Doc

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,917 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

[quote name="BarleyNY" post="4336277" timestamp="1492742079"]
http://www.nfl.com/d...B&type=position

There's the list of drafted RBs. Other than Jay Ajayi I really don't see any that fit your criteria. Care to point out all the others?

I like Jordan Howard, Chris Thompson, Karlos Williams (before blowing up), Ajayi, and Paul Perkins all better than Gillislee. I also don't think you write off a handful of other the just yet. Gillislee is a nice rb but he doesn't have stand out ability. IMO

Howard is a stud (I wonder if the Bills would have taken him if he had last until their 5th round pick?).  Ajayi had a good year in his 2nd season after getting called-out.  Both have proven themselves as starters. 

However I wouldn't take Thompson or Perkins over MG at this time.  MG was clearly superior to both and averaging almost 5.7 YPC (and again 6 YPC if you remove his 6 sub-3 yard TDs) on over 40 carries is not easy to do, and he's done it two years in a row.

#1582 thebandit27

thebandit27

Armchair Dynasty Architect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,712 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

Show me facts to support your conjecture.

Just FYI...if Simon is saying it, you can take it to the bank that that's what the team is doing.

He's not speculating.

#1583 papazoid

papazoid

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,613 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

oops, i think i took a wrong turn....

i'm looking for the mike gillislee topic........laffin

#1584 oldmanfan

oldmanfan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:32 AM

Just FYI...if Simon is saying it, you can take it to the bank that that's what the team is doing.

He's not speculating.

OK.  Getting used to the folks here still.  As for Gillislee, if they wind up matching a lot of folks will look pretty silly.

#1585 Coach Tuesday

Coach Tuesday

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,256 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

He's not speculating.

I missed it - did someone say they're matching?

#1586 Simon

Simon

Dirty Player

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,255 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

I missed it - did someone say they're matching?

No, I was foolishly bringing up old business in a new business thread.

My bad.....

#1587 thebandit27

thebandit27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,712 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:41 AM

OK.  Getting used to the folks here still.  As for Gillislee, if they wind up matching a lot of folks will look pretty silly.

No worries--it can be quite difficult to tell when someone is stating pure opinion versus credible information.

#1588 Houston's #1 Bills Fan

Houston's #1 Bills Fan

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

OK, I guess I'm confused and didn't have the spare time to read ALL 80 PAGES. Do the Bills still have the option of matching the offer? Is there a deadline? Or is this a done deal?

For the record, I'm a fan of TD Mike. He provided a hammer to McCoy's finesse runs. That YPC is not a joke; he earned it and I think the Bills a foolish to let him go. I keep hearing that RB's are a dime-a-dozen. Well, all I know is that this guy got it done when called on. J.Williams hasn't been as explosive or consistent. This guy is worth the money.

Edited by Houston's #1 Bills Fan, 21 April 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#1589 #BADOL

#BADOL

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

As for 2000 yds from scrimmage... Shady was less than 400 yds away... Not 800. Not getting in on any other aspect of this argument but yeah he was over 1600 yds from scrimmage.

LAST year Shady was 400 yards away....2016.

That's still far short.....but his prediction was 2,000 yards for the 2015 season.

So as I said....Deranged Greggo was 800+ yards off the mark.

It was an ignorant, analysis-free prediction......Shady had 300 carries BUT was also coming off leading the NFL in fewest yards per touch in 2014.......and the only season in his career when Shady reached 2,000 yards was the aberration year of 2013 when he had nearly 400 touches in the Chip Kelly offense that was running like 90 offensive play per game and caught the league totally off guard(see Nick Foles season).

It's possible that 2013 year was his "break" year.......that season where a back gets too many touches and thereafter is never as productive again with a similar workload.

The Bills got more out of Shady by using him less last season..........he's not even close to the $ value per carry they thought they were getting.......but with less carries in 2016 in MORE healthy/available games than 2015 and the subsequently better per-play production.....is an indicator of what I am talking about.

Factoring in another year closer for McCoy to the RB cliff........I would suggest that EVEN LESS carries this year would be a good idea if the plan is to keep getting high per-play production for another year.

And that being the case.........Mike Gillislee would probably be even more valuable this year.  

Example:  The Bills were for the most part very efficient on the ground in 2016.......but replace Shady's carries in Miami (when he tried to play thru a recurrence of his hammy injury) with MG and MG is a 115 carry back.......and Shady is just a 190 carry back.......and both of their numbers are better....and the Bills probably WIN that crucial game.

Times have changed in the NFL.....it doesn't make sense to just keep pounding your veteran lead back hoping he ends up with decent numbers on a high volume of carries.    

When you are bringing a knife to a gun-fight by trying to outscore teams with your ground game against their pass game........you need to be as efficient with that blade as possible.

#1590 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,542 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

OK, I guess I'm confused and didn't have the spare time to read ALL 80 PAGES. Do the Bills still have the option of matching the offer? Is there a deadline? Or is this a done deal?

For the record, I'm a fan of TD Mike. He provided a hammer to McCoy's finesse runs. That YPC is not a joke; he earned it and I think the Bills a foolish to let him go. I keep hearing that RB's are a dime-a-dozen. Well, all I know is that this guy got it done when called on. J.Williams hasn't been as explosive or consistent. This guy is worth the money.

They haven't decided yet. The deadline is Monday. From McD's presser yesterday, he said they would decide "in a few days"

#1591 thebandit27

thebandit27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,712 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

Yes they can still match; no they haven't made a decision yet.

#1592 Doc

Doc

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,917 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

I'm betting they match it.  Again if it had been any other team, I wouldn't put money on it.  But since it's the Cheaters, they will.

#1593 mjt328

mjt328

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

I think most of the criticism is how the Bills handled the situation to begin with.

They could have made him untouchable for a higher tender, which only amounted to about $900,000 more in salary. 

Now they will need to pay him an additional $2.2 million to match the offer sheet, or let him walk to our biggest division rival.

It's really a lose-lose situation now.  Letting Gillislee walk for only a 5th Round Pick makes us look dumb, because it leaves us with no RB depth on the "run-heaviest" team in the NFL.  Matching the offer makes us look dumb, because it costs us an extra $1.5 million in cap space just because our front office gave him a lower tender.

The only way the Bills walk out of this situation looking smart, is if they replace Gillislee's production with a cheaper RB or if they draft a stud with the 5th Rounder they get from New England.

#1594 oldmanfan

oldmanfan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

I think most of the criticism is how the Bills handled the situation to begin with.

They could have made him untouchable for a higher tender, which only amounted to about $900,000 more in salary. 
Now they will need to pay him an additional $2.2 million to match the offer sheet, or let him walk to our biggest division rival.

It's really a lose-lose situation now.  Letting Gillislee walk for only a 5th Round Pick makes us look dumb, because it leaves us with no RB depth on the "run-heaviest" team in the NFL.  Matching the offer makes us look dumb, because it costs us an extra $1.5 million in cap space just because our front office gave him a lower tender.

The only way the Bills walk out of this situation looking smart, is if they replace Gillislee's production with a cheaper RB or if they draft a stud with the 5th Rounder they get from New England.

They do have depth with Williams and Tolbert. People keep saying that but it's not correct. And they don't necessarily have to draft a RB with the extra pick.

#1595 Bill_with_it

Bill_with_it

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

They do have depth with Williams and Tolbert. People keep saying that but it's not correct. And they don't necessarily have to draft a RB with the extra pick.

they are quite likely subject of losing williams for a few games this year if not 4 for his dwi last year.

#1596 thebandit27

thebandit27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,712 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

I think the larger issue is that you'd ideally like to have another speed/breakaway back that can take carries in the event that Shady gets hurt so that you don't have to re-invent the offense.

Not that you can't find those guys in the draft; you can.  I just think the idea that the team has allowed another hole to open that was entirely preventable is putting people out.

#1597 #BADOL

#BADOL

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

Very succinctly put. :thumbsup:

oldmanfan will fit in good with the fan blamers/shamers here though.........they are always looking for an angle to fluff the organization.

Pegula fires the people he hired.......praise Pegula.

Sometimes you just have to admit that the teams decisions are bad and that it's reasonable to expect scorn from it.

Sticks and stones.......nobody is being executed for making bad football decisions.   That only happens in soccer.

Edited by #BADOL, 21 April 2017 - 09:30 AM.

#1598 Doc

Doc

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,917 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

It's only a lose if they let him walk because it will be hard to replace his production, much less with a late fifth round rookie. And they'll be losing him to a division rival. They can fit him under the cap.

#1599 hondo in seattle

hondo in seattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

They didn't see a hot RB market.  They gambled and lost.  It happens.  

OBD has screwed up a lot of things over the years.  But I don't think the mishandling of TD Mike ranks as a major mistake.  

Edited by hondo in seattle, 21 April 2017 - 09:30 AM.

#1600 oldmanfan

oldmanfan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Some of their decisions as a team and organization have been bad.  Rex for instance.  Whaley is not immune to criticism.  If Sammy doesn't heal up that pick will be a mistake.  Taking Kouandijo is round 2 was a mistake.  Keeping EJ around too long was a mistake.

Letting the market set a price for a backup RB, and then deciding whether to match or not, is generally how one does business in the NFL however.  The other restricted FA this season, Groy, they did the same thing, matched, and now they have a guy as depth that played well last year.  But no one mentions that because it was a good move.

they are quite likely subject of losing williams for a few games this year if not 4 for his dwi last year.

We'll see.  Picking up another speedy RB is fairly easy, although I will say yet again I would like them to keep MG.