107 replies to this topic

#61 frostbitmic

frostbitmic

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

What a shame, Cornell was one of the great vocalists in rock history.

He'll be missed ... RIP Chris

#62 shrader

shrader

Pleased but sticky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

I would hope they would cancel OR offer full refunds and continue the tour with Vedder or another well known singer from the Soundgarden era.

Vedder is starting a european tour next week.  He may be gone already.  Anyway, I don't think there's anyway the band or Vedder would be in a good enough place right now to do any shows.  It has to be hitting very hard.  I think those first couple european shows for Vedder may be in jeopardy at this point.

I think this will be it for them, but would expect a show or two with vedder as a possibility-- nothing sustained though, just a farewell (both to him, and for the others to get closure with their time in the band)

You'll get all of Pearl Jam for anything they do decide to do.  The bands have always been so closely associated.  Pearl Jam never exists without Soundgarden.  Hell, they've had Matt Cameron drumming for almost 20 years now.  Damn, has it been that long since the original Soundgarden break up?

#63 jr1

jr1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

RIP. Big fan in high school

#64 RaoulDuke79

RaoulDuke79

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

Terrible.  Staley and Cornell were the best voices of the grunge era, more than Cobain and Vedder IMO.  I just hope it was natural causes. 

I'm right there with ya in that line of thinking. Sad day today. I must've listened to Badmotorfinger a thousand times.

"Doesn't Remind Me" by Audio Slave is also one of my favorites. That song saw me through some tough times.

Edited by RaoulDuke79, 18 May 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#65 26CornerBlitz

26CornerBlitz

Show me the baby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,846 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

@BroBible

Medical Examiner Says Soundgarden Singer Chris Cornell Committed Suicide By Hanging http://brobible.it/2q0KLI9

DAIJ2YZWsAARkDW.jpg

#66 ChevyVanMiller

ChevyVanMiller

All-World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

Really nice memorial by Jeff Miers of the Buffalo News.

http://buffalonews.c...nell-1964-2017/

#67 TakeYouToTasker

TakeYouToTasker

The smartest man in the room.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Self titled Audioslave album is one of my favorites of all time.  What an incredible shame.  RIP

#68 dhg

dhg

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:48 PM

Always liked this one:

#69 RaoulDuke79

RaoulDuke79

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

@BroBible

Medical Examiner Says Soundgarden Singer Chris Cornell Committed Suicide By Hanging http://brobible.it/2q0KLI9

DAIJ2YZWsAARkDW.jpg

Man...this sucks. Such a talent. Mental illness is a bitch. Damnit it this makes me mad. Hopefully he's found the peace he was seeking.

Edited by RaoulDuke79, 18 May 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#70 shrader

shrader

Pleased but sticky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

Always liked this one:

I'll go this way:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=TksqEIl1uxU

#71 Pete

Pete

circle the wagons friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:52 PM

excellent song from one of the greatest soundtracks ever.  Singles really captured early 1990's Seattle music scene

#72 #34fan

#34fan

"All Men Betray."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:13 PM

RIP Chris.... Such talent.... When SG came out, they were different from everything else... Awesome band, led by awesome lead vocals.. "Be yourself is all that you can do...."

#73 billsfanmiami(oh)

billsfanmiami(oh)

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:02 PM

As long as I've been on this forum I'm still an idiot and don't know how to post a video. Someone tell me how and I'll post one of Corey Taylor from Stone Sour/ Slipknot doing outshined as a tribute tonight at the ROTR kickoff. I'm anticipating some cool stuff happening from other acts. Really sucks, he was a legend.

#74 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,744 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

As long as I've been on this forum I'm still an idiot and don't know how to post a video. Someone tell me how and I'll post one of Corey Taylor from Stone Sour/ Slipknot doing outshined as a tribute tonight at the ROTR kickoff. I'm anticipating some cool stuff happening from other acts. Really sucks, he was a legend.

http://forums.twobil...how-to-by-peter

Edited by Boyst62, 18 May 2017 - 10:26 PM.

#75 billsfanmiami(oh)

billsfanmiami(oh)

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:41 AM

http://forums.twobil...how-to-by-peter

Thanks

#76 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,018 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

It's amazing to me that someone with looks, money, talent and fame could throw it all away by killing themselves. How miserable can life really be when you're Chris Cornell? Such a shame.

#77 LeGOATski

LeGOATski

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:17 AM

It's amazing to me that someone with looks, money, talent and fame could throw it all away by killing themselves. How miserable can life really be when you're Chris Cornell? Such a shame.

Along with having kids that are still so young. I imagine he must've thought about them before doing it and that still gave him nothing to look forward to? 

#78 Pete

Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:37 AM

Depression hits all social classes.  I read that a poor person is less likely to commit suicide then a wealthy.  If you are depressed, then achieve "success"-nice house, nice car, trophy wife- and all those thinks don't bring you happiness, some become more despondent 

#79 Mark80

Mark80

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

What is really amazing is how people are still so ignorant to what depression does to you (or addiction for that matter).  It doesn't care how much money you have, how good looking you are, how "lucky" you seemingly are.  How miserable can life really be?  Well, imagine living every single moment with your brain telling you that you are not good enough, that the world is better off without you, that your family is better off without you.  That you are just a burden on everybody around you.  Every single day your mind is saying that to you, over and over and over again.  Imagine it being so difficult to get out of bed that you would spend days in a row not getting up (think of how hard it is to get up with just 2 or 3 hours of sleep, now imagine you have that feeling no matter how much sleep you get).  Imagine that when you do go out you have to pretend and act like everything is OK to people, put on that good face; but inside, you are tormented non-stop..

Luckily, I don't know these feeling, but unfortunately there are people very close to me that do.  Every day is a struggle.  Every minute is a struggle for the severely depressed.  People who don't know, simply can't understand how bad it can be. 

His wife is saying that it may have been caused by a prescription drug with a "may cause suicidal thoughts" side effect as opposed to his depression or addiction acting up. 

Edited by Mark80, 19 May 2017 - 08:47 AM.

#80 Pete

Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

judge for yourself.  To me it appears Cornell is !@#$ed up.  The report is he hung himself with a carabiner and exercise band