16 replies to this topic

#1 DC Greg

DC Greg

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:49 PM

Many forums have this feature, and I think it enhances the quality of the posting. First, it cuts down on the huge number of unnecessary "i agree" "good point" and "well said" posts that don't really add anything to the conversation. Makes for a cleaner thread with more substance in posts, and less clutter.

Also helps give credit to good posters and points out trolls easily. 

#2 Augie

Augie

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,970 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:58 PM

Many forums have this feature, and I think it enhances the quality of the posting. First, it cuts down on the huge number of unnecessary "i agree" "good point" and "well said" posts that don't really add anything to the conversation. Makes for a cleaner thread with more substance in posts, and less clutter.

Also helps give credit to good posters and points out trolls easily.

^^^THIS^^^

(Did that help?)

#3 Gugny

Gugny

TACOCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

I agree.

#4 Nervous Guy

Nervous Guy

Me and my Best Buddy

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

:thumbsup:

#5 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,401 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:59 PM

+1

#6 DC Tom

DC Tom

Also sniping at retards from the balcony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,481 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:02 PM

You're an idiot.

#7 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,445 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:59 PM

Belinda

#8 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,179 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:51 PM

No. This is unnecessary. A like or thumbs down button does not generate discussion. A thumbs down without explanation is weak and has no merit for credibility. If someone disagrees than they should make a viable point for open discussion countering the post. A thumbs down would be a weak response for those not able to compose a worthwhile response. It would become the tool of the trolls and those unable to hold an argument. This would dissuade some from posting a counter opinion, also - which, like a popular opinion doesn't need to be oerfectky thought out.

Regardless thumbs down takes away from discussion

And thumbs up... I am 47yrs old next month. I don't need someone else's approval and don't think that it would be anything positive. Instead, help others when they say I agree, or this or yes, you're right... Ask why. Ask what they would like to see further. Etc

#9 Limeaid

Limeaid

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:47 PM

You're an idiot.

We could have a button for that too.

#10 Gugny

Gugny

TACOCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:45 PM

No. This is unnecessary. A like or thumbs down button does not generate discussion. A thumbs down without explanation is weak and has no merit for credibility. If someone disagrees than they should make a viable point for open discussion countering the post. A thumbs down would be a weak response for those not able to compose a worthwhile response. It would become the tool of the trolls and those unable to hold an argument. This would dissuade some from posting a counter opinion, also - which, like a popular opinion doesn't need to be oerfectky thought out.

Regardless thumbs down takes away from discussion

And thumbs up... I am 47yrs old next month. I don't need someone else's approval and don't think that it would be anything positive. Instead, help others when they say I agree, or this or yes, you're right... Ask why. Ask what they would like to see further. Etc

Exactly.

#11 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,179 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:50 PM

Exactly.

I see your point. But don't agree. 50% of those posting post nothing worth including in any type of thought or topic advancement as it is

#12 Gugny

Gugny

TACOCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:57 PM

I see your point. But don't agree. 50% of those posting post nothing worth including in any type of thought or topic advancement as it is

And the other 50% pretend to know what dafuq they're talking about.  So it's really all the same.

#13 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,179 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:47 PM

And the other 50% pretend to know what dafuq they're talking about.  So it's really all the same.

so why change? I don't mean insult to anyone but there is about 10% real football talk here. Then 50% emotional blathering. And the other 50% is mere hyperbolic NNN or PPP

#14 DC Tom

DC Tom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,481 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:09 AM

so why change? I don't mean insult to anyone but there is about 10% real football talk here. Then 50% emotional blathering. And the other 50% is mere hyperbolic NNN or PPP

But on the positive side, we're overachievers.

#15 Nervous Guy

Nervous Guy

Me and my Best Buddy

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:46 AM

I knew you guys gave 110%!  :thumbsup:

#16 DC Tom

DC Tom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,481 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:09 PM

I knew you guys gave 110%!  :thumbsup:

Yeah...mine was better for being more subtle.   :rolleyes:

#17 fridge

fridge

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

I've been on forums that use a similar framework to these message boards with a points system.  It's not like reddit's upvote/downvote, it's just a plus or minus point, and you have to leave a comment to explain yourself when you leave it.  Only the poster can read the comments.

You could not leave feedback on other people until you got 100 upvotes yourself, so it removed the ability for crappy posters to join, troll and just downvote everyone.  I have no idea how you start out using that method though, maybe only giving the points power to the most senior posters to start?