See my overall qb rankings below... based on watching 3 games for each qb (click to maximize)
I really like Webb. He's not perfect.. but he has several "best in class" traits to my eye
BEST IN CLASS
- ARM STRENGTH - his throwing motion literally looks like he is throwing darts. He has the strength to drive the ball to any part of the field
- AGGRESSIVENESS - he is not afraid to put the ball into tight windows. He also consistently attacks the intermediate areas without fear. According to PFF when measuring Deep Passing.. Webb had the highest number of attempts, yards and TDs when throwing deep. His completion percentage on deep balls was low.. however.. he had 18 TDS and 5 TDs when attempting to throw deep.. which tells me that he is taking smart chances. It also tells me he looks to go deep first rather than to check down.
- ACCURACY - when he is on the same page and trusts his receivers he does a fantastic job of leading his guy or putting it in a spot where only WR can get it.
- HEIGHT/VISION - his height allows him to see over the line to any part of the field
- DEEP BALL -- He's not afraid to take shots deep and I saw several nice examples of well thrown deep sideline balls.
- TOUGHNESS - I saw several examples of him hanging in the pocket an extra half second, delivering the throw and taking the big hit.
- UNDER CENTER EXPERIENCE - He was out of shotgun almost 100% of the time .. so adjusting to a pro style under center offense and 3,5,7 step drops will likely take a while. His footwork wasn't too bad for a shotgun guy.. but he did get sloppy sometimes. It is also unknown if he can make NFL reads as he played in air raid offense. However.. I have read that he comes across as very smart and is dedicated to football.. so it seems he has the capacity and desire to learn.
- DECISION MAKING - He had an up an down season. The 2 games I watched at the beginning of the year he was decisive and fantastic. The game towards the end of the year I watched he was more hesitant and threw some bad picks and errant throws.
- MOBILITY - for a guy of his height he has functional mobility. He's not a statue .. but he will never be a real running threat that the D will have to account for
- The 2 guys that I think have the highest ceilings are Kizer and Webb. Out of the two... Webb is probably farthest behind as far as being prepared to start year 1.
- That being said.. I think he is worth taking in Round 2 for a team that has an established starter where he can sit and learn for a year
FIT FOR BUFFALO?
- If Matt Schaub (who was not a running qb) could run Kubiak's (Dennison"s) offense effectively.. certainly Davis Webb could learn to do it.
- As the Bills have TT in place as a Vet Starter.. they would be a perfect place for Webb to come in and sit and learn.
- He would be great competition for Cardale (who I also like). If he ends up beating out Cardale for the #2 job then so be it.
- What I don't want is a vet backup QB this year... we roll with TT and if he gets hurt and we don't make playoffs .. oh well.. I'd rather see the QB of the future get reps than a vet backup QB come in to try to get us to squeeze into playoffs
Edited by Bocephuz, 07 April 2017 - 10:17 AM.