5 replies to this topic

#1 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,466 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:02 PM

...AND keep it off. No brainer: Stop "over-fueling!" Life-style change!

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=37577068

"I just stopped eating all the time," Goodman, 63, told Peter Travers. "Id have a handful of food and itd go to my mouth. I was just eating all the time. I was just eating alcoholically. In the old days, I would take three months out, lose 60 or 70 pounds, and then reward myself with a 6-pack of bud or whatever and just go back to my old habits. Then this time I wanted to do it slowly, move, exercise. Im getting to the age where I cant afford to sit still anymore. And it gives me the energy to work, cause work is very draining.

John Goodman Reveals the Inspiration Behind His Massive Weight Loss
By ANGELA WILLIAMS
Mar 11, 2016, 11:08 AM ET

WATCH John Goodman on Why Losing Weight This Time is the Real Deal

Grab a friend and hold on tight. John Goodman is set to scare the pants of you this weekend with his new terrifying flick "10 Cloverfield Lane." Goodman plays a psychopath and we'll just leave it right there.

"The script was different, different from anything Id ever read. It had all kinds of new elements to me -- survivalism, preparedness," Goodman told ABC News. "This guy has problems with loneliness. But he wants to be 10 steps ahead of everybody else. Hes got some delusions. Hes got some loose wiring. But in his mind I think he means well."

Shooting on the film wrapped nearly a year and a half ago. So fans will likely notice a big change in Goodman -- he's now about half the size he was when filming started. Some are estimating he's lost more than a hundred pounds. How'd he do it?

ABCNews
John Goodman speaks with Peter Travers at the ABC News Headquarters in New York, March 7, 2016.

And the reason for the change was simple.

I just got tired, sick and tired of looking at myself. Youre shaving in the mirror and you dont want to look at yourself. It gets dangerous, Goodman said.

Goodman compared his overeating to his struggles in the past with alcohol.

I think youre trying to fill a hole that cant be filled unless its filled with goodness, some kind of spirituality, not saying religion," he explained. "But just a belief in something higher than yourself, a purpose. But instead of filling it with booze or cocaine or food, you just acknowledge that its there. You cant fill it. And you go on and live with it.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 11 March 2016 - 12:08 PM.

#2 Buftex

Buftex

Expelled...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,772 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

Glad for Goodman, and glad he has lost the weight...as somebody who has the same struggle, I appreciate it...I wonder though, did he have gastric bypass surgery?  I think he has been kind of coy about this...

#3 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,466 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:31 PM

Glad for Goodman, and glad he has lost the weight...as somebody who has the same struggle, I appreciate it...I wonder though, did he have gastric bypass surgery?  I think he has been kind of coy about this...

I never thought about that?

I have been rallying around his method because I have lost over 100 pounds that way... All the while during the same time span as Goodman. He was not my inspiration and I didn't need bypass surgery.

I am hoping he didn't need the surgery!

Anyway... I am not gonna say it is easy, I am a "wrong food" foodaholic. I get what he is saying on how you tend to reward yourself and then fall into the same habits. So much in our society revolves around food, so hard to avoid the trappings. Sugar and ultra-processed foods are the nails in the coffin!

Good luck Buf!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 11 March 2016 - 11:33 PM.

#4 Tiberius

Tiberius

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

Wow, congrts Ex! That's great. 

#5 G-Daddy

G-Daddy

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:28 AM

Eat less, move more. Easy to say, difficult to accomplish....I love snacks. Strong work Buftex.... congrats!!!

#6 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,466 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:30 PM

Eat less, move more. Easy to say, difficult to accomplish....I love snacks. Strong work Buftex.... congrats!!!

So true! Still holding and keeping it down in the mid-190's for a fairly big frame 6-3 guy. IMO, as a society we have way too much time and availability to ready snacks, like you said, very difficult to accomplish. I would like to add to that... w/out some simple will power and discipline.

Side bar... I was just reading a thing on Ramadan and fasting. I was floored that there can be an obesity problem? Seems a lot will show discipline fasting all day and then gorge themselves after sunset.

Of course everybody has a different body, shape, etc...

Sugar is the enemy. Not things like fat and salt (in moderation).

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 05 June 2016 - 11:35 PM.