SDS

What price for a cobra's egg?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,155 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:54 PM

Current font thinking:

- Google fonts to maintain cross-platform look

- Common fonts. We just want to legible. We don't need to be fancy.

- Larger font size to aid in readability

I like Open Sans:

https://www.google.c...cimen/Open Sans

Other Google fonts:

https://www.google.com/fonts

view fonts in size 16pt for now.

#2 Nanker

Nanker

The Beer Was Cold!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,810 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

I do too. It's open with a lot of white space within the glyphs. It's very readable. I strongly vote for a san serif font for regular postings.

I wonder if my old mentor Professor Archie Provan at RIT helped Google with these like he did Apple in the early days of DTP.

#3 Rubes

Rubes

The Doctor of Football...is IN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:14 PM

I feel like I have to contribute since I am something of a font connoisseur (which is to say, I'm a font snob).

I have had some experience with Google fonts, and I think they do a good job with the selection and implementation of it. I agree that it should be kept simple and legible without fanciness.

Open Sans is a nice font which would work fine. It's a little fat for my tastes, though. If I had to pick a similar sans serif font, I'd look at Catamaran, Hind, Hind Vadodara, or Khula (the latter would be my choice).

#4 ndirish1978

ndirish1978

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:40 PM

I like Open Sans, the fact that it's a bit wider makes it an easier read. Thanks SDS

Edited by ndirish1978, 23 April 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#5 Wacka

Wacka

Makin' the homies say Ho and the girlies wanna scream

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,169 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:07 PM

Please make the font black on a white background.  I have a minor problem with contrast due to my stroke and site that have  off black (slightly gray) fonts with a background that is not white make it very hard for me to clearly read the text.

#6 SDS

SDS

What price for a cobra's egg?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,155 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:07 PM

Please make the font black on a white background.  I have a minor problem with contrast due to my stroke and site that have  off black (slightly gray) fonts with a background that is not white make it very hard for me to clearly read the text.

Other people have the opposite problem. I have been asked to tone down the white because the brightness causes headaches.

#7 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:22 PM

I too prefer a black background. I've seen other forum sites that let you pick a theme. Could have both and allow it to be an option.

#8 Rubes

Rubes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:54 PM

It would be nice to offer the choice. I am like many who can't read sites that have light type on a black background; it hurts my eyes.

#9 Wayne Cubed

Wayne Cubed

TBD's Local Shell Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:06 AM

On a digital device, sans serif typefaces are easier to read.

I have a personal preference for Roboto, it's Googles attempt at Helvetica Neue.

I feel like I have to contribute since I am something of a font connoisseur (which is to say, I'm a font snob).

I have had some experience with Google fonts, and I think they do a good job with the selection and implementation of it. I agree that it should be kept simple and legible without fanciness.

Open Sans is a nice font which would work fine. It's a little fat for my tastes, though. If I had to pick a similar sans serif font, I'd look at Catamaran, Hind, Hind Vadodara, or Khula (the latter would be my choice).

Good to know there's a fellow designer around here. Although, I cringe every time I hear the word font, it's always been type or typefaces to me. Microsoft has made the word font, interchangeable now.

#10 What a Tuel

What a Tuel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

I too prefer a black background. I've seen other forum sites that let you pick a theme. Could have both and allow it to be an option.

Yes, light and dark theme choices would be nice. I prefer darker screens, but can see why people would have a problem with it.

#11 Rubes

Rubes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

Good to know there's a fellow designer around here. Although, I cringe every time I hear the word font, it's always been type or typefaces to me. Microsoft has made the word font, interchangeable now.

Good point!

#12 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,729 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:00 AM

Please no bigger than 16. Bigger =/= better. Large fonts are as annoying as small ones.

#13 jr1

jr1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

Bleeding Cowboys font for life

#14 boater

boater

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:23 PM

Theme choices = good. I like a light background (not necesarily white).

Sometimes when I visit a dark background site, believe it or not: it triggers a migraine. This one triggered a migraine last week.