Serves: 3 dozen or so
Calories Per Serving: NA
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
1 package yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
5 cups all purpose flower
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup Crisco or Lard
2 cups butter milk
* Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
* Dissolve yeast in warm water, set aside.
* Mix dry ingredients together (I dump them together, and then sift them together into the bowl).
* Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter, or a couple of dinner forks.
* Add yeast and buttermilk, mix well.
* Turn dough onto a lightly flowered surface (I use a piece of plywood covered with an old white pillow case)
* Roll out to about 1 1/2 inch thick.
* Cut with a biscuit cutter and place on a greased baking sheet.
* Bake for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serving Suggestions: Anything requiring biscuits.
Additional Comments: When cutting the biscuits, push straight down and do not twist. You want the sides cut, not sealed, or they won't rise properly.
(Breads) BiB's Biscuits
No replies to this topic