504 replies to this topic

#501 Azalin

Azalin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

The previous three presidents had a shaky relationship with Netanyahu.  I remember Bill Clinton famously saying after meeting him after his first election win, "Who's the f##kin Superpower here."  The Trump Netanyahu relationship will be interesting to watch.

I remember Netanyahu having a pretty solid ally with GW, and I don't recall much about his relationship with Clinton. My point wasn't so much about if our leaders get/got along with Israel, it was about Obama's open and well-reported support (including both cash and campaign operatives) for Netanyahu's opponent in the last election.

#502 Deranged Rhino

Deranged Rhino

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,667 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

On a bit of a separate note, if it's illegal for a foreign power to attempt to influence our election, how does it square with the Obama administration actively engaged in aiding the campaign against Netantahu?

44 also interfered in the last French election (per wikileaks) and the USIC has interfered with dozens of other elections throughout the later half of the 20th century...

There's a reason why "terrorism" doesn't have a unified definition between agencies of the federal government: if they defined it properly, or honestly, the USIC would be subjecting themselves to prosecution for promoting "terrorism" themselves in many, many cases.   

It's just like with the mass surveillance issue we've debated on here for the past few years... Americans do not care if we spy on other nations (allies or foes) or interfere with their elections (allies or foes again)... but we have a big problem when the same treatment is given back to us.

:beer:

The previous three presidents had a shaky relationship with Netanyahu.  I remember Bill Clinton famously saying after meeting him after his first election win, "Who's the f##kin Superpower here."  The Trump Netanyahu relationship will be interesting to watch.

Based on the most recent $100b arms sale to ISIS... I mean the out house of Saud... I'd say their relationship is going to be just fine. 

#503 Doc Brown

Doc Brown

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:25 AM

I remember Netanyahu having a pretty solid ally with GW, and I don't recall much about his relationship with Clinton. My point wasn't so much about if our leaders get/got along with Israel, it was about Obama's open and well-reported support (including both cash and campaign operatives) for Netanyahu's opponent in the last election.

Netanyahu has a history of slyly cozening up to Republican politicians and what infuriated Clinton was attending an event with Jerry Falwell (a Clinton enemy at the time).  Clinton kept his contempt more private than Obama.  As far as Bush, it was more complicated as Netanyahu wasn't PM at the time.  Bush supported Sharon and Netanyahu was his political enemy who didn't believe Israel should withdraw troops out of Gaza in 2004 as part of Bush's "road map to peace."

#504 Nanker

Nanker

The Beer Was Cold!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,801 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

I'll make it simple for you Doc. It's just racism. Southerners hate Jews and Blacks hate Jews. [/paintedwiththebroadbrushstrokelikethesimplemindedprogsdoallthetime]

#505 B-Man

B-Man

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,674 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

mrz051917-color_orig.jpg.......... :lol: