's all right, !@#$ all day, &a

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,659 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

I'm running 8.1 and the adjustment was a B word, but once you get familiar with it it's not so bad. Windows could have saved a lot of head aches with a 90 second tutorial showing people how the new system is laid out.

#4 Wacka

Wacka

Makin' the homies say Ho and the girlies wanna scream

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,193 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

Get a Mac

#5 John Adams

John Adams

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

It pains me to say this but Wacka is right.

And if you don't have the means, don't get Windows 8. It's a cluster!@#$. I have it on one of my work machines. It hurts me every time I fire it up.

#6 truth on hold

truth on hold

All Pro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

Get a Mac

well I need an ultrabook for portability and HD screen .... Macbook Air is great but the screen resolution sucks. I dont want to see pixels anymore! Macbook pros have the screen, but theyre too heavy/thick.

Edited by JTSP, 04 December 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#7 DC Tom

DC Tom

Also sniping at retards from the balcony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,494 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

"Downgrade?" You mean upgrade to Windows 7.

I just got a Surface 3 Pro. Windows 8.1 is great for that, with a touch-screen...but I couldn't imagine using it on a desktop.

Stardock makes some good software (everyone should have Fences). They have a Start Menu app for Windows 8, but I've never used it.

#8 truth on hold

truth on hold

All Pro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:49 AM

well Ive got it and I have to say it's one of the more inefficient things Ive encountered. UIs should be logical and minimize the number of screens it takes to get where you want to go. I wouldnt say its hard to follow, just inefficient and wasteful. funny thing is Ive used touchscreen PCs with W7 and they worked fine. The most popular mobile UI - Android - is also closest to W7. wtf was MSFT thinking?

Probably the most obnoxious thing all those windows just seem to be an advertisement for Msft products and crappy apps. Other than incompetence I think that's the only logical explanation for the asinine UI

Edited by JTSP, 15 December 2014 - 07:56 AM.