Photo

Have any of you gone vegetarian or vegan?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,768 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:17 AM

Curious I'd like to hear your stories

#2 meazza

meazza

ASR 1927

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

I almost ate at a vegan restaurant once.  Was terrifying.

#3 Maury Ballstein

Maury Ballstein

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,231 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

Nope. Grill up some chicken if you're getting fat.

#4 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,266 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

No, because I'm a man.

#5 LeviF91

LeviF91

Uh huh, alright.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

I accidentally consumed a vegetable once. 

#6 Another Fan

Another Fan

UDFA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

Would just seem to challenging to me.  Need to eat some meat to feel sufficiently filled up.

Fish, does that count as being a vegetarian if they eat it?

#7 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,768 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

Reason I asked is as an experiment I swapped out 10 meals a week for animal free meals. I feel pretty good after three weeks, if I'm honest. A lot of digestive problems I've had are pretty much gone in that time.

#8 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,271 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

laughing.gif

going to start wearing heels, too?

coach tuesday is a vegetarian or vegan, shoot him a pm.

Edited by Boyst62, 14 March 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#9 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,729 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

No. But I usually only consume meat a couple times a week. Instead of say a burger, swap it out for a portabella burger.

Meat really is bad. It is why I was so fat and why I was able to drop the pounds by cutting a lot of it out my diet.

Oh... I just had a big al pastor burrito today. :-) Yum!

No need to go crazy, just cut back on it. Like you said JSP, it will help digestive issues too.

Would just seem to challenging to me.  Need to eat some meat to feel sufficiently filled up.

Fish, does that count as being a vegetarian if they eat it?

Substitute tofu. I think it is all habit, mental... The meat everyday thing. Like my father in law, he thinks it like being destitute if you don't have a meat item @ dinner every night. Old habits, food prejudices are hard to beat.

#10 GoBills808

GoBills808

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

funny-picture-ron-swanson-vegetarian-mea

#11 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,768 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

Asparagus, oshinko and avocado sushi tonight

#12 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,271 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

steak tonight.  steak a lot of nights.

i am a man.  i eat meat

#13 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,729 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Asparagus, oshinko and avocado sushi tonight

http://www.businessi...sakiasis-2017-5

"...The medics warned that "owing to changing food habits, anisakiasis is a growing disease in Western countries, which should be suspected in patients with a history of ingestion of raw or uncooked fish."

The report said most cases of anisakiasis had been reported in Japan, where sushi originates..."

That is one way to loose weight, go the tapeworm route.

http://www.chicagotr...0112-story.html

"In bad news for sushi lovers, scientists have confirmed that a tapeworm known to infect salmon from the Asian Pacific is also present in fish from U.S. waters.

The parasite, known as the Japanese broad tapeworm, can grow up to 30 feet long in the human body, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention..."

Yet... Then they say:

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.3171179

So much faith with business doing the "right" thing:

The chances of it happening here in the tristate area are slim to none unless youre getting fish or sushi that wasnt certified in the U.S. Chattoo, who is also a restaurant owner of The Warren in the West Village, explains."

"And at any reputable restaurant, fish is flash frozen solid at a temperature of -31°F or below and stored in a freezer for at least 15 hours to prevent parasites."

There are probably dunderheads out there that claim un-flash frozen fish is the only way to go.

I get it, there is an industry to protect. Just like shark attacks, I know the probabilty of attack is low... BUT there is ONE sure way NOT to get a parasite or eaten by a shark. Don't eat the raw crap or swim & play were sharks live. Is it necessary? There is other less gratuitous activities. Activities where the risk is actually necessary.

#14 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,768 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

http://www.businessi...sakiasis-2017-5

"...The medics warned that "owing to changing food habits, anisakiasis is a growing disease in Western countries, which should be suspected in patients with a history of ingestion of raw or uncooked fish."

The report said most cases of anisakiasis had been reported in Japan, where sushi originates..."

That is one way to loose weight, go the tapeworm route.

http://www.chicagotr...0112-story.html

"In bad news for sushi lovers, scientists have confirmed that a tapeworm known to infect salmon from the Asian Pacific is also present in fish from U.S. waters.

The parasite, known as the Japanese broad tapeworm, can grow up to 30 feet long in the human body, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention..."

Yet... Then they say:

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.3171179

So much faith with business doing the "right" thing:

The chances of it happening here in the tristate area are slim to none unless youre getting fish or sushi that wasnt certified in the U.S. Chattoo, who is also a restaurant owner of The Warren in the West Village, explains."

"And at any reputable restaurant, fish is flash frozen solid at a temperature of -31°F or below and stored in a freezer for at least 15 hours to prevent parasites."

There are probably dunderheads out there that claim un-flash frozen fish is the only way to go.

I get it, there is an industry to protect. Just like shark attacks, I know the probabilty of attack is low... BUT there is ONE sure way NOT to get a parasite or eaten by a shark. Don't eat the raw crap or swim & play were sharks live. Is it necessary? There is other less gratuitous activities. Activities where the risk is actually necessary.

There's no fish in that sushi, it's vegetables.

:P

#15 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,729 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:13 PM

There's no fish in that sushi, it's vegetables.

:P

Oh... LoL... I should have known. My 14 year daughter is vegetarian, I gotta live with every meat substitute concoction on the planet. I just picked up almond milk. Wonder what that is doing for the environment, at least Cali is under water of Biblical proportions now!

It keeps me healthy though... Well, I hope. My 50s will be an SOB if this runs off the rails! ;-)

#16 blzrul

blzrul

Is it "ready aim fire" or "ready fire aim?"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:51 AM

Too much work.  But often we eat meatless. And rarely red meat - always fish or chicken.