Photo

Sabres and NHL 2016-17 - Murray and Bylsma Fired!!

• Please log in to reply
3738 replies to this topic

#3721 Tiberius

Tiberius

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,333 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:59 AM

haven't had time to hit the presser, did Pegs say why he fired Murray ?

Lack of discipline, communication and something else. Said he talked to everyone and then made his decision.

#3722 Buffalo Barbarian

Buffalo Barbarian

Kyle Williams 95

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,539 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

Lack of discipline, communication and something else. Said he talked to everyone and then made his decision.

:thumbsup:

#3723 BillsFan4

BillsFan4

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

Rick Dudley, president....Paul Fenton, GM.....Phil Housley, HC

I would absolutely LOVE Rick Dudley as team president or even GM.

Paul Fenton would also be good though. Both Dudley and Fenton would be amazing.

We did try to get Rick Dudley last time though, and he decided to stay in Montreal. They even gave him a raise (and a promotion?) too, because they didn't want him going anywhere.

Maybe things have changed in the past few years, who knows. We can hope, right? He does still have a house here IIRC.

#3724 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,866 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

just back from a run and listened to Travis Yost from Friday with Schoop. Man, that dude is not very high on Risto. I know Risto's advanced numbers not good, but Yost does not see him as a top 2 guy. His opinion is if a GM can just evaluate and get the D right, Sabres forwards will be much better as a result.

It is interesting to look at the possession numbers when Risto had his 3 game break, but I guess I was just thinking that a result of being ridden like a rented mule all year.

Edited by plenzmd1, 23 April 2017 - 10:59 AM.

#3725 JohnC

JohnC

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

just back from a run and listened to Travis Yost from Friday with Schoop. Man, that dude is not very high on Risto. I know Risto's advanced numbers not good, but Yost does not see him as a top 2 guy. His opinion is if a GM can just evaluate and get the D right, Sabres forwards will be much better as a result.

It is interesting to look at the possession numbers when Risto had his 3 game break, but I guess I was just thinking that a result of being ridden like a rented mule all year.

There is a distorting effect when you examining the numbers of a player playing on a good team compared to playing on a bad team. The numbers don't necessarily reflect the talent. A top shelf player's  stats such as Boston Jack's numbers are not as high because so many of his terrific passes aren't converted. 

Risto was not playing with a good unit. He got more ice time than he should have (as you noted). In addition, the forwards were not always responsible in their defensive responsibilities which reflects back to the defensemen. 

Risto is not only our best defenseman on our team he is also one of the better young and upcoming defensemen in the game. Scotty Bowman recently raved about him on WGR.

As far as I am concerned he is one of the few anchor players on this team. This isn't the type of player you consider trading as much as he is the type of player you build around. 

#3726 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,866 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

As far as I am concerned he is one of the few anchor players on this team. This isn't the type of player you consider trading as much as he is the type of player you build around. 

He did float the idea of trading him, and I always think of him and Jack as the only untouchables

#3727 Tiberius

Tiberius

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,333 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

There is a distorting effect when you examining the numbers of a player playing on a good team compared to playing on a bad team. The numbers don't necessarily reflect the talent. A top shelf player's  stats such as Boston Jack's numbers are not as high because so many of his terrific passes aren't converted. 

Risto was not playing with a good unit. He got more ice time than he should have (as you noted). In addition, the forwards were not always responsible in their defensive responsibilities which reflects back to the defensemen. 

Risto is not only our best defenseman on our team he is also one of the better young and upcoming defensemen in the game. Scotty Bowman recently raved about him on WGR.

Watching the Caps last night and seeing how deep their defense is makes me wonder if Jake McCabe could even make it as 5th or 6th man on that unit. I consider him our number 2 but he is well below the Caps 3rd or 4th, imo 

#3728 Alaska Darin

Alaska Darin

Sniping at Retards from the Balcony

• PPP Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,226 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

Watching the Caps last night and seeing how deep their defense is makes me wonder if Jake McCabe could even make it as 5th or 6th man on that unit. I consider him our number 2 but he is well below the Caps 3rd or 4th, imo

1. The youngest defenseman on Washington's roster is 2 years older than McCabe.
2. Washington's core has bèen together nearly half a decade.

#3729 Tiberius

Tiberius

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,333 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

1. The youngest defenseman on Washington's roster is 2 years older than McCabe.
2. Washington's core has bèen together nearly half a decade.

I just wish I had seen the potential in McCabe. I liked him, but I'm thinking his skating and puck skill have not shown much promise. And after him, aside from Guhle, there is nothing. Watching the Caps and other good teams just makes me feel we are farther behind than I thought. 

#3730 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

Mention 17 years and a puppy dies.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,340 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:44 AM

@SabresProspects

Source tells me Kyle Okposo issue was a reaction to medication he was taking when dealing with concussion and is doing much better. #Sabres

to be more clear, I'm told reaction was when treating post-concussion problems.

Okposo expected to return, per source

@john_wawrow

Tho can't confirm @SabresProspects report, told #Sabres Okposo continues to head in right direction. So that continues to be encouraging.

#3731 JohnC

JohnC

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

I like McCabe a lot and it is evident that he has developed into a solid player. However, I don't consider him as a first pairing defenseman, more of a second pairing type of player. On a cup type team I would rate him as a very good third pairing player. 

#3732 bbb

bbb

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,161 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:25 AM

@SabresProspects

Source tells me Kyle Okposo issue was a reaction to medication he was taking when dealing with concussion and is doing much better. #Sabres

to be more clear, I'm told reaction was when treating post-concussion problems.

Okposo expected to return, per source

@john_wawrow

Tho can't confirm @SabresProspects report, told #Sabres Okposo continues to head in right direction. So that continues to be encouraging.

The Buffalo News said a week or so ago that there were all kinds of rumors about Okposo and none of them good.  What were the rumors?

#3733 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,340 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 AM

@A_Kalnins

Viktor Antipin and Buffalo Sabres have talked recently, feeling is that they will indeed get a deal done, most likely after World Champs.

#3734 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,866 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:52 AM

@A_Kalnins

Viktor Antipin and Buffalo Sabres have talked recently, feeling is that they will indeed get a deal done, most likely after World Champs.

Why not now?

#3735 Tiberius

Tiberius

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,333 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Why not now?

No one on our side to talk to him? 

You have to wonder if our chaotic situation has him reconsidering 

#3736 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,340 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Why not now?

No one on our side to talk to him? 

You have to wonder if our chaotic situation has him reconsidering 

I believe he'll be under contract with his KHL team at least until the end of April.

#3737 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,340 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:19 PM

@JSportsnet

Look for names like Botterill,Futa,Conroy,Gilman,Fenton, Dubas...to be in the mix in Buffalo.

#3738 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,340 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Lots of Sabres' GM stuff in here:

@FriedgeHNIC

30 Thoughts --

#3739 ChevyVanMiller

ChevyVanMiller

All-World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts

Posted Today, 07:37 AM

Here's something fun: Go to Google and type in - Sabres GM.