94 replies to this topic

#21 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,964 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

I keep a photo of me at my heaviest on my bathroom mirror so I don't lose perspective. I've not only lost 40lb, I've lost it off my waist. I started with a disgustingly 52" waist. Now it's 44". Ultimate goal is 36". So about halfway there. I'd say another 20 lb fat loss will do it. For exercise, I do 45 minutes lifting three days a week, and 30 minutes cardio 3 days a week.

Gr8 job JSP!!! Awesome!!!

Mine was in my face/neck & belly. I was 296 the heaviest I ever saw last year... I was outta my mind besides myself! I am now 214 when I weighed myself today!

To my wife's angst a few years ago, I wouldn't donate my old clothes... @ my heaviest I was 42-44 waist, kinding cheating below the belly button. I blew through my old 40's this winter, into my 38's now and they are falling off when worn OVER my belly button... Pants/shorts are now worn normally, the right way just @ the belly button. I am not sure I have much attire in the 36" range, but I know I can probably fit into them.

Shirt size went from 3x back to a normal (what I consider my normal) XL... I still like things baggy (born in 1968 and 20 something in the grunge 1990's)... So the 2x attire feels okay but are pup tents... The 3x... Circus tents, especially in arms and around neck & belly... Night shirt... And I just got a work fleece x3 last fall, I don't dare pull that out, it is going to be a tarp!!! LoL

They call me "Huck Fin" @ work... I have to wear some pants up high an cinched with a belt, the material of the pants sometimes buckles up around the waist like football pants... LoL... When I am casual of course. Also, I have to always tuck my shirts in now, or they would look like a tent. Before, I had to wear everything out. I mentioned the xiphoid process thing and losing weight over 40 phenom. I see the doctor in September and will ask her just to be safe.

I should probably get a set of new duds... Yet, I'd probably fall off the wagon and pop like the Pillsbury Doughboy again... Ha!

I am still on track for 196... Not sure I can make it, here in the 2 teens seems like my natural weight @ 6-2 to 6-3. But I am trying!

By attrition works, slow but sure calorie deficit! Again, all... Keep up the good work and every little bit helps! Only cut 300-500 a day. Figure out your base metabolic rate (BMR) and go from there. Knowing that BMR will help you when days you do nothing and are a lazy slug... Like I am posting here! ;-)

Oh... Crystal Light and bottle water replaces the heavy soda. My teenage son thinks if guys drink that they will become feminized! LMAO... Young wirey punk! He'll get old too some day! Actually, I was reading that belly fat has a way of dropping testosterone and producing estrogen. Not sure how that is true, I think it mentioned an enzyme or something in belly fat... He's my son, so he has wacky ideas too and completely wrong... Ha ha! ;-)

#22 The Poojer

The Poojer

Just Your Everyday Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,130 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:19 AM

not sure if anyone watched the Chris Farley documentary the other night on SpikeTV but heard a great line from the most unlikely of people regarding struggles with weight(and drugs, but let's ignore the drug issue because it doesn't apply to me)

Tom Arnold said(paraphrasing), of Farley, he can quit drinking and drugging and look in the mirror and say, I am a recovering addict, but he can eat healthy and exercise but he still looks in the mirror and see's a fat guy....

the being patient and diligent is the hardest part...sure you see results, but they are soooooooooooooooooo slowwwwwwwwww.  it can be a bit demoralizing.

#23 thebandit27

thebandit27

Armchair Dynasty Architect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

not sure if anyone watched the Chris Farley documentary the other night on SpikeTV but heard a great line from the most unlikely of people regarding struggles with weight(and drugs, but let's ignore the drug issue because it doesn't apply to me)

Tom Arnold said(paraphrasing), of Farley, he can quit drinking and drugging and look in the mirror and say, I am a recovering addict, but he can eat healthy and exercise but he still looks in the mirror and see's a fat guy....

the being patient and diligent is the hardest part...sure you see results, but they are soooooooooooooooooo slowwwwwwwwww.  it can be a bit demoralizing.

This, IMO, is why prioritizing weight work is so important in the process.

When you cannot see the results in the mirror or on the scale, it is discouraging.  Seeing them on the workout log is often enough to convince people that changes are indeed happening.  You may not look different or weigh any less, but you cannot get stronger without building muscle, so if the numbers are getting better, then positive change is occurring.

#24 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,964 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

Exactly Pooj! Gr8 take. For some it helps if they didn't have weight issues throughout their life. I was was blessed w/only having those issues through my 40's. For me, the process to get back down has almost been a year (in November). For some, their bodies will respond... Others it is much harder. I am convinced, everybody has their own natural shape.

Keep plugging away all... And nickle and dime it away!

#25 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,965 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

Seriously man...that's why you need a "before" picture taped to your mirror, with updated stats scribbled on it.

Progress, NOT perfection. That should be your focus.

#26 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,964 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

JJ Watt eats 9,000 calories a day... Wasn't it rumored that Michael Phelps hit 12,000.

Wow to be young again!  LMAO... I am not even sure in my younger days, I wouldn't have porked out on those numbers!  :lol:   But I could eat a whole pizza and 2 litre of soda and not gain... :bag:

Mountain men in the 1800's would need 6,000 just to survive.   BUT, probably no sugar and carbs... Just meat/protein???

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 13 August 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#27 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,964 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:19 PM

Here's this:

Low-fat beats low-carbs!

http://touch.latimes...e/p2p-84203817/

#28 thebandit27

thebandit27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

Here's this:

Low-fat beats low-carbs!

http://touch.latimes...e/p2p-84203817/

The full text of that study is very interesting...nearly all of the health markers monitored showed greater improvement in the reduced-fat diet, but the fat mass loss was greater in the reduced carb diet.

While I'm not a doctor (so take this with a grain of salt), I do read this type of stuff all the time since I make a living in the fitness industry, and here's my take:

Specific fatty acids are required by the body to produce hormones (like testosterone, leptin, etc.); many of these are saturated fatty acids, which are readily available in many foods like meats, eggs, coconut, etc.  When the body is denied these fatty acids, it will metabolize body fat (the chemical composition of which is nearly identical to dietary saturated fat) in order to access a ready supply.  This is neither an easy or an efficient process, so the body would "prefer" to get them from dietary sources, and instead use body fat (adipose tissue) as a slow-burning fuel for everyday bodily function.

Looking at the study design, notice the drastic difference in dietary saturated fat intake between the two diets:

Table 2.

Nutrient Content of the Baseline and Reduced-Carbohydrate and Reduced-Fat Diets

Baseline Diet RC Diet RF Diet Energy (kcal) 2,740 1,918 1,918 Energy density (kcal/g) 1.27 1.36 0.79 Protein (g) 101 101 105 Fat (g) 109 108 17 Carbohydrate (g) 350 140 352 Total fiber (g) 24 16 21 Sugars (g) 152 37 170 Saturated fat (g) 39 36 4 Monounsaturated fat (g) 43 40 4 Polyunsaturated fat (g) 21 24 4 Cholesterol (mg) 472 522 189 Sodium (mg) 4,514 4,514 4,533 Protein (% energy) 14.5 20.9 21.1 Fat (% energy) 35.3 50.1 7.7 Carbohydrate (% energy) 50.2 29 71.2 Saturated fat (% energy) 13.2 17.3 1.9 Monounsaturated fat (% energy) 14.6 19.7 2.1 Polyunsaturated fat (% energy) 7 11.9 1.9 Omega-3 fatty acids (g) 2.2 2.9 0.6 Omega-6 fatty acids (g) 18.1 21.3 3.5 Omega-6:Omega-3 ratio 8.3 7.4 6

RC, reduced carbohydrate; RF, reduced fat.

Nearly none in the RF diet.  Basically, the body is metabolizing fat in order to get essential fatty acids that are normally provided in the diet.  I wouldn't recommend limiting fat this much, as it is essential.  Now, it works okay for obese individuals (at least temporarily), because they have an excess of body fat to provide.  Over time, as that initial excess of adipose tissue becomes less bio-available, hormone levels will drop, and saturated fats will need to become a bigger part of the diet in order to maintain a "normal" rate of fat oxidation.

#29 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,964 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:56 PM

Thanx for a great break down bandit!

Now here is truly, interesting thought about nickle and diming a few extra calories away a day:

I know it may be insignificant, but what about driving a manual transmission? Wife and I for the first time in 10 years have been driving standard again. There is a little bit more leg (driving with left leg) and hand activity, coupled w/more mental (aerobic) thought. Weigh the two things that lead me to believe you can burn a little bit more:

1. The slight gain in physicall and mental activity.
2. The inability to NOT drink and eat EASILY while driving.

I guess, one can argue that truck drivers tend to be wide loads... But isn't that because they are on the road, bad sleep habits, and of course: road food... Which can be mostly junk. Now, couple that with eating and driving, which can be still done while working a manual gear box. It is not impossible, but the activity needed does discourage gratuitous eating and drinking. OTR (over the road) truckers do have nothing else to pass the time. Drive and eat. Sleep. I wonder if there are studies on this?

FWIW... "Food" for thought. If "toe-tapping" is on this list of 25, surely driving a stick should be!

#30 The Poojer

The Poojer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,130 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:22 AM

after almost a year, dragged my fat ass out of bed this morning and went for a walk, the walk was to the train station where I knew there were sets of 54 and 4 steps from parking lot to platform.  did 5 quick sets up and down then finished with about a 3/4 mile wind down stroll...not much and man did it wipe me out.  but i intended on doing 5 sets and i did 5 sets, that has to count for something....right???

#31 thebandit27

thebandit27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

after almost a year, dragged my fat ass out of bed this morning and went for a walk, the walk was to the train station where I knew there were sets of 54 and 4 steps from parking lot to platform.  did 5 quick sets up and down then finished with about a 3/4 mile wind down stroll...not much and man did it wipe me out.  but i intended on doing 5 sets and i did 5 sets, that has to count for something....right???

Indeed.

One of the biggest assets in your weight loss will be consistent slow movement. Walking, taking the stairs, cycling outdoors, etc. It all adds up.

#32 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,964 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

Yep! Gr8 job Pooj, just keep track of a routine... ANY routine. Like Bandit said, it adds up. I saw my first 209 yesterday! I would obsess about food when I was idle @ the desk... Let alone nursing on full-power soda when I would walk in through the door. I have kept a 2 litre bottle of Cherry Coke in the back of the work fridge for the last 6 months... Brand new and uncracked. I will kill the SOB whoever opens it. I think the last time I opened a 2 litre bottle was @ home a few months ago and I measured out 12 ounces a day for about a week! LoL I stopped that dangerous experiment very quickly! JSP uses a picture on his bathroom mirror, I use an uncracked bottle of Cherry Coke! LoL...

I walk all the time now to get boats @ work. I refuse to take the electric Cushman golf carts most of the time. On the lockwall, I am about 600 feet from the control house that I operate. Back in my hyrdographic survey days, I remember pacing out about 35 steps for a hundred feet. I am still on the money @ about 200 steps for those 600 feet. The nice thing about the lockwall is everything in divided up w/signs/numbers every 50 feet. I ballpark and keep track of the how many times around the place... How many lockages I put in the computer, I can tell how much I walked. End of upper guidewall to end of lower guidewall is 3,000 feet. I try and do @ one circuit (+6,000') @ least every shift (5 times a week) on top of getting to the boats.

Through the years I would do this circuit... But it was always during Bills-Sabres games... Especially Sabres games when they needed a goal! LoL... Let me explain, it was my "nervous walk". When the games would get too nerve wrecking, I would walk around... LMAO, it would keep me busy from dealing w/the stress. Now it keeps me from pounding drink/food @ work! :-/

My biggest thing too would be the 4-Midnight shift, which I am on now. Day in and day out it would revolve around picking something up on the way to work... Subway, gryos, calzones/pizza, tacos/tortas,chips & salss, etc... Usually gr8 tasting BAD food that would of course get washed down w/soda! I was literally nickle and diming the calories on during the afternoon swing every month, let alone the pocketbook being nickled and dimed away! It was like "party time." :-( :-( Now I just put simple meals in the freezer @ work and eat once on afternoon shift... And only one 12 ounce soda, if even that. Mostly water or say a 1/2 calorie sugar drink. Hawaiian Punch only has 60 calories per serving (120 for 16 ounce bottle), ONLY ONE OF THOSE a day. Now if I do pick something up, it usually something like Indian food (rice, curry chicken) or Med food (kufta, hummous, pita, rice)... BUT that would be once on a week shift.

Oh... About the walking and doing "something, going somewhere." Cool thing I noticed @ Chestnut ridge when I was back home in July... @ The toboggan chutes there was a fella w/a backpack "stair rstepping" one of the chutes. Counting all his steps, up and down. What an awesome way to get exercise, gr8 view too!

#33 The Poojer

The Poojer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,130 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:35 AM

day 2, according to map my walk total of 1.32 miles, 31 minutes...able to do 5 more sets of steps...my legs are jello but 2 days in a row.

#34 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,965 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

day 2, according to map my walk total of 1.32 miles, 31 minutes...able to do 5 more sets of steps...my legs are jello but 2 days in a row.

I am quite fortunate. When I started out losing weight, I had the privilege of walking in a VERY hilly environment. (I live on a mountain.) It allowed me to build up cardio capacity very quickly. Keep up what you're doing, and slowly add distance by upping your speed. I wouldn't recommend adding time. The critical thing is that you KEEP DOING IT. Develop the discipline to get out of bed each day and do it. (I wake at 4:45 on workout days. It ain't fun, but it gets done.) The more days in a row you do it, the better you'll get at doing it.

Also, keep in mind that diet is 80% of your transformation (at least) 5-6 small meals, protein rich, and lots of fruit/veg.

You'll see results in no time.

Journal everything too.

#35 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,964 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:25 AM

I am quite fortunate. When I started out losing weight, I had the privilege of walking in a VERY hilly environment. (I live on a mountain.) It allowed me to build up cardio capacity very quickly. Keep up what you're doing, and slowly add distance by upping your speed. I wouldn't recommend adding time. The critical thing is that you KEEP DOING IT. Develop the discipline to get out of bed each day and do it. (I wake at 4:45 on workout days. It ain't fun, but it gets done.) The more days in a row you do it, the better you'll get at doing it.

Also, keep in mind that diet is 80% of your transformation (at least) 5-6 small meals, protein rich, and lots of fruit/veg.

You'll see results in no time.

Journal everything too.

So true! Gr8 advice... It's the routine! It's packs on weight or takes it off.

Oh... Depending on you weight, you'll burn calories when you sleep! I think I mentioned that. Obviously, the heavier you weigh, the more you will burn while sleeping... Age, height also play a factor. I guess things gotta keep running in that big body... LoL Get good sleep!!!

Again... Figure out what your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is:

http://www.bmi-calcu...bmr-calculator/

Then go from there... Then when you are a lazy lump and are "horizontal", you can watch your calories. Of course there is the good horizontal, if you know what I mean... But that is a work out... ;-) ;-) ie: You can have that Pepsi after sex... LoL... But, Pooj... Be careful, you gotta be awake to enjoy those calories! ;-) ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 17 August 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#36 Blokestradamus

Blokestradamus

Respected Vice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

I'm 7 weeks in and I've now lost 18lbs, down to 211. Steady progress and I don't feel like I'm starving myself. I've started loading up podcasts to listen to while I work out to help the feeling of monotony (I tried music but the temptation to sing along with Dave Grohl hurts).

I'll be away from home for 3 days next week so I'll need to be careful outside of the routine I'm building up.

The Metabolic Rate calculator is really good and puts me just under 2100. I'm typically quite a bit under that and my cardio workouts burn off about 400-450 a day.

Edited by Blokestradamus, 17 August 2015 - 12:23 PM.

#37 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,965 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

Oh one other thing: I've started focusing less on the scale and more on the tape. I do weekly weigh-ins just to make sure im on the right track, but the real measure has become my monthly waistline measurement.

#38 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,964 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

I'm 7 weeks in and I've now lost 18lbs, down to 211. Steady progress and I don't feel like I'm starving myself. I've started loading up podcasts to listen to while I work out to help the feeling of monotony (I tried music but the temptation to sing along with Dave Grohl hurts).

I'll be away from home for 3 days next week so I'll need to be careful outside of the routine I'm building up.

The Metabolic Rate calculator is really good and puts me just under 2100. I'm typically quite a bit under that and my cardio workouts burn off about 400-450 a day.

I plugged in my current info: 6' 3", 214 (that is what I am holding steady @ now, I dip into 2 zero's when I get exercise), AND HERE'S THE KICKER: Age: 47... Yikes... I get: 2032.12 

I thought age would be more of a kicker... It is really not.  20 years younger, I was @ 2168.12 for this height and weight.  That's why I can't have that extra Coke anymore.  :wallbash:  Height is the big thing I suspect, I am so glad God helped me a little.  Yet, not too much... Big tall guys can run into issues too w/age.  ??

I plugged in my numbers for an age span:

27: 2168.12

37: 2100.12

47: 2032.12

57: 1964.12

67: 1896.12

77: 1828.12

87:  Hopefully NOT dead @ 0.00-- 1760.12

Those #'s are NOT what I expected, I expected a bigger drop off.  I guess that is why they keep food packaging labels @ 2,000 daily calories.

Here is a BMI calculator:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/

I am still over weight slightly by that one.  :wallbash:  That must be the concentration camp one!  I am large frame and use this one:

http://www.healthcen...t-3146-143.html

Ideal @ 206 to 226!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:   But, I have an addictive personality and want 196...  An even 100 pounds since last year.    :lol:  :wallbash:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 17 August 2015 - 05:30 PM.

#39 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,964 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

Oh one other thing: I've started focusing less on the scale and more on the tape. I do weekly weigh-ins just to make sure im on the right track, but the real measure has become my monthly waistline measurement.

YES!  Focusing on the scale can be disheartening and OCD.  BUT, it does help a little.  I don't really record anything, which may not work for others... I do see the doc every 6 months for the last 30 years... I have had high blood pressure since a teen, even when I was 165 pounds!... The doctor has it all there.

I have noticed when I focus on the scale, the weight fluctuates sometimes by 10 pounds.  I may have an inaccurate scale, but it is on w/the doctor's office.  It all depends if I am dehydrated or not.  Stepping on the scale more, you can see the downward trends, how you plateau, dip and gain.  Quite fascinating seeing how your body reacts weight wise to what JJ Watt calls: "Fuel."  :D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 17 August 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#40 The Poojer

The Poojer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,130 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:04 AM

Day 3 in the books. I'm Journaling it using map my walk app. Fruits and vegetables aND chicken breasts are dominating my diet lately