#3701 BillsFan4

BillsFan4

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hmm..listening to Pegs now

1) Discipline.....never thought Murray would be accused of not being disciplined
2) Terry picking next guy at GM for sure
3) Most likely coach too
4) GM going to have experience...
5) Not happy with the organization top to bottom
6) Character...said a couple of times...Murray can't be happy be with that. Football coach having a ton of influence.

BTW, Sully  not a knucklehead as of yet...his question was valid.

I really hope they don't limit the GM search to candidates with experience as a GM. That takes a LOT of good candidates out of the picture immediately IMO. I really hope he meant someone with experience in a president type role or that someone who's been an asst. GM for quite a while under a great GM or something like that. There's a number of really really good asst. GMs waiting for their first shot IMO. I just don't think it's good to limit your search so much right off the bat like that.

I also hope it's not Dean Lombardi. I think he's a bit out of touch with where the current NHL game is/has been headed.

And yeah, those Character comments were a bit damning of Tim Murray, and Dan Bylsma (but I definitely took it as more of a shot at a Tim Murray).

I also said yesterday that Terry Pegula didn't hire Tim Murray, and now we know that he definitely didn't hire Dan Bylsma either (as was speculated by some), and that was a factor. Pegula hired LaFontaine. He never planned on having Tim Murray run the whole organization. Now we will get a better idea of Pegula's vision for the Sabres...

I was also very glad to see him address that "Eichel, coach killer" narrative right off the bat. I was really hoping he'd do that. I hate seeing Eichel taking so much blame for this.

Edited by BillsFan4, 21 April 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#3702 shrader

shrader

Pleased but sticky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

That was a very paint by numbers press conference when it comes to Pegula.  He didn't bring the trainwreck element at all.  This thing was coming for a few days now because he was clearly prepared.  This is probably the first time he feels like an owner to me.  Now let's just hope things progress from here and he finds the right person.

#3703 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

Mention 17 years and a puppy dies.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,070 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

Pegula's Presser In Case You Missed It: https://www.nhl.com/...7090/c-51616103

#3704 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,070 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

@BJWilsonWGR

On Viktor Antipin, @FriedgeHNIC said this morning on WGR that unless he's told otherwise, he still assumes that he'll join the #Sabres

#3705 JohnC

JohnC

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:07 PM

It's the Buffalo News and they do have an agenda against the Pegulas. What's interesting to me is that the reasons don't appear to be confined to the News having limited access. The vibe I'm getting is that "old" money in Buffalo, especially that which is tied into the BN, doesn't hold the Pegulas in the highest regard in certain social circles. The cynic in me believes this is directly related to a certain editorial stance.

Could you elaborate? I have no clue what you are suggesting? 

#3706 Rockpile233

Rockpile233

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

At this point, when I hear the Pegulas will be directly hiring coaches/GM I cringe. I understand they own the teams and it is their right.

I'll hold off on making judgements until someone is hired, but we have seen a bit on the Bills side. We know the Pegulas directly hired Rex and seemed to have directly hired McDermott. Sure you can get a sense of the "intangibles", but to me any conversation coaching related should be rooted in X's and O's and how philosophies fit with the current roster talents. Focusing too much on the person got us a coach in Ryan, who's scheme didn't jive with the already dominant defensive talent leading to regression.

My point here being...what qualifies Terry and Kim to make these sport specific decisions? I understand at some point you need to trust someone, but I have come around to the "czar" philosophy for both teams. I think we need a qualified buffer between the Pegulas and direct ops decisions. The owners seem to desire direct involvement though, which I'm skeptical of.

#3707 shrader

shrader

Pleased but sticky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:56 PM

At this point, when I hear the Pegulas will be directly hiring coaches/GM I cringe. I understand they own the teams and it is their right.

I'll hold off on making judgements until someone is hired, but we have seen a bit on the Bills side. We know the Pegulas directly hired Rex and seemed to have directly hired McDermott. Sure you can get a sense of the "intangibles", but to me any conversation coaching related should be rooted in X's and O's and how philosophies fit with the current roster talents. Focusing too much on the person got us a coach in Ryan, who's scheme didn't jive with the already dominant defensive talent leading to regression.

My point here being...what qualifies Terry and Kim to make these sport specific decisions? I understand at some point you need to trust someone, but I have come around to the "czar" philosophy for both teams. I think we need a qualified buffer between the Pegulas and direct ops decisions. The owners seem to desire direct involvement though, which I'm skeptical of.

Even if they go with that "czar" approach, he's still going to have to be the one that hires that person.  If the GM is going to be the one in that role, then so be it, but he (the GM) then needs to be the one to hire a coach.

#3708 Rockpile233

Rockpile233

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:03 PM

Even if they go with that "czar" approach, he's still going to have to be the one that hires that person.  If the GM is going to be the one in that role, then so be it, but he (the GM) then needs to be the one to hire a coach.

Agreed, they have to eventually trust someone, but I'd argue that the president/czar role is an easier hire to make based off of past accomplishments and gut feelings on someone.

The lower you move down the organizational chart into more direct hockey/football operations, the less qualified I feel they are to make those hires. Yet they seem dead set on making them. The Bills is a clearer example.

#3709 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,761 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

What burns my goat is that Pegula did the whole houseclean with the Sabres but not the Bills.

WHY

#3710 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,070 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

What burns my goat is that Pegula did the whole houseclean with the Sabres but not the Bills.

WHY

Because Murray had total control over personnel and the coach with even worse results while Whaley has never been afforded that kind of power to call all of the shots. 

#3711 bbb

bbb

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

Could you elaborate? I have no clue what you are suggesting? 

I don't know who the old money is that would be tied in with the News.  But, I'm guessing by his editorial comment he is referring to the News being left wing and taking an editorial stance against a presumed right winger who made his money in fracking?

#3712 BillsFan4

BillsFan4

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

@BJWilsonWGR

On Viktor Antipin, @FriedgeHNIC said this morning on WGR that unless he's told otherwise, he still assumes that he'll join the #Sabres

This is good news. Antipin had a fantastic playoff run, was name MVP defenseman. He had a darn good regular season too, by all accounts. He is still pretty young (26?), is a LHD and Buffalo needs blue line help desperately. So I definitely hope this does still get done.

#3713 eball

eball

Omar Sly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,324 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

Because Murray had total control over personnel and the coach with even worse results while Whaley has never been afforded that kind of power to call all of the shots. 

Agreed.  I think the Pegulas understand that Whaley has always been under someone's thumb.  That doesn't excuse his mistakes, but it's a completely different situation.

#3714 JohnC

JohnC

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:28 PM

Agreed.  I think the Pegulas understand that Whaley has always been under someone's thumb.  That doesn't excuse his mistakes, but it's a completely different situation.

When the misguided owner hired Rex he hurt Whaley's ability to fully act on his beliefs. That was a crippling decision for Whaley because Whaley accommodating and executing Rex's out-dated philosophy damaged not only the team's chances but also eroded his authority because of the faltering of the team he was presiding over. 

As I said in another post it's my sense that McDermott has the last say on personnel decisions. That's a shame because this year I believe that Whaley was ready to invest a first round pick on a qb while McDermott is less inclined to do so. 

#3715 Tiberius

Tiberius

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

Pegula's Presser In Case You Missed It: https://www.nhl.com/...7090/c-51616103

I thought he did a good job explaining his process. Talked to everyone and decided changes were needed. Wants a more experienced crew in place to handle a young team.

Thought it was strange how he talked about the young athletes, like he treats them like his kids or something. Could be a part of the problem with players feeling able to go over the coach and gm and talk right to owner. Just a thought

@BJWilsonWGR

. Any real help on defense is a good thing

#3716 JohnC

JohnC

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

I thought he did a good job explaining his process. Talked to everyone and decided changes were needed. Wants a more experienced crew in place to handle a young team.

Thought it was strange how he talked about the young athletes, like he treats them like his kids or something. Could be a part of the problem with players feeling able to go over the coach and gm and talk right to owner. Just a thought
. Any real help on defense is a good thing

Guhle should be ready next year and Casey Nelson should be ready as a third or fourth pairing defenseman. Add in the Russian from the KHL then you start to have a reshaping of that unit. They still need to add in a mainstay caliber defenseman. I'm not sure what is going to happen with Kulikov who was plagued with injuries for most of the season. Terry Murray stated that he wasn't even sure that  Kulikov wants to be here. 

#3717 Buffalo Barbarian

Buffalo Barbarian

Kyle Williams 95

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,767 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

WHY

must feel those bums are doing a good job, don't worry FO wont be around long but I expect McDermott to stick around for a long time, he might even pick the new GM or more accurately talent evaluator and cap guru.

I don't know who the old money is that would be tied in with the News.  But, I'm guessing by his editorial comment he is referring to the News being left wing and taking an editorial stance against a presumed right winger who made his money in fracking?

Right Wing !!!

#3718 bbb

bbb

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

Third line right winger, though!

#3719 Buffalo Barbarian

Buffalo Barbarian

Kyle Williams 95

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,767 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:27 PM

haven't had time to hit the presser, did Pegs say why he fired Murray ?

#3720 bilzfancy

bilzfancy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

Rick Dudley, president....Paul Fenton, GM.....Phil Housley, HC