#1 nodnarb

nodnarb

It's different this time. No, really.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:49 AM

so I can't find that thread...

does anyone have any experiences/tips/advice about it?

looking for a 22-inch or bigger flat panel. It doesn't need to be HDtv. In fact, I'd prefer that it isn't, to shave off some scoots.

#2 DeeRay

DeeRay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:42 AM

best bang for your buck is an lcd projector.... you can go from 22" to 10 feet if you want. Just go for one that has a a contrast ratio and lumes both > than 1700 or it won't look crisp in a well lit room. Outstanding LCD projectors can be had for $1800 and they look fabulous even on an off white wall. If you purchase a screen specifically for the wall, the picture is even better.

#3 stuckincincy

stuckincincy

Get away, Jordan,

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,375 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:50 AM

so I can't find that thread...

does anyone have any experiences/tips/advice about it?

looking for a 22-inch or bigger flat panel. It doesn't need to be HDtv. In fact, I'd prefer that it isn't, to shave off some scoots.

View Post

I've heard that the LCD's can suffer from pixel "failure" (a bright spot IIRC), and that plasma units have been criticized for image burn-in, by the ever-present "bugs" and "crawlers".

Given the $$$ of the units, one of those goofy extended contracts might be a consideration.

Just comments here - I am no expert.

#4 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:02 AM

I've heard that the LCD's can suffer from pixel "failure" (a bright spot IIRC), and that plasma units have been criticized for image burn-in, by the ever-present "bugs" and "crawlers".

Given the $$$ of the units, one of those goofy extended contracts might be a consideration.

Just comments here - I am no expert.

View Post

Generally the pixel is DOA or it's good forever. Think of the monitor on your laptop for example. Also, if it's just one pr two bad pixels, you probably won't even notice it.

I will second teh projector idea though. I watched the Superbowl in my dining room - 100" screen projected on a wall (still finishing my basement theater.......). The picture was *stunning* Even the guy plowing our street stopped in front of our house for a good 5-10 minutes watching the game through our window! (until I got up and looked out the window, then he drove away. Quite funny).

CW

#5 Dan Gross

Dan Gross

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:29 AM

My obligatory link to the TV comparisons: http://www.digiupdat...HD_Display.html

The bottom line is not to buy the "cheapest" version of any of them. Cheap LCD's will have bad refresh rates (which means the players will quite literally "streaK" across the screen). Cheap Plasmas will have short lifetimes (which means you can expect to replace them sooner).

The front projections are not covered here. Obligatory link to the AVS forums as well: http://www.avsforum.com/
Rear projection forum here: http://www.avsforum.....php?forumid=63

BTW, look for the pinned TV Talk like in the consumer board, as soon as I can get around to it. I'll try to link to discussions like these when they come up, so they don't get lost.

#6 Dan Gross

Dan Gross

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:37 AM

This topic is intended to cover the TV discussions that happen here on Two Bills Drive.

Helpful links to other forums/sources of info appreciated here.

A great forum for TV talk is at AVS Forum, in the Rear Projection TV forum. Other great forums are also available.

A decent overview of the different TV technologies and their associated pros and cons can be found here. Other articles that cover the technologies can be found off the home page.

#7 GG

GG

Exit 151

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,710 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:42 AM

Any true flat panels will cost an arm & leg. But if you can live with the 8" - 12" depths - LCD or DLP rear projections will give you best bang for footprint buck.

#8 Justice

Justice

It's Our Time!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,293 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:18 PM

projection. I'm flexible. The only thing I care about is the picture quality and price. If you were willing to spend up to $3000.00 bucks for a TV which one will you get?

#9 JimBob2232

JimBob2232

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

DLP. Plazma is the best but $$$.

#10 sweet baboo

sweet baboo

Live Free or Die

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:59 PM

32 inch Widescreen HDTV Sony WEGA...that stevestojan is beautiful
it's a CRT still, but you're going to get higher quality and reliability compared to the rest of the options you presented

#11 Dan Gross

Dan Gross

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:47 PM

I'd go for DLP or (what I went for) Mitsu Silver Plus Series standard rear projection. If you dig back, there are some threads on Consumer Forum about this...Of course you didn't list the size of the room/space for the TV...

http://www.avsforum.com/ if you really want to research it.

#12 udonkey

udonkey

Back in Cincy after 3 years in FL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:18 AM

I can get you a very competitive price on the Dell 42" HD plasma.

PM me if you're interested.

#13 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:06 AM

Don't underestimate a good front projector (either DLP or LCD). I have an LCD projector (Panasonic AE700) and it looks AWESOME; gives you a MUCH larger screen than you'll get with a typical TV.

CW

#14 BuffaloDynamite

BuffaloDynamite

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:17 AM

DLP's are nice but you have to replace the bulb every year. At around $200 to $300 a pop. That's like buying a regular tv every year. I'd like to make a purchase in the next few years but it is very confusing.

#15 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,999 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:23 AM

DLP's are nice but you have to replace the bulb every year.  At around $200 to $300 a pop.  That's like buying a regular tv every year.  I'd like to make a purchase in the next few years but it is very confusing.

View Post

Samsung has the bulb to be replaced at 8000 hrs. Thats a good bit of time even if you are a tv freak and watch 8 hrs a day. Over 3 yrs. Bonus is it will look like a new TV when you replace the bulb.

Love my sammy 4r hln dlp, paid $3300almost 20 months ago. The new ones,the HLPs, with higher contrast and a better color wheel, I think are only around 2200 now.

#16 Dan Gross

Dan Gross

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:26 AM

DLP's are nice but you have to replace the bulb every year.  At around $200 to $300 a pop.  That's like buying a regular tv every year.  I'd like to make a purchase in the next few years but it is very confusing.

View Post

Every year? I know the Samsung bulbs are rated for 8000 hours which I guess would mean replacing every year if you left the TV on 24/7....FYI, the bulbs in rear-projection LCD TV's are rated for the same length of life, and my understanding is that, while the cost of the replacement bulb is about the same as DLP, it is not as easy to replace....Regardless, I can't imagine how the bulbs would not be covered under an extended warranty, and with a TV, I can't imagine buying without getting extended coverage....a question to ask though...

Technically, with standard rear projection TV's, you're supposed to get them recalibrated every 3000 hours (at about the same cost of bulb replacement if you have an expert do it), but truth be told the TV's these days are getting better at keeping their guns aligned...

#17 EZC-Boston

EZC-Boston

Racing Season...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:15 AM

we just got this:

Samsung 46" Widescreen HD-Ready DLP-Projection TV with DVI and HDMI Input - Silver/Black

Model: HL-P4663W

and it is awesome!!!

I think it is a stretch to say that bulb will need to be replaced every year, unless you really watch TV 24/7/365...

#18 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,999 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:26 AM

we just got this:

Samsung 46" Widescreen HD-Ready DLP-Projection TV with DVI and HDMI Input - Silver/Black

Model: HL-P4663W

and it is awesome!!!

I think it is a stretch to say that bulb will need to be replaced every year, unless you really watch TV 24/7/365...

View Post

Nice tv, what was the price. Like I said, I paid 3300 for the 46 inch about 20 months ago.

#19 EZC-Boston

EZC-Boston

Racing Season...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:18 PM

Nice tv, what was the price. Like I said, I paid 3300 for the 46 inch about 20 months ago.

View Post

I think it was $2099, best buy was running $400 off TVs over 40 inches or something.

#20 Adam

Adam

Another burned out Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,215 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:13 PM

As someone who has first hand knowledge- I'd say check out the new Samsung DLP rear projection- its a 50 inch, and has THE best picture I've seen.

Plasma is great, but burns in, and individual pixels can break. LCD fixes the burn in, but pixels still break.

Standard rear projection gets burn in.

LCD rear projection and DLP rear projection are your best bet- make sure to buy the extended warrantee, and make sure that it covers the once a year maintenance and bulb replacement costs- that will literally pay the few hundred that the warrentee will cost you.