#141 Limeaid

Limeaid

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

You're only now just learning that?

Knew about the stroke and failing of effort on League of Nations due to declining health but not how much of an influence his wife, one he married while in office, had on him.  I read a number of Wilson's papers in college and he was a brilliant man before he got to White House - even comparing him to your level.

#142 Augie

Augie

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

I'm just surprised...I thought it was common knowledge that Edith Wilson was our first female President.  

Sometimes I forget that, as a Clavenesque storehouse of completely useless trivia, I'm not normal.

Don't worry, Cliff. It's not completely useless! It does help to point out how Abby Normal you are.

#143 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

When it's too tough for them it's just right for us

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,722 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

TIL in 1980, Detroit gave Saddam Hussein a key to the city out of recognition of donations he made to local churches.

TIL that Walmart makes over $13 billion in sales from food stamps, but because of its employees' low wages, also likely has the most employees currently receiving food stamps.

CBF

#144 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,722 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

TIL Zach Braff beat up a 12 year old for spraying fake paint on his Porsche as a part of a prank on the show Punked. The scene was edited out.

CBF

#145 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,722 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

A nice one for today....

TIL that early one morning in 2014 a Starbucks drive-thru customer decided to pay for the next customer's order, which ignited an 11 hour long pay-it-forward chain that lasted from 7 a.m. and ended at 6 p.m. later that evening when customer No. 379 declined to participate.

CBF

#146 ShadyBillsFan

ShadyBillsFan

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

Was his name Ralph Wilson?

#147 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,722 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

TIL In 1795, as Composer Joseph Haydn conducted the premiere of his 102nd symphony, the audience pressed forward out of their seats to get a closer look. Moments later, a chandelier crashed to the floor where the seats had emptied, killing no one and giving this piece the name “The Miracle”.

CBF

#148 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,722 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

TIL that in the UK 16-year-olds can’t legally play Call of Duty but they can join the army

CBF

#149 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,722 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

TIL a Nigerian man survived 3 days in an upside down tugboat at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. He was eventually found by body recovery divers.

CBF

#150 DC Tom

DC Tom

Also sniping at retards from the balcony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,736 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

Some sailors on the battleships at Pearl Harbor lasted as long as three weeks in cut-off, underwater compartments.

Unfortunately, they weren't found until three months later.  But they lasted three weeks, in cold, dark, underwater compartments, with no food, licking condensation off the overhead piping, waiting for the air to run out.  Must have been hell on earth.

#151 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,216 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

looking at designing a new implement for my tractor.  i know how clutches work and differentials, etc.  but its always fun seeing this.

#152 RaoulDuke79

RaoulDuke79

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

looking at designing a new implement for my tractor.  i know how clutches work and differentials, etc.  but its always fun seeing this.

I'm fairly mechanical, but gears are their own animal. It's it's own science with ratios, run out, tooth to tooth composite, etc.....i wish I knew more.

#153 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,722 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

Some sailors on the battleships at Pearl Harbor lasted as long as three weeks in cut-off, underwater compartments.

Unfortunately, they weren't found until three months later.  But they lasted three weeks, in cold, dark, underwater compartments, with no food, licking condensation off the overhead piping, waiting for the air to run out.  Must have been hell on earth.

That is truly horrific

CBF

#154 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,722 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

TIL the US imports 11% of its oil from Saudi Arabia and 38% of its oil from Canada

CBF

#155 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,722 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:06 AM

Ok this is pretty bad ass. Especially for us Canadians...

TIL the man that shot the attacker at Canadian Parliament in 2014, Sgt-At-Arms Kevin Vickers, did so by diving through a doorway, flipping around to face upwards, and firing at the shooter while still in mid-air. He is reported to have said "I put him down".

CBF

#156 BillnutinHouston

BillnutinHouston

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,535 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:41 PM

Attached File  200w_d.gif   68.33KB   0 downloads

Edited by BillnutinHouston, Yesterday, 07:42 PM.