#61 BarleyNY

BarleyNY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:35 AM

1) That's just worry for worry's sake.

2) Young QB improvement is not only far from guaranteed but also by no means linear.  

A step back in 2018 is actually more likely to mean more and possibly WORSE football in the future than anything.

Don't forget that young QB's JP Losman, Trent Edwards and EJ Manuel all had their moments early in their careers and regressed horribly.  

Even if they have an initial introductory success as the league gets a look.....guys like Cardale or Mahomes or Darnold are more likely to go that route.....think Josh Freeman or RG3 etc......... than become a franchise QB.   You gotta' take shots at getting better but there is nothing wrong with trying to develop a QB from something other than a tanked out roster/base.  

Tyrod Taylor is a proven commodity........he produced thru defensive adjustments this year.........with one of the poorest WR corps in the NFL........supported by one of it's worst defenses and arguably the worst RT in football.

He ain't Tom Brady but he's certainly good enough to be the Bills Alex Smith and help create something here that can be built upon.

Sink-or-swim QB flops kill coaches, cause regime changes, scheme changes and mass personnel changes..........that's not the best way to developing a winning organization.

1) It's setting yourself up for major issues.
2) Every rookie QB in this draft class should be brought along slowly. All have issues that need corrected prior to getting in a real NFL game.

EJ is a great example of throwing a talented, but raw player to the wolves way too soon. He had - and continues to have - serious mechanical issues. Had those been worked out before he got on the field then things might have been better.

I agree that Taylor is a proven commodity. He's a low-tier starter/high-end backup in the NFL. If that's what you're dying to have, then he's your guy for $40.5M over the next two seasons.

#62 NastyNateSoldiers

NastyNateSoldiers

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:41 AM

That's a lot of holes for a GM to address in one off-season.  Probably time to start rebuilding, accumulating draft picks, and developing younger players.

Then again, it's Doug Whaley, and trusting him to get most if not all the key decisions correct is folly. This is where the Bills find themselves after 4 off-seasons of his stewardship.

This is the way to go. Oakland Raiders style .

That's a lot of holes for a GM to address in one off-season.  Probably time to start rebuilding, accumulating draft picks, and developing younger players.

Then again, it's Doug Whaley, and trusting him to get most if not all the key decisions correct is folly. This is where the Bills find themselves after 4 off-seasons of his stewardship.

This is the way to go. Oakland Raiders style .

#63 Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

1) Pay Tyrod, we have no other alternative better than him.  He was throwing to Scrubs last year...If he is average, he is tradeable on the 2nd year of the deal

2) Let Gilmore walk. I've seen CB greats come and go on the Bills, from Winfield, Clements, McGee, Greer etc. One thing they all did Better than Gilmore is tackle. I've never seen as fundamentally a poor tackler as him get paid elite corner money. Head down shoulder tackles with no wrap up don't work in the NFL. Kevon Seymour can step up (extend him early Eagles style).

3) We need 2 WR's, One in top 2 rounds of the Draft (I like Mike Williams of Clemson the best, pure hands catcher and attacks the football), and one 2nd tier Free Agent. How do you properly evaluate your QB with street free agent scrubs?

4) Let Rob Woods walk, he disappears for months at a time (I don't event want him back for cheap)

5) Pray Aaron Williams recovers, Defense has gone in the shitter consecutive years as soon as he gets hurt. He's the heart and soul of the Defense IMO.

6) Draft a QB round 1 or 2 depending where the value is at WR or QB when time to pick. I like Trubisky the best of the Bunch. Reminds me of Bledsoe/Rivers

7) Dareus needs a full time life coach/personal trainer/personal chef (similar to Dez Bryant in Dallas). He's paid as the franchise player, time to act like one (you aren't 23 anymore)

8) Lets bring back our bread and butter pressure 4-3 Defense. D-Line played contain no pressure way too much last year. We need to dictate, especially at home with the crowd roaring.

Thoughts?

1. Agree. Re-structure Tyrods contract to adjust the 2017 cap hit and keep him, he is a good stop gap QB with a celing he hasnt reached yet.

2. If McDermy ran a man coverage scheme I would disagree. But he runs a zone coverage scheme and if he moves on from Gilmore its cuz he found someone cheaper who can do the same job or better.

3. We prob draft a WR high in round 3 depending where we go with R1 and R2, they got the Shady connection going so we prob bring in D Jax to replace R Woods.
4. Woods is going to a team that passes the ball more. Its a done deal just let him go.

5. We draft a Safety high in R1 or R2 and pick up a FA S instead of relying on A Will to get healthy.

6. We should trade back in R1 and get an extra 2nd rounder, take Mahomes with a late R1 pick, and use our 2 R2 picks to grab a WR and S. Any variation of that scenario where we leave R1 and R2 with a S and WR im good with. Also grab a FA vet S too.

7.  Life coach or someshit. IDK get him to get his **** together tho.

8. That will happen.

This team was top 10 in scoring the last 2 years. We scored more points than any Buffalo team since 10 years ago.

A full re-build is not what is needed, a few key pieces on offense and a defensive scheme change with a couple DBs LBs and we are good to go

#64 Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

Fans likely wont be happy with it. But that is what it needs way to much cap tied into 5 players and not one a franchise QB just disgusting cap management

You really comfortable with Whaley Re-building this team? They should have cleaned house if that was the case.

#65 Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

Do you think Seymour is starting material?

Not yet. He might become one though. Needs another year or 2. Is a solid CB4 or CB3 rite now.

#66 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Gug, you're #1 in my book.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,608 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

1) Pay Tyrod, we have no other alternative better than him.  He was throwing to Scrubs last year...If he is average, he is tradeable on the 2nd year of the deal

2) Let Gilmore walk. I've seen CB greats come and go on the Bills, from Winfield, Clements, McGee, Greer etc. One thing they all did Better than Gilmore is tackle. I've never seen as fundamentally a poor tackler as him get paid elite corner money. Head down shoulder tackles with no wrap up don't work in the NFL. Kevon Seymour can step up (extend him early Eagles style).

3) We need 2 WR's, One in top 2 rounds of the Draft (I like Mike Williams of Clemson the best, pure hands catcher and attacks the football), and one 2nd tier Free Agent. How do you properly evaluate your QB with street free agent scrubs?

4) Let Rob Woods walk, he disappears for months at a time (I don't event want him back for cheap)

5) Pray Aaron Williams recovers, Defense has gone in the shitter consecutive years as soon as he gets hurt. He's the heart and soul of the Defense IMO.

6) Draft a QB round 1 or 2 depending where the value is at WR or QB when time to pick. I like Trubisky the best of the Bunch. Reminds me of Bledsoe/Rivers

7) Dareus needs a full time life coach/personal trainer/personal chef (similar to Dez Bryant in Dallas). He's paid as the franchise player, time to act like one (you aren't 23 anymore)

8) Lets bring back our bread and butter pressure 4-3 Defense. D-Line played contain no pressure way too much last year. We need to dictate, especially at home with the crowd roaring.

Thoughts?

I'm good with all that except drafting a QB that high. Wait till next year. 

#67 Maury Ballstein

Maury Ballstein

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,366 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

This plan failed at keep Tyrod.