#2042 MarkAF43

MarkAF43

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

In-laws

Personally I love my In-laws, but I might just be one of the lucky ones.

#2043 \GoBillsInDallas/

\GoBillsInDallas/

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

People who believe that their entire existence in life is defined by the school that they attended.

Two examples:

1. There is a company that has done some contract work for us, and one of their employees attends some meetings at our office. More than once, when we start discussing project financing, he dismisses everyone else's comments because he has "a Harvard MBA" which means that he considers all other financial comments in the meeting to be meaningless and uninformed.

2. We have a meeting every month with some county officials from a county that is located above 60 miles from Dallas. And when we drive there, we pass by a big house located on a big piece of property that also has a storage building near the road. And the entire side of the storage building is painted maroon with a big A&M logo in the center. And all around the logo are the numbers 88 and 89 (which indicate the husband/wife graduation years) and 15, 16 and 21 (which indicate the children's graduatiion years).

#2044 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

In-laws

Personally I love my In-laws, but I might just be one of the lucky ones.

My ex-in-laws had a holier than thou attitude with anyone that didn't think exactly like them. My future in-laws are great, down to earth, people that are a blast to be around.

#2045 Simon

Simon

Dirty Player

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,340 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

I totally get that.  If I split with my wife there would be a knock-down, drag out fight over the dog.

The house, the camp, the vehicles, kayaks, appliances, etc; all of that would be easy compared to who gets the dog.  :bag:

#2046 shrader

shrader

Pleased but sticky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:21 AM

My ex-in-laws had a holier than thou attitude with anyone that didn't think exactly like them. My future in-laws are great, down to earth, people that are a blast to be around.

I've had the wife's full family in town over the last couple days and your first sentence sums them up perfectly (except the ex part).  I won't get any further into the details since we just had a whole thread about it.  Sometimes a single word post is perfect for this thread.

#2047 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,400 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

People who believe that their entire existence in life is defined by the school that they attended.

Two examples:

1. There is a company that has done some contract work for us, and one of their employees attends some meetings at our office. More than once, when we start discussing project financing, he dismisses everyone else's comments because he has "a Harvard MBA" which means that he considers all other financial comments in the meeting to be meaningless and uninformed.
2. We have a meeting every month with some county officials from a county that is located above 60 miles from Dallas. And when we drive there, we pass by a big house located on a big piece of property that also has a storage building near the road. And the entire side of the storage building is painted maroon with a big A&M logo in the center. And all around the logo are the numbers 88 and 89 (which indicate the husband/wife graduation years) and 15, 16 and 21 (which indicate the children's graduatiion years).

As a corollary, how about the false modesty on the school? I have heard people say this all the time: "I went to a small school in new haven."

#2048 Augie

Augie

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,214 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

Two examples:

They say if a person went to Harvard you will usually hear about it in the first 10 minutes. I think there is some truth to that. We had a close friend we had known 10 years, and when someone else we just met went straight to the "hello, I went to Harvard" card, our friend shut him down with a quick "yeah, so did I but no one cares". What? Really? He said after he sold his business he got bored and went for an MBA, and he hates people who go straight there. It was a thing of beauty!

#2049 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,998 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

I know OT a bit, but to riff on the college thing. My kids go to a very competitive K-12 school. So for me, it is not the love of the school, but the parents who judge themselves based on which college their kids get in. 

In a bit of schadenfreude, I love how tunes have changed in Senior year as opposed to junior year...when little Susie would never go to school below the mason dixon( non-Ivy)....but now you are telling me Missouri and Virginia are fine states for schools . 

#2050 Teeflebees

Teeflebees

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

People who use the phrase "cool beans".

#2051 shrader

shrader

Pleased but sticky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

Especially when they're not teenage girls

#2052 Johnny Hammersticks

Johnny Hammersticks

No, this is not a good town for psychedelic drugs.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

When people put those stickers in the rear window of their vehicles of little stick figures representing members of their family...even their pets. Guess what? Nobody cares and it looks dumb.

#2053 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,400 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Haha; this is great. I had this client who was the 55-year old CEO of the company and always said "cool beans." It was so bizarre.

When people put those stickers in the rear window of their vehicles of little stick figures representing members of their family...even their pets. Guess what? Nobody cares and it looks dumb.

There is a big exception to this one. It's the stick figure family of the husband, wife, and a bag of money (i.e., no kids). That one is great!

#2054 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,068 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

Agree mostly, but there are a few exceptions

il_340x270.796348177_ryqh.jpg

The-Empire-Doesnt-Care-About-Your-Stick-

e212eac10dbd078c388bb7bf6850689f.jpg

#2055 mead107

mead107

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,065 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

I know OT a bit, but to riff on the college thing. My kids go to a very competitive K-12 school. So for me, it is not the love of the school, but the parents who judge themselves based on which college their kids get in. 

In a bit of schadenfreude, I love how tunes have changed in Senior year as opposed to junior year...when little Susie would never go to school below the mason dixon( non-Ivy)....but now you are telling me Missouri and Virginia are fine states for schools .

http://time.com/mone...rtune-500-ceos/

#2056 Just Jack

Just Jack

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:33 AM

When you tell a coworker to use certain part because you don't have enough of the other part. But they use the other part anyways and then ask you what to do because they ran out.

#2057 mead107

mead107

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,065 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

Safty first at GE until we have to get something out the door to make shipping date.

#2058 eball

eball

Omar Sly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,324 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

It's just the latest iteration of the idiotic "baby on board" phenomenon that existed 15 years ago, which was equally as irritating.

#2059 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,068 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:32 PM

When you tell a coworker to use certain part because you don't have enough of the other part. But they use the other part anyways and then ask you what to do because they ran out.

And by coworker, Jack means Craigslist hooker

#2060 Just Jack

Just Jack

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:04 PM

And by coworker, Jack means Craigslist hooker

I wish. A Craigslist hooker would actually be smarter.