#22 Alaska Darin

Alaska Darin

Sniping at Retards from the Balcony

• PPP Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,153 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

View Postlilannie, on Jan 7 2009, 04:57 PM, said:

Thanks but my name is not Karl, AsSeenOnTV Darin. Do you have the Brian Stann DVD too?
Nice job adding the Brian Stann reference later on.  I had to Google that.  Couldn't come up with anything quick, so had to head back later.

#23 lilannie

lilannie

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

View PostAlaska Darin, on Jan 7 2009, 08:04 PM, said:

Nice job adding the Brian Stann reference later on.  I had to Google that.  Couldn't come up with anything quick, so had to head back later.

The Brian Stann "All American Workout" DVD is the only as seen on TV workout video more ridiculous than P90X. I think they already discontinued it.

#24 Alaska Darin

Alaska Darin

Sniping at Retards from the Balcony

• PPP Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,153 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

View Postlilannie, on Jan 7 2009, 04:09 PM, said:

The Brian Stann "All American Workout" DVD is the only as seen on TV workout video more ridiculous than P90X. I think they already discontinued it.
How would you know that?  Did you spend the money on either or are you surmising based on nothing more than speculation?  

The only thing ridiculous in this entire thread is your inability to admit you have no clue what you're talking about and are simply lumping P90X in with everything else because it's an "infomercial" product.  It's typical of ignorant guys like you.  The fact is, P90x IS world class and WILL give serious results to anyone who can actually stick with the program.  It isn't for housewives or weekend athletes.

But go ahead and spend tons of money on a gym membership and pretend that cardio on an elliptical and tossing around some free weights are how you can get in the best shape.  There's a reason that college football players have to spend serious coin getting ready for their pro days and end up in a facility where they do endless core, plyo, and yoga along with more varied resistance training.  

And for your information, David Akers uses the system and the Philadelphia Eagles Training Staff are using parts of P90X to help get their injured players back on the field quicker.

I'm done wasting my time with you on the subject.  Anyone else who wants to ask questions about P90x or general fitness is more than welcome to chime in.

#25 Pete

Pete

Go Bills!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,974 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

p90x is a sick workout.  I have worked out for over 20 years and it is one of the better ones I have ever tried.  Probodx, yoga, pilates, free weights, plylo, and kettle bells are all excellent workouts too.  To the idiot ripping p90x- how about you try some of those movements?  They are effective and you need to be in shape to do them properly

#26 lilannie

lilannie

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:50 PM

View PostAlaska Darin, on Jan 8 2009, 10:09 PM, said:

How would you know that?  Did you spend the money on either or are you surmising based on nothing more than speculation?  

The only thing ridiculous in this entire thread is your inability to admit you have no clue what you're talking about and are simply lumping P90X in with everything else because it's an "infomercial" product.  It's typical of ignorant guys like you.  The fact is, P90x IS world class and WILL give serious results to anyone who can actually stick with the program.  It isn't for housewives or weekend athletes.

But go ahead and spend tons of money on a gym membership and pretend that cardio on an elliptical and tossing around some free weights are how you can get in the best shape.  There's a reason that college football players have to spend serious coin getting ready for their pro days and end up in a facility where they do endless core, plyo, and yoga along with more varied resistance training.  

And for your information, David Akers uses the system and the Philadelphia Eagles Training Staff are using parts of P90X to help get their injured players back on the field quicker.

I'm done wasting my time with you on the subject.  Anyone else who wants to ask questions about P90x or general fitness is more than welcome to chime in.

Oh my god! David Akers plugs...err I mean uses it! It must be amazing! I take back everything I said about your beloved crappy as seen on TV DVD.

I've come to the conclusion that you're infatuated with P90X because it matches your political views- they're both mass produced, inflexible, work best behind a computer or a television, unoriginal, and are dictated to you by someone else. Why are you so beholden to such a lemming workout? Just admit it- you can't hack it at a gym.

#27 John Adams

John Adams

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

View Postlilannie, on Jan 7 2009, 08:09 PM, said:

I was not familiar with the P90 workout before this thread. The workout itself draws on the fact that the body gets lazy in its workouts. For example, sure, it's great to go to the gym for an hour a day and do the same thing. I mean, it's better than nothing. But as anyone knows who mixes up their workouts or tries something new, the "new" stuff is always harder. That means you're working harder and getting stronger.

Also, the P90 workout seems to mix a lot of things like strenth, plyo, yoga, coordination, etc. This is also great.

Now, is P90 the only way to workout 12 different ways? Obviously not. I follow a core performance plan (they have a system too) and supplement it with some extra stretching and cardio. It's similar to the P90. You can develop another plan. P90 is just another way to get a great "muscle confusion" workout.

The trick of workouts like the core performance and P90? Most people don't want to do them because they are hard. Go to a gym and you won't see people doing the hard moves those workouts require because...they...are...hard.

#28 Robert Paulson

Robert Paulson

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

View PostBuckyFillUps, on Jan 7 2009, 08:03 PM, said:

Only meatgazers go to gyms.

i love that term 'meatgazer'

we had a Brit at work that said it with a British accent- hilarious-

and no, i am not a meat gazer- not that there is anything wrong with it

#29 John from Hemet

John from Hemet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,488 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

View PostHazed and Amuzed, on Oct 16 2008, 05:42 PM, said:

I have a membership @ 4 gyms including PF & Golds(I used to travel a lot).
Planet Fitness sucks if you plan on serious lifting. You're literally not allowed to grunt. I've been asked to tone down my lifting at PF. Golds is exactly the opposite, it's geared for really serious lifters. There are a lot of meatheads at Golds. I actually spend more time at my community Rec Ctr. Never a line for weights and it's closer.

This is a good post.

I have been a member of many different type of gym......Planet Fitness like a gym that will have a lot of nice equipment but will be catered more to your person who is looking to stay in shape, tone up, might be more fine girls at a gym like this, but overall not bad.

When I worked out at golds I had to be really careful not to go overmacho in my powerlifting because you get the steroid freaks in there and everything is a competition......I didn't mind it so much when I was back in the military and even welcomed it....but now I have too many physical ailments to lift like that.

I work out at a gym called Powerhouse now....its a nice mix of everything.

#30 Peevo

Peevo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

I was super hesitant to join a gym for some of the same reasons as said above.  I was fearful of the out right brah chotchery.  I go to Best Fitness on Eggert/Sheridan.

There is some of that there.  Any gym is gonna have its "enhanced" lifters.  It is what it is.  I just want to get in good shape and tone up.  And in 6 months time, I have for sure.  I could BARELY lift 135 on the flat bench.  Now im up to 185.  I can do 4-6 sets of pull ups in a back workout.  Usually 8 reps a set, but sometimes you can only hit 5 or 6 by the last set, pull ups are really hard for me.  

All this talk about re: P90X, I'd say a lot of it is completely legit.  I saw an hour long thing on QVC on it.  Yes, I was watching QVC.  The biggest thing about it is that the marketing pitch is that its challenging and will be hard on your body.  It seems every other product out there is "20 mins a day, easy as pie." And thats not it with P90x.  You work out hard EVERY DAY for 3 weeks at a time. There's a 1 week recovery, then a whole new set of workouts.  The program is designed to combat plateau, which happens inevitably in any workout program.  

I'm no expert, but a lot of that science is true.  You have to stick with it.

#31 meazza

meazza

ASR 1927

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,640 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

View PostAlaska Darin, on Jan 8 2009, 10:09 PM, said:

I just got P90X, will be using it for the Ab Ripper X and the Yoga/Stretching and I do have a tough time keeping up because I've always had terrible coordination so I'm going to be working on the individual exercises before I try and complete the entire series in 350 reps.  A close friend of mine who plays competitive soccer at the league level told me it's one of the hardest workout programs he's ever done and that's saying a lot.

I do enjoy the gym a whole lot more, as I find weight lifting "addictive" and find that a nice hour watching TV and killing it at the elliptical or the treadmill intensively or running outside is also amazing.

Just have to find what works for you.  Consistency is more important than anything else.