Call me an optimist, BUT:
- we have no idea how our QB will play in a new offense, asking him to do new things (OR who will even be our QB), so we dont know if we will have "zero passing offense"
- we have no idea if our LBs can play in McD scheme...many think Ragland/Preston cannot do it, others seem to think they will be fine (if you follow Rob Quinn on twitter, he posted an excellent article last week that shows just how great Preston Brown was as a coverage LB - were talking top 5 in the league - and that he may be a good fit in McD scheme...and would also make sense why we didnt address LB early in the draft or in FA)
- like our safeties better than last year, and I personally see CBs in this scheme as "get guys who can do it" which we seem to have done. Yea sucks to lose a talent like Gilmore, but why do you need a corvette on a 40 MPH road? Yea Gilmore could have had success in this D, but so can a lesser DB (and McD has always gotten the most out of under the radar DBs - Norman anyone?)
- Shady is Shady, our o-line is as good or better than last year. Who will step up behind Shady? Someone will....first it was Karlos, then it was Gilly, now it will be....next man up. Its the system.
- WR depth is an issue no doubt about that...a lot will depend on health and productivity of WRs
We do not know the answer to any of the questions above...could we go 5-11? Absolutely. Could we go 11-5? Absolutely....if you choose to think thats not possible, then I am sorry for you as a fan. I choose to be optimistic until theres no other option (usually november 1st as a Bills fan).
HEY EY EY EYYYYY!!!!