116 replies to this topic

#41 ch19079

ch19079

Dolphin. Its whats for dinner....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:13 PM

so i guess DLP is not the best thing for me to get.

what about LCD? any replacement factors on that?

i do play a good amount of video games. im told Plasma is great, but will burn in an image if you play a lot of games and such.

any suggestions about brands? Sharp, Poloroid, Sony, Magnavox....

im looking to get a 32 inch flat screen.

#42 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,107 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:40 PM

i do play a good amount of video games. im told Plasma is great, but will burn in an image if you play a lot of games and such.

View Post

CH, i would not discount DLP simply over the bulb replacement. I have had mine for two years now, looks just as good as the day i bought it. And someone told me the other day that the CC and BB are now including one bulb replacement in the Extended warranty.

I recommend the ex. warr on all three sets as if they go bad, really no fixing em. But you may get differant opinions on that.

In terms of brands, I have both a 46 inch Samsung DLP and 26 inch LCD. I love them both, and have had no issues with either one.

Also, i do not think that plasma burn in is really an issue, think it was blown a little out of proporation, but do research on that. My gut tells me that was more an urban myth than reality.

One bit of advice, many plasmas that are sold are EDTV, not HDTV. So if the price looks really good, make sure you check the resolution. I am told it really makes a differance, but I cannot confirm

#43 Dan Gross

Dan Gross

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:42 PM

View Post

Understand that every technology has its own "maintenance" issue. With Old-fashioned rear-projectors, it's convergence, for many others (at least in the larger sizes), it's bulb replacement. At the size you're talking about the LCD TV would actually be flat panel (once you get to about 42" you're actually looking at rear-projection TV's with a bulb that needs replacement as well...). Downsides to LCD can include contrast/refresh issues and "dead pixels." Actually with flat panels, both LCD's and Plasmas have a limited life. You are basically giving up "bulb replacement" (about 20,000 hours for projection TV's) for "lifetime of product," though in any case you are talking about 30,000+ hours for a good TV. So when a projection (be it LCD, DLP...) goes "dim" you replace the bulb, when a flat panel goes dim, you'll replace the TV...though it could be a long time depending on your viewing habits.

Last I knew, too, DLP did not go "that low" in size (42" being the smallest I know of)...

I think you're limited to LCD, Tube and Plasma at that size, but don't quote me. :lol:

General caveat is that my info may be dated, as I haven't been keeping totally up since I bought my TV a couple years ago...

#44 Ralonzo

Ralonzo

Hail to the king, baby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:50 PM

2001: A Reply Odyssey

Looks like a big Xmas push for the new generation 1080p DLP upconverting sets. A 62" Mitsubishi DLP 1080i can be had for under $2000, according to the Tweeter flyer I got. Yowza!

#45 rpmfla

rpmfla

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:09 PM

I spent a few months researching and trying to buy a big screen tv. I almost bought the one at woot.com, a 61" Infocus rear projection DLP...its only 7" deep!...but ended up getting a front projector and screen for 600.00 less.

I was fortunate to have access to a pretty good projector so I was able to bring it home and try it out. Other than the drawback of it needing a dimly lit room, I was blown away! Of course, unless you have a really good source (HDTV, DVD, etc.) you are only blowing up a poor image to huge proportions, so you need a good source. I watched a few DVDs and then tried watching the football playoffs. Since I don't have cable (I think I'll get a dish actually), the TV image was disappointing. The DVDs however were awsome...and that was just projected on my living room wall (the projection screen will make a big difference).

I ended up ordering a Panasonic AE900U projector and a 92" GreyWolf screen. It should arrive this week and I should be watching the Superbowl in HiDef.

Oh, and what applies to rear projection pretty much applies to front projection, except you don't have a huge box in your livingroom. Unfortunately, I'll have to replace the bulb after a couple years.

#46 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:21 PM

I spent a few months researching and trying to buy a big screen tv. I almost bought the one at woot.com, a 61" Infocus rear projection DLP...its only 7" deep!...but ended up getting a front projector and screen for 600.00 less.

I was fortunate to have access to a pretty good projector so I was able to bring it home and try it out. Other than the drawback of it needing a dimly lit room, I was blown away! Of course, unless you have a really good source (HDTV, DVD, etc.) you are only blowing up a poor image to huge proportions, so you need a good source. I watched a few DVDs and then tried watching the football playoffs. Since I don't have cable (I think I'll get a dish actually), the TV image was disappointing. The DVDs however were awsome...and that was just projected on my living room wall (the projection screen will make a big difference).

I ended up ordering a Panasonic AE900U projector and a 92" GreyWolf screen. It should arrive this week and I should be watching the Superbowl in HiDef.

Oh, and what applies to rear projection pretty much applies to front projection, except you don't have a huge box in your livingroom. Unfortunately, I'll have to replace the bulb after a couple years.

View Post

You made a great choice -- nothing beats a front projector, as long as you can control the lighting in the room. When you watch the Superbowl in HD, you'll be absolutely blown away!

I have the AE700, and it rocks. The AE900 is slightly better from what I've read (esepcially with contrast ratio).

CW

#47 Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Fan since ....well, a long time.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:28 AM

You made a great choice -- nothing beats a front projector, as long as you can control the lighting in the room.  When you watch the Superbowl in HD, you'll be absolutely blown away!

I have the AE700, and it rocks.  The AE900 is slightly better from what I've read (esepcially with contrast ratio).

CW

View Post

Time for everyone to go back to AVSForums. Samsung (DLP) has announced a new light engine to replace the bulb and the color wheel. Initially thought to be rated at approx 20,000 hours IIRC. Cost should be comparable to a bulb light engine over a short time. It is LED based and the dreaded RBE - rainbow effect - should become a thing of the past.

After last year's Sony successes with their Bravia XBR line of LCDs, and their rear projection SXRD (LCoS), Samsung is fighting back with the new light engine for their DLPs. Could be a while before they show up in sets and expect to pay an early adapter premium (as with all electronic technologies). As it stands today, Sony's SXRD line of rear projection sets (SXRD technology was "borrowed" from their Qualia line of HDTV's, of which their 70" model ran $12,000 to $13,000). I'd love to know if Sony will also adapt their light engines to utilize LEDs as well.

If absolute size (and you can control the light conditions) is one's main focus, front projection wins, but if it's absolute clarity, color depth and film like quality, then they trail Plasma, and arguably LCD, and DLP. This is not to say excellent front projections system don't exist, but $ for $, overall picture quality is not where front projection excels, unless of course you've got plenty of $$$ and can afford a 3-chip DLP projector, but the bulb issues will remain.

As for the 8,000 hour rated life for bulbs (LCD or DLP), it seems those at AVSForums
would have you believe it's more like 3,000 hours and before it dies, there will be a gradual loss of luminance over its life as well.

What is wonderful, is that if you can swing it, there are multiple ways (technologies) to reach HDTV nirvana and as it has been the past few years, the products continue to get better. Stay with a quality brand and you will be dazzled.

#48 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:46 PM

You made a great choice -- nothing beats a front projector, as long as you can control the lighting in the room.  When you watch the Superbowl in HD, you'll be absolutely blown away!

I have the AE700, and it rocks.  The AE900 is slightly better from what I've read (esepcially with contrast ratio).

CW

View Post

Couldn't agree more. I bought an outdated projector (Sanyo Z2) this past November. I have the thing over 20' away from the screen, and the screen is 120". DVDs look awesome, but HDTV is absolutely stunning! This will be the first year I'll have it for the superbowl, so I'm totally psyched. But I can tell you that every sporting event - from hockey, to football, to extreme sports - looks razor sharp. I can't say I've ever been a huge hockey fan (I'm getting more into it, though), but the HD broadcasts on HDNet are incredible. It's truly as though you're sitting in the front row of the arena with the action right on top of you. The puck is clear as a bell and very easy to track, and goals are all that much more exciting since you can easily see what is going on. My projector is the single most impressive addition to my home theater....and I am a HUGE audio fan. Just ask Fez how many pairs of speakers I have..... <_<

#49 rpmfla

rpmfla

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:07 PM

I just wanted to follow up with some comments about my home theater projector that I mentioned above...

I am extremely happy with this purchase. I realize there may be better projectors out there for less money now, but hey, I've been enjoying this set up for a few months now. I must say that even though I have yet to get cable or a dish, there is plenty of HD accessible free over the air...you just need a tuner. I have really gotten into sports broadcasts so much more (and like the person previously mentioned, I am not a hockey fan and I even find myself watching that!).

In basketball games, I can see the individual players, their expressions, follow their movements. In golf, I can see the grain of the grass on the greens. In football, I can isolate on receivers, the QB, or whatever, and pick out individuals. It is just fantastic!

My wife and I are also into computer games, so I put together a home theater PC that allows us to play games on my 92" screen. I have an upconverting DVD player so that is cool too for watching movies (although not true HD).

All in all, this is one of my best purchases ever, and would highly recommend a front projector to sports fans, movie buffs, or gamers. The only real drawbacks are that you need a light controlled space (and who watches TV in a brightly lit room anyway?) and the bulb will need to be replaced after about two years for 350.00.

#50 crackur

crackur

blah blah blah blah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:48 PM

ok can some people give me some reccomendations on 42inch tvs......

I dont need something wayyyyy expensive but I do want a nice tv....just good

anyone? makes and models?

#51 SDS

SDS

What price for a cobra's egg?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:50 PM

ok can some people give me some reccomendations on 42inch tvs......

I dont need something wayyyyy expensive but I do want a nice tv....just good

anyone? makes and models?

View Post

Yes... Buy the Panny 42" EDTV on sale right now at Tweeter.com for $1300. Unless you sit closer than 10 ft to the TV - your eyes will not benefit from the extra pixels in HDTV. This is a GREAT set and holds its own against sets $3k or more.

This is an outstanding deal for someone who isn't anal about having the ultimate TV, but wants a high quality, great looking set.

http://www.tweeter.c...oductId=2185214

#52 crackur

crackur

blah blah blah blah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

Yes... Buy the Panny 42" EDTV on sale right now at Tweeter.com for $1300.  Unless you sit closer than 10 ft to the TV - your eyes will not benefit from the extra pixels in HDTV.  This is a GREAT set and holds its own against sets $3k or more.

This is an outstanding deal for someone who isn't anal about having the ultimate TV, but wants a high quality, great looking set.

http://www.tweeter.c...oductId=2185214

View Post

I will give it a look

thanks

#53 sweetbaboo

sweetbaboo

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:33 PM

just picked up a 50" Sony LCoS 1080p rear projection tv. Do I need to buy an upconverting DVD player now? or should I wait it out and see which format (HD-DVD or Blue-Ray) wins the war?

#54 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:02 PM

just picked up a 50" Sony LCoS 1080p rear projection tv. Do I need to buy an upconverting DVD player now? or should I wait it out and see which format (HD-DVD or Blue-Ray) wins the war?

View Post

Personally I'd go with the HD-DVD player now. A good upconverting DVD player will cost you around $200. An HD-DVD player will cost you less than $400. Compared to what you paid for the TV, what's $200? To top it off, the HD-DVD player upconverts better than most other upconverting players.

HD-DVD is dominating right now, and I think with that much customer penetration the format won't disappear anytime soon, even if Blu-Ray somehow pulls it out. In addition, the picture quality of HD-DVD is (currently) much better than Blu-Ray.

Check out the Amazon sales ranks:
http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm

The #1 selling Blu-Ray disk is ranked 3,084. The #10 selling HD-DVD is ranked 1,187 (and the #1 ranked is ranked 111 - and was 50 yesterday). That's a lot of disks.

http://www.amazon.co...8&s=electronics

In addition, rumors are that lots of companies are starting to flip over to HD-DVD.... For example, Samsung has HD-DVD PC drive:
http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=729477

Panasonic is rumored to make an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray hybrid, and even Sony is rumored to be making a hybrid:
http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=729752

Rats fleeing a sinking ship? Stick with HD-DVD, it rocks.

CW

#55 sweetbaboo

sweetbaboo

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:51 PM

any idea if the Xbox360 plays HD-DVD? or upconverts? i just read something recently about an update that allows it to support 1080

#56 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

any idea if the Xbox360 plays HD-DVD? or upconverts? i just read something recently about an update that allows it to support 1080

View Post

In the next month or so, Microsoft is releasing an add-on HD-DVD player to connect to the Xbox360.
http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=726038

Cheap way to get into high-quality movies.

I have the HD-A1 HD-DVD player and it's absolutely AMAZING.

CW

#57 sweetbaboo

sweetbaboo

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

nice

thanks for the info

#58 bam

bam

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

Great info! I am finally looking for one of these myself and until recently was pretty much clueless to the real of the HDTV world.

Thanks for the info and thanks G.Host for directing me over here.

#59 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:03 AM

Great info! I am finally looking for one of these myself and  until recently was pretty much clueless to the real of the HDTV world. 

Thanks for the info and thanks G.Host for directing me over here.

View Post

Whatcha gonna get??? :P

#60 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,974 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

Recommendation:

Panasonic Projection LCD.

Bought one about a month ago and VERY happy with my purchase. Excellent picture quality, wide viewing angle, and best yet, the price was right.