23 replies to this topic

#1 chknwing334

chknwing334

Giggity Giggity Giggity!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

I'm thinking of upgrading my polk speakers and have been looking at Klipsch, Paradigm, and Definitive Tech. Anyone have any experience with these? I want something pretty good, but not more than $1000 per speaker. I listened to a few at Rowe in Rochester, and I think I like the Klipsch speakers the best. Also, if anyone is interested in buying a nice surround system of Polk satelites and 8 inch powered sub let me know.

#2 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:42 PM

I *highly* recommend the Paradigm. They're awesome.

I had my choice narrowed down between Paradigm Studio 40s/CC470/Studio 20s and the Klipsch RF7/RC7/RS7. I went to a Paradigm dealer with my wife and we hated the speakers. We went to Ultimate Electronics to listen to the Klipsch and were impressed (not blown away, but impressed). I told some people on AVSForum.com that we thought the Paradigms kinda sucked, and they told us that the dealer must not have known what he was doing (we did get the impression he was clueless during the demo...), so we went to a second Paradigm dealer in the Twin Cities... WOW! We were absolutely BLOWN AWAY with the sound of the speakers. Everything was crystal clear and sounded perfect.

The Klipsch RF7s are good -- but they're more "in your face" than the Paradigms (IMHO). The Paradigms are more refined and let you hear more of the subtle nuances of the movie/music you're listening to.

If you're looking for a new subwoofer as well, I highly recommend this beast:
http://www.svsound.c...b-box-plus2.cfm

I have it and it's awesome, even if I rarely crank it over a "3." :thumbdown:

Here's some pictures of what the speakers look like if you're interested:
http://www.fezam.com...TheaterFinished

I'm sure AJ will have some comments of his own as well :D
CW

#3 yall

yall

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:26 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading my polk speakers and have been looking at Klipsch, Paradigm, and Definitive Tech. Anyone have any experience with these? I want something pretty good, but not more than $1000 per speaker. I listened to a few at Rowe in Rochester, and I think I like the Klipsch speakers the best. Also, if anyone is interested in buying a nice surround system of Polk satelites and 8 inch powered sub let me know.

If you are looking in the $1000 per speaker range, you at least have to hear some Von Schweikerts:

http://www.vonschwei...m/_products.htm

I had a chance to spend a lot of time with one of their very first models and they are simply unbelievable.

(Von Schweikert used to be one of the main engineers at Bose)

#4 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:11 AM

I'm surprised AJ hasn't piped in yet...

One extra peice of info on the Paradigm speakers -- I paid roughly $1,600 for all 5 speakers used. Retail was roughly $3,500 if I recall. I got a good deal (as I usually do on most things :nana: )

#5 chknwing334

chknwing334

Giggity Giggity Giggity!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:45 AM

If you are looking in the $1000 per speaker range, you at least have to hear some Von Schweikerts:

http://www.vonschwei...m/_products.htm

I had a chance to spend a lot of time with one of their very first models and they are simply unbelievable.

(Von Schweikert used to be one of the main engineers at Bose)

Wow, I think I need a pair of the Vanquish!

#6 chknwing334

chknwing334

Giggity Giggity Giggity!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:53 AM

I *highly* recommend the Paradigm. They're awesome.

I had my choice narrowed down between Paradigm Studio 40s/CC470/Studio 20s and the Klipsch RF7/RC7/RS7. I went to a Paradigm dealer with my wife and we hated the speakers. We went to Ultimate Electronics to listen to the Klipsch and were impressed (not blown away, but impressed). I told some people on AVSForum.com that we thought the Paradigms kinda sucked, and they told us that the dealer must not have known what he was doing (we did get the impression he was clueless during the demo...), so we went to a second Paradigm dealer in the Twin Cities... WOW! We were absolutely BLOWN AWAY with the sound of the speakers. Everything was crystal clear and sounded perfect.

The Klipsch RF7s are good -- but they're more "in your face" than the Paradigms (IMHO). The Paradigms are more refined and let you hear more of the subtle nuances of the movie/music you're listening to.

If you're looking for a new subwoofer as well, I highly recommend this beast:
http://www.svsound.c...b-box-plus2.cfm

I have it and it's awesome, even if I rarely crank it over a "3." :nana:

Here's some pictures of what the speakers look like if you're interested:
http://www.fezam.com...TheaterFinished

I'm sure AJ will have some comments of his own as well :nana:
CW

The store that I went to has some pretty knowledgable people so hopefully they have them set up correctly. I think I should bring some music that I am familiar with for a comparison next time. I think the Klipsch may have made a better first impression due to the "in your face" sound that you mentioned. I'll have to spend a little more time listening since accuracy and the best overall performance is more important this time around. Thanks for the info.

#7 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:27 AM

Speakers....yummy :beer:

Does under $2k/pair mean you want to approach that limit and squeeze every drop of speaker you can get out of that budget, or do you want to spend as little as possible while still upgrading from your Polks?

Do you want floorstanders or stand-mounted monitors?

How big is your room?

What percentage of the use will be for music/movies?

Do you want loud, accurate, or both?

Assuming part of the purpose of this system is for movies, I wholeheartedly agree with Fez about SVS. Their subwoofers are the biggest no brainers in audio, and they will transform your movie watching experience.

Don't just visit a place like Rowe...I remember them from when I used to live in Rochester. Go to a dedicated audio shop where all they sell are speakers and audio gear (and maybe video gear, too).

Between Klipsch and Paradigm, I'd personally go with the 'digms as I feel they represent one of the best price to performance ratios in the biz. I've owned speakers from their three main lines (performance, monitor, and studio) and loved all of them. In your price range, the studio line (like Fez has) would be a great choice.

If you happen to be the sort of person who craves detail, realism, and 'presence' from your speakers - with both music and movies - allow me to introduce you to "Maggie". This would easily be my choice for a speaker under $1500/pair, BUT, only if one is willing to set them up properly. Go here and read about 'the offer you can't refuse'. These speakers are only $550, but if you treat them right they'll give you performance that will out-perform a LOT of other systems for 2-3x the money. And by treating them right, all I really mean is 1) giving them enough room to breathe away from the walls of your room, 2) pairing them with a capable subwoofer, and 3) mating them to an amplifier that has some nice, clean current to bring out their best. They create sound entirely differently than your typical cone speaker, they have a very nice contemporary look, and chances are none of your friends will have either heard of them or own(ed) them. If this option looks intriguing, let me know and I'll give you more details.

As for other speakers in your price range, I'll second the nod for the Von Schweikerts....I really liked their little VR-1 monitors. I also really like Totem Acoustic....you can get yourself into a very nice smallish 2-way floorstander for around $1k/pair. Ascend acoustics (http://www.ascendacoustics.com/) is a company that is factory direct and VERY popular among audiophiles on a budget.

And, of course, the Paradigm studio line would be a very nice choice for you....Fez speaks the truth :wallbash:

#8 chknwing334

chknwing334

Giggity Giggity Giggity!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:28 AM

Speakers....yummy :lol:

Does under $2k/pair mean you want to approach that limit and squeeze every drop of speaker you can get out of that budget, or do you want to spend as little as possible while still upgrading from your Polks?

Do you want floorstanders or stand-mounted monitors?

How big is your room?

What percentage of the use will be for music/movies?

Do you want loud, accurate, or both?

Assuming part of the purpose of this system is for movies, I wholeheartedly agree with Fez about SVS. Their subwoofers are the biggest no brainers in audio, and they will transform your movie watching experience.

Don't just visit a place like Rowe...I remember them from when I used to live in Rochester. Go to a dedicated audio shop where all they sell are speakers and audio gear (and maybe video gear, too).

Between Klipsch and Paradigm, I'd personally go with the 'digms as I feel they represent one of the best price to performance ratios in the biz. I've owned speakers from their three main lines (performance, monitor, and studio) and loved all of them. In your price range, the studio line (like Fez has) would be a great choice.

If you happen to be the sort of person who craves detail, realism, and 'presence' from your speakers - with both music and movies - allow me to introduce you to "Maggie". This would easily be my choice for a speaker under $1500/pair, BUT, only if one is willing to set them up properly. Go here and read about 'the offer you can't refuse'. These speakers are only $550, but if you treat them right they'll give you performance that will out-perform a LOT of other systems for 2-3x the money. And by treating them right, all I really mean is 1) giving them enough room to breathe away from the walls of your room, 2) pairing them with a capable subwoofer, and 3) mating them to an amplifier that has some nice, clean current to bring out their best. They create sound entirely differently than your typical cone speaker, they have a very nice contemporary look, and chances are none of your friends will have either heard of them or own(ed) them. If this option looks intriguing, let me know and I'll give you more details.

As for other speakers in your price range, I'll second the nod for the Von Schweikerts....I really liked their little VR-1 monitors. I also really like Totem Acoustic....you can get yourself into a very nice smallish 2-way floorstander for around $1k/pair. Ascend acoustics (http://www.ascendacoustics.com/) is a company that is factory direct and VERY popular among audiophiles on a budget.

And, of course, the Paradigm studio line would be a very nice choice for you....Fez speaks the truth :thumbsup:

I think I want floorstanding speakers, for a mid sized room. I don't know exact dimensions, because they will soon live in a room I will be building in my basement this summer. I would say the majority of the time they will be used for TV and movies, but I am still very concerned with how they sound with music. That is probably my biggest complaint with the polk satelites I have now. Movies sound good, but music is not up to par.

I have a Denon avr 2160 (100 watts per) and a Denon dvd/cd palyer. DVD is using the digital coax, CD is using the optical. I don't plan on listening at extremely high volumes, but I don't want to have to worry if I crank it up now and then. The magnapans look interesting, but I'm not sure if I will have the flexibility to set them up just right.

Thanks for the advice, it gives me a good start on my research.

#9 Alaska Darin

Alaska Darin

Sniping at Retards from the Balcony

• PPP Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,237 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:39 AM

I have Axiom Audio M60s for my mains and I think they're awesome, especially for the price.

#10 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

I have Axiom Audio M60s for my mains and I think they're awesome, especially for the price.

Great call....I love most Canadian speakers (no idea as to why....they just sound great to me), and Axiom definitely falls in the category of tremendous value. Axiom, Totem, PSB, Paradigm, Energy....all Canadian, and all awesome!

AD can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Axiom has a great forum on their main website where one of the owners takes part and helps people with questions. Might be a great resource for the wing.

#11 Mr Info

Mr Info

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:07 PM

Great call....I love most Canadian speakers (no idea as to why....they just sound great to me), and Axiom definitely falls in the category of tremendous value. Axiom, Totem, PSB, Paradigm, Energy....all Canadian, and all awesome!

AD can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Axiom has a great forum on their main website where one of the owners takes part and helps people with questions. Might be a great resource for the wing.

I will ditto the Totems. Probably the desktop Mite (maybe the Dreamcatcher) in your price range. Their sound is very full and deep. The other two I would recommend may have to be found at a specialty dealer: Dali (IKON 1) and Epos (M5) may be around your price range in the bookshelves. Though bookshelves, all three sound amazing. Dali is known for their high-end because of the technology in their patented ribbon tweeter but Epos is no slouch. Plus, all three have a nice finished look like furniture. Their floorstanders are really sweet but start to get pricey.

I have the Epos M16 but it was really tough between them and the Dali IKON 5. If I was going even higher end, I probably would have bought Dali. The Totem STTAF finished a tight third.

If you are sticking with the manufacturers you have stated, a Paradigm model is the only one I have heard and I recall that it sounded pretty good. Klipsch now owns Mirage and Energy which are also fairly-good speaker lines.

#12 Alaska Darin

Alaska Darin

Sniping at Retards from the Balcony

• PPP Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,237 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:10 AM

That is correct. I have NEVER dealt with a company that is as customer oriented as Axiom. They're fantastic and I'm more than a little amazed at the product quality at the price point.

#13 chknwing334

chknwing334

Giggity Giggity Giggity!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

Well, I went with Paradigm monitor 7s. I also replaced the rest of my system with paradigm center, rears, and sub. I went back to Rowe and listened to the different speakers with several music types and found the Paradigms to be the best. I also have the option to upgrade within a year with full credit on the trade-ins. The Monitor 7s were cheaper than what I originally planned on spending (600/pair) but they sounded better than the much more expensive Definitive Techs and Klipschs. Saving some cash on the main speakers allowed me to upgrade the rest of the system right away instead of piece by piece. So far I'm pretty happy with them, they passed the Gladiator opening fight scene test with flying colors.

#14 colin

colin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

lotta good brands there.

to bang the canadian drum, i've had energy (cheapo but still good for me needs at the moment. as good as much much more expensive ones) and they are great for movies.

i got some psb's (think they were the best they had at the time, all nice and laquered and stuff) and they kicked but. there were other good ones, but at the price i really though these were tops.

#15 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:59 AM

lotta good brands there.

to bang the canadian drum, i've had energy (cheapo but still good for me needs at the moment. as good as much much more expensive ones) and they are great for movies.

i got some psb's (think they were the best they had at the time, all nice and laquered and stuff) and they kicked but. there were other good ones, but at the price i really though these were tops.

Energy and PSB kick butt :wallbash:

#16 birdog1960

birdog1960

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:03 AM

Energy and PSB kick butt :lol:

have energy rc 10's (heavy bookshelf speakers) on my patio and for $250/pair they are awesome. Am considering doing my entire home theater with this series.edit: oops now up to $350. i think the closeouts ran out when klipsh bought energy

#17 BuffaloBillsForever

BuffaloBillsForever

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

If you are looking to spend car like money on speakers Revel would be my top choice. Another speaker manufacturer (internet direct) would be Salk Sound if budget permitted. Beautiful speakers and sound amazing.

If you are on a limited budget and can only spend up to a couple thousand on a home theater system or less, there are some quality Internet Direct manufacturers like Ascend Acoustics, Aperion Audio and Axiom Audio. For brick and mortar speakers the Infinity Primus line is about the best bang for buck around. Other quality manufacturers are Paradigm, PSB and Energy. A lot of the brick and mortar brands have a variety of different lines and each are different, so some are much better than others.

For subwoofers you have Epik, HSU Research, Elemental Designs and SVS are just a few that are highly touted among audiophiles.

#18 birdog1960

birdog1960

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

If you are looking to spend car like money on speakers Revel would be my top choice. Another speaker manufacturer (internet direct) would be Salk Sound if budget permitted. Beautiful speakers and sound amazing.

If you are on a limited budget and can only spend up to a couple thousand on a home theater system or less, there are some quality Internet Direct manufacturers like Ascend Acoustics, Aperion Audio and Axiom Audio. For brick and mortar speakers the INFINITY PRIMUS line is about the best bang for buck around. Other quality manufacturers are Paradigm, PSB and Energy. A lot of the brick and mortar brands have a variety of different lines and each are different, so some are much better than others.

For subwoofers you have Epik, HSU Research, Elemental Designs and SVS are just a few that are highly touted among audiophiles.

Do you have much experience with these? found at $139 each for the primus 362 which looks to be the top of the series. using the bookshelfs in the series for rear channels , a matching center channel and infinity sub and yer at about $800 (could even use a small Hsu sub and end up around $1K) for a 5.1 home theater set up that looks killer at first glance. I'm having trouble matching my energys (cherry finish) for all 6 channels and this might be a good alternative. have you ever heard this set up in an HT application?

#19 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:59 AM

If you are on a limited budget and can only spend up to a couple thousand on a home theater system or less, there are some quality Internet Direct manufacturers like Ascend Acoustics, Aperion Audio and Axiom Audio. For brick and mortar speakers the Infinity Primus line is about the best bang for buck around. Other quality manufacturers are Paradigm, PSB and Energy. A lot of the brick and mortar brands have a variety of different lines and each are different, so some are much better than others.

I can see you spend time on the audio forums :thumbdown:

#20 BuffaloBillsForever

BuffaloBillsForever

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

Do you have much experience with these? found at $139 each for the primus 362 which looks to be the top of the series. using the bookshelfs in the series for rear channels , a matching center channel and infinity sub and yer at about $800 (could even use a small Hsu sub and end up around $1K) for a 5.1 home theater set up that looks killer at first glance. I'm having trouble matching my energys (cherry finish) for all 6 channels and this might be a good alternative. have you ever heard this set up in an HT application?

The Infinity Primus 362 are a steal at that price. It is a very well engineered product. In blind listening tests that have been published, the 362 was preferred by listeners to speakers costing up to $4000 dollars! The technical measurements (on-off axis, etc) offered from both Harman as well as from 3rd parties show this speaker to perform well above its price class. The matching center is is a good idea because it will match tonality/timbre to your mains which is very important. "Matching" the surrounds is less important unless you need to match the finish of the speaker itself. At a higher price there are some excellent dipole and quadpolar surround designs that will offer a more enveloping surround experience for home theater but for multi-channel music listening some prefer the conventional directing-radiating surround.

If you are willing to go up to $1k, some of the lower priced models from HSU, SVS and Elemental Designs will offer bang for buck for the subwoofer and great performance to fill in the lower end. This will be an excellent setup for the price.

BTW what Energy model do you have?