In-Car (Portable) GPS'

#2 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,233 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:01 AM

Just thought I would post this here.Recently purchased the Magellon Maestro 4250. Overall I am ver pleased with it. The points of interest thing is awesome for me as I am on the road often saves me ton of money on 411 calls looking for Kinkos, or Panarea(free Wi-FI), etc. And I must say sometime the directions are a tad wacked, but that is just me knowing traffic patterns, time of day etc a little better.

Two things that do not work so well. The integrated traffic is a piece of chit. Get it free for 3 months, then its $5 a month. That would be worth 20 times that if the damn thing was even 50% accurate, but i just cannot trust it as it is so ofetn wrong.

Also, the voice recognition kinda sucks. I would say that in my old car with medium wind noise(96 explorer) , gets about 50% of what I am tryoing to tell it to do. I just do it manaully now so as not to get frustrated

#3 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:04 PM

http://gpsinformation.net/

#4 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,489 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:15 PM

http://gpsinformation.net/

Added to the first post, thanks.

#5 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

Is there anyplace or any way to get cheap map updates for Garmin GPS units? I want to update the maps, since I just found a few local roads that aren't on my unit, but Garmin wants $70 for the update - and the unit was only $129. If I have to pay that much I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get a newer GPS.

#6 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

Is there anyplace or any way to get cheap map updates for Garmin GPS units? I want to update the maps, since I just found a few local roads that aren't on my unit, but Garmin wants $70 for the update - and the unit was only $129. If I have to pay that much I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get a newer GPS.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

#7 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:23 AM

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Not that I know of. Map data is expensive to produce, and therefore is expensive to purchase...

#8 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

Not that I know of. Map data is expensive to produce, and therefore is expensive to purchase...

There's got to be a way for them to make it cheaper, either through subscriptions or something. IMO it's a little ridiculous to expect customers to buy map upgrades for old units when you can buy a new unit (with the latest maps) for $25-30 more.

#9 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:46 PM

There's got to be a way for them to make it cheaper, either through subscriptions or something. IMO it's a little ridiculous to expect customers to buy map upgrades for old units when you can buy a new unit (with the latest maps) for $25-30 more.

You sure you can buy a similar unit for the same price? I haven't shopped for a few years, but I know I can't get a GPS like the one I have for $120. Then again, I paid $700 3-4 years ago... But the screen on the thing is huge and easy to read, which I like, unlike the smaller ones they sell a lot of nowadays.

Dunno.

#10 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

You sure you can buy a similar unit for the same price? I haven't shopped for a few years, but I know I can't get a GPS like the one I have for $120. Then again, I paid $700 3-4 years ago... But the screen on the thing is huge and easy to read, which I like, unlike the smaller ones they sell a lot of nowadays.

Dunno.

There's no way I'd be able to spend $700, and if it was $700 to replace versus $70 for the map update, then I wouldn't complain. But I've seen similar models to the one I got last Christmas (a Black Friday deal, but not much off the regular rate for a StreetPilot c330) that are pretty close to what the Missus paid last year (around $120.)

#11 Jim in Anchorage

Jim in Anchorage

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,125 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:24 AM

$2.98 gas station road map-priceless.

#12 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:48 AM

:)

#13 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

So assume one for every 50 states = $150. And those maps usually don't have details for the entire state.

Add in all of Canada and you're up another $100.

Not to mention wasted gas when you drive past your exit and don't realize it for several miles. :)

#14 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,489 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:07 PM

So assume one for every 50 states = $150. And those maps usually don't have details for the entire state.

Not to mention wasted gas when you drive past your exit and don't realize it for several miles. :)

And the maps aren't very good at telling you where the nearest gas/hotel/restaurant is located from where you are at that moment.

#15 Jim in Anchorage

Jim in Anchorage

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,125 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:23 PM

Have they stoped puting up exit signs?

#16 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,541 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:24 AM

Have they stoped puting up exit signs?

What happens if you decide to go off-road?... Or take a hike... Will the road map give you the topo... What about blue chart on the water? Electronic "bread crumbs" too!

I love my Jeep TrailGuide (Garmin Quest II)... Docks into the OEM set-up... Even clips to a bike... No folding a map, fits in a shirt pocket, and is waterproof/submersable.

#17 Jim in Anchorage

Jim in Anchorage

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,125 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:15 AM

What happens if you decide to go off-road?... Or take a hike... Will the road map give you the topo... What about blue chart on the water? Electronic "bread crumbs" too!

I love my Jeep TrailGuide (Garmin Quest II)... Docks into the OEM set-up... Even clips to a bike... No folding a map, fits in a shirt pocket, and is waterproof/submersable.

I am by no means making fun of gps- I got my first one in the early 90s[when they only
"saw" 8 satellites-walking under a tree and you lost your signal] I fly in Alaska and the Garmin 296 is fantastic-I wonder how I lived without it[lost a lot] But as far as driving on the road system-well I guess it makes a long trip more interesting but you can do without it. [course I suppose I dont need a 42 inch t.v. but I choose to keep it].

#18 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,541 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:48 AM

I am by no means making fun of gps- I got my first one in the early 90s[when they only
"saw" 8 satellites-walking under a tree and you lost your signal] I fly in Alaska and the Garmin 296 is fantastic-I wonder how I lived without it[lost a lot] But as far as driving on the road system-well I guess it makes a long trip more interesting but you can do without it. [course I suppose I dont need a 42 inch t.v. but I choose to keep it].

I have GPS in both vehicles (a marriage saver!) yet still only have one 20" TV that is almost 20 years old.

#19 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:56 PM

So you've never once missed a turnoff...? :)

And I guess you haven't been to WNY in a long time where the street signs are so faded you really can't see half of them. :D 0:) :beer:

#20 Jim in Anchorage

Jim in Anchorage

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,125 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:56 PM

So you've never once missed a turnoff...? :sick:

And I guess you haven't been to WNY in a long time where the street signs are so faded you really can't see half of them. :bag: :death: :(

No I never said I was perfect-I recall going back to Buff. one time after being in Canada-I had made it all the way from Alaska with a 5 by 7 pocket road atlas then got hopelessly lost in Niagara falls. [This was way pre gps ].