21 replies to this topic

#21 Chef Jim

Chef Jim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,587 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

I wouldn't call John Mayer a god, but he is an excellent guitarist. His own music is a bit too "pop" for me, but I was really impressed with him when I saw D&C. He and Oteil were playing off of each other all through the show. Their chemistry with the rest of the band was great. And he's not playing Jerry's riffs - Bob Weir specifically said that they didn't want an imitator; they wanted someone who knew how to jam. That's why they picked Trey Anastasio for Fare Thee Well, and why they went with Mayer for D&C.

Jerry had the most unique sound of any guitarist.  Mayer may not be playing Jerry's "riffs" per se but he sure is copying his sound. 

#22 NoSaint

NoSaint

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,238 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

Someone posted on FB that John Mayer was God with regard to his work with D&C.  My reply was if he was really a God re his musical ability wouldn't he be raking in the dough playing his own music vs playing Jerry's riffs? 

Better lineup.  Favorite is Gov't Mule with Galactic.  

JM is doing an arena tour for his new album with a set solo, with his trio, and full band. Sooooo... he is raking in dough playing his own id say