4 replies to this topic

#1 Keukasmallies

Keukasmallies

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:52 PM

Does your cellphone carrier permit calling on your home wifi network.  I Just got my first smartphone (iPhone 4s - a gift from a neighbor) and an AT&T GoPhone plan.  I get great signal strength at our cottage and out and about, but poor strength at home (townhouse).  I read some articles about calling using wifi networks and I guess T-Mobile is big in this at present.

Does anyone here have/use wifi calling through your carrier?  How does it work, are you satisfied?

#2 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,067 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:36 PM

AT&T isn't a big supporter of Wi-Fi calls so don't look for them to adopt it any time soon.

You could try setting up Google Voice.  It would be a separate phone number but you can use it via Wi-Fi, VOIP device, or PC

#3 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:06 PM

I've been using Facebook messenger for calls when I'm out of the US so I don't get hit with roaming charges, it works over wifi, and is pretty good. I also tried the video chat there, but the audio was not syncing with the video and made it very distracting.

#4 blzrul

blzrul

Is it "ready aim fire" or "ready fire aim?"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

AT&T isn't a big supporter of Wi-Fi calls so don't look for them to adopt it any time soon.

You could try setting up Google Voice.  It would be a separate phone number but you can use it via Wi-Fi, VOIP device, or PC

Actually AT&T has wi-fi calling. 

#5 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,067 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:54 PM

Actually AT&T has wi-fi calling. 

Interesting.  They caved :)

But only for iPhones so far :(  Why do they have to discriminate against us Droids?  Oh well, yinz can work out their bugs :P