116 replies to this topic

#81 chknwing334

chknwing334

Giggity Giggity Giggity!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

I own an Elite Pro150 FD (8th generation)60" plasma; my previous television was a Pioneer Elite Pro530--53" CRT Rear Projection. I used to sell this type of equipment. In terms of sheer black level CRT was the only technology that could produce "blacker than black" I got the Elite 60" plasma in Feb. from day one I was blown. For Christmas, I bough a TV for my parents, they wanted an LCD, 32-42" I bought a Panasonic...I forget the model. I was really enamored with the brightness and the true whites. The drawback was their off axis viewing. If you sat three feet off of center, the picture looked all washed out.

If you have the money get a Pioneer Kuro (9th generation are or are already out) That is the best video display on the market. Flat out hands down, one look (properly configured settings) and you will be hooked.

GO GET ONE!!!!!

Now that sounds like a great TV!

#82 BillsNYC

BillsNYC

I'm Drunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:20 PM

Here's a good story for anybody looking.

Went down to FL to see my dad a few weeks ago, who was waiting for me to buy a new TV. He wasn't sure whether to get a plasma or lcd, so I took him to the store and they had both sitting next to each other. I told him to look at the tvs and notice on the plasma you could see the reflection of all the lights and aisle of the store. On the LCD you couldn't see a glare. That made up his mind to go with LCD.

So we went to Sears and they had a 46 inch Samsung for like $1600. They were sold out. Went to Circuit City, same thing. Best Buy, same thing. We looked at other tvs in that price range and the sales guys were of little help saying Samsung was the best in that price range. They also had similar Samsungs (but lower quality/older models) but were charging the same price! Plus, they wanted a hundred bucks for the 2 year service plan. We even looked at some open box "specials" that were only like $100 off the regular price.

So we gave up and had to run into Walmart for groceries and in the back, we saw a 47 inch Philips 1080p lcd that was a store model for $900. The lady said they wanted to get rid of it so she gave it to my dad (who at this point was fed up with tv salesmen) for $800. We took it home, set it up, and my father was amazed at the picture and has been ecstatic with the purchase ever sense. Oh yeah, he got a 3 year service plan for $35 or so.

Moral of the story, you're not going to know the difference between a Samsung, Sony, Philips, or Vizio once its home in your living room unless you're a trained professional or have an amazing eye, so don't buy into the comparisons and hype in the store.

#83 DaGimp

DaGimp

What the!?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:46 AM

Now that sounds like a great TV!

Wow, what does something like that cost?

#84 VOR

VOR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

I've decided on a 58" Panasonic Viera plasma TV (58PZ800U). It's highly rated by both CNET and Consumer Reports. While the Pioneer Kuro Elite probably is the gold standard, it's a lot more expensive and this set is close to it in quality (the only thing I've heard is better on the Kuro is it has deeper blacks). I've heard that the picture beats any LCD (to combat motion blur, LCD's are now being offered in 120Hz, which only adds to their expense) and there's no "looking out a window" effect. The old drawback of burn-in is no longer a problem (there is pixel-shifting technology to prevent images from staying static in one area for too long). The only thing that gets me is power consumption is more, but I'll have to deal with it.

#85 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

I've decided on a 58" Panasonic Viera plasma TV (58PZ800U). It's highly rated by both CNET and Consumer Reports. While the Pioneer Kuro Elite probably is the gold standard, it's a lot more expensive and this set is close to it in quality (the only thing I've heard is better on the Kuro is it has deeper blacks). I've heard that the picture beats any LCD (to combat motion blur, LCD's are now being offered in 120Hz, which only adds to their expense) and there's no "looking out a window" effect. The old drawback of burn-in is no longer a problem (there is pixel-shifting technology to prevent images from staying static in one area for too long). The only thing that gets me is power consumption is more, but I'll have to deal with it.

Actually, power consumption generally isn't higher and in some cases is actually less. The reason is that for an LCD, it uses the same amount of power regardless of what's on. With a plasma, it uses more power when the screen is brightly lit (ie: a sunny Miami scene), but uses much less power in dark scenes (ie: Batman Begins).

http://hdtvprofessor...VAlmanac/?p=406

#86 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

I've always preferred plasmas to LCDs for PQ. However, how are they for gaming? Is it a serious threat to get burn-in, and would an LCD be the better choice here?

#87 VOR

VOR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:55 PM

Actually, power consumption generally isn't higher and in some cases is actually less. The reason is that for an LCD, it uses the same amount of power regardless of what's on. With a plasma, it uses more power when the screen is brightly lit (ie: a sunny Miami scene), but uses much less power in dark scenes (ie: Batman Begins).

http://hdtvprofessor...VAlmanac/?p=406

Cool and thanks. That makes the decision that much easier. Actually I first settled on the 58" Panny because of the ratings and because CNET's TV power usage guide said it was "good" versus most of the other plasmas, which were "bad." But then I read that that was based on making the picture as dim as possible. I guess I can deal with a little more power usage.

BTW, I can get the TV, including shipping, for $2589. If anyone knows where/how I can get it for less (outside of stealing it), I'd appreciate it.

#88 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:16 AM

I've always preferred plasmas to LCDs for PQ. However, how are they for gaming? Is it a serious threat to get burn-in, and would an LCD be the better choice here?

From everything I've read, you don't have to worry about burn-in at all. Now there IS something known as "image retention" or IR. If you watch something like CNBC all day (with the scrolling banners on the bottom of the screen that remain static all the time), then even the "pixel shifting" won't help because all the pixels are the same. However, IR goes away over time if you start watching other stuff -- burn-in is permenant.

It should work fine for gaming, but I'll admit that I haven't tried it aside from some occasional Wii gaming.

#89 VOR

VOR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

Like with anything, the key is moderation. Don't spend hours watching the same channel, or gaming.

#90 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,060 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

Hey guys, do me a favor

I'm thinking of picking up a 42 or 46/47 inch sometime in the near future after the holidays. If you see anything for under $1k (not looking for top of the line super home theater or anything, just a decent 1080p) give me a shout

#91 VOR

VOR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

Hey guys, do me a favor

I'm thinking of picking up a 42 or 46/47 inch sometime in the near future after the holidays. If you see anything for under $1k (not looking for top of the line super home theater or anything, just a decent 1080p) give me a shout

Plasma or LCD?

#92 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hey guys, do me a favor

How far away do you sit from the TV? If it's over 7 feet, you won't need a 42" 1080p set because you won't see the difference. That's what I have in my living room.

http://www.engadgeth...to-screen-size/

#93 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,060 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

Plasma or LCD?

No preference

How far away do you sit from the TV? If it's over 7 feet, you won't need a 42" 1080p set because you won't see the difference. That's what I have in my living room.

http://www.engadgeth...to-screen-size/

Depending on the seat, roughly somewhere between 3 and 8 feet

#94 VOR

VOR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

Checkout CNET.com. You can find a lot of good stuff there.

BTW, I just pulled the trigger on the Panasonic I mentioned above. It will actually cost me $2594 ($5 more) because the other site/store doesn't include the (what I assumed should be included) pedestal base, which costs $299 extra. Good thing I caught that before I ordered!

Edit: I'm in the process of trying to cancel my order. I think prices will drop a lot after the New Year so I'm going to hold out a little longer. They surely won't go up.

#95 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:42 PM

We just ordered the Samsung LN52A750 from Amazon, less than $1900 with no tax and free shipping!

#96 UConn James

UConn James

I'm a little behind on my paperwork

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,308 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:35 AM

We went for this Sony 40" 1080p LCD model at Sam's over the holiday. $997. Link. This is similar to an S-series model there that was going for $1400 earlier in the year.

Not the best, not the worst. The picture on HD programming is just fantastic; watched the games yesterday and it was out of this world how much more you notice. Sound is great (I've had ear problems this year, tho). We're all over-the-air reception and the digital tuner isn't too bad; there's a few channels that the converter box was getting that this doesn't, but on the same token, the channels are now coming in much more consistently/locked whereas the converter's signal was at times jumpy. (My discussion of DTV transition-related activities can be found in another thread, but let's just say I went to heroic lengths antenna-wise in our precise location).

And I may check out a picture calibration DVD. This model has Vivid, Standard and Theater picture modes that aren't so great out of the box... blacks seemed a little washed-out before I did some playing around with the picture controls last night. Or see if my nephew has a Pixar/THX title that I've read all have an optimizer in the Special Features sections. Link. Probably not the greatest calibration, but for our purposes.... (Anybody who can comment on this? Fez?)

Still tinkering with connecting some of our older equipment. DVD player, despite a component connection maxes out at 480p. Progressive is better than 480i, but not much. Probably going to go in for an upconverting DVD player in the near future... maybe the Sony Blu-Ray. (The price of that at Sam's has already gone up by $50 post-holiday :unsure: ). Haven't tried yet to connect the tube to our older receiver.

To the person who thinks that waiting will drive prices down, don't count on it. Prices of teevees always go up after the holidays through the Super Bowl, and this year there is the digital conversion in Feb. which might push more people to pull the trigger. Best time to buy is during the holiday, especially this year.

#97 VOR

VOR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:14 AM

To the person who thinks that waiting will drive prices down, don't count on it. Prices of teevees always go up after the holidays through the Super Bowl, and this year there is the digital conversion in Feb. which might push more people to pull the trigger. Best time to buy is during the holiday, especially this year.

I was "the person," and while a lot of places have jacked-up their prices, I can still get it for $2594. But instead of the place I was going to go with (which has a rep of scamming people by substituting refurbies and poor business practices in general), I'm getting it from Amazon. Their rep is great and they deliver with "white glove" shipping, which means the delivery guys bring the set in, set it up, and take away all the packing materials.

#98 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

We just ordered the Samsung LN52A750 from Amazon, less than $1900 with no tax and free shipping!

You'll love it. We got the 650 version a couple weeks ago. Fantastic tv.

#99 VOR

VOR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

Latest update: I just bought the TV online today for $2408 (!), with regular truck delivery (no white glove, which I didn't think was worth almost $200). I plan on being home when it's delivered and inspecting it to see if it's been refurbished/returned (the site says every product they carry is brand new, but you can never be sure...) and I'll probably give the delivery guy $20 to help me bring it in, wait to take it out, and plug it into the outlet and the cable into it, to make sure it works right.

#100 VOR

VOR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

Latest update: I've been trying to order the TV for the past week, getting the run-around at one place, and then ordering it from another yesterday. Then today I saw the price drop to $2221.99 at one site and ordered it. Later I found it for $2299.97 from Amazon and figured that the $78 more would buy me piece of mind in getting it from a highly reputable seller like Amazon. The thing should ship tomorrow and I should get it sometime next week. Yeah!